New to board, not new to the DR

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Happy to find a resource board finally. I have been to the country twice and am heading back for my second visit to the north coast this summer in two weeks. So far great help on transportation questions I have listed. I look forward to sharing as well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Come, enjoy, and most important, Spend a LOT Of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Spending money has most certainly not been a problem nor do I expect it to be. I am very generous when I am in the Dominican Republic. I know the appreciation that comes with the extra few pesos in the propina and the service it gets when I return.

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Greetings rms171 and above mods...I'm not a regular poster but have learned much from this site as well as enjoying the many
colorful conversations among the posters.

Looking forward to your shares, and where will you be traveling to?

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Thanks to all for the welcomes. My journeys take me to the Puerto Plata/Cabarete area. Lot of board bashing about these destinations but I'm in love with them. Will be staying in a flat in Costambar this trip as I want a little more quiet than the hustle of the city.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Welcome. While it has been discussed before on this board may I offer an opinion regarding tipping. I am not sure it is interpreted the same. I too am an overly generous tipper, but I have learned that as a repeat customer it is better to be on the cheap side. It's weird, but it's happened too often to not be a trend. I don't know anything about resort culture regarding tipping. I tend to shy away from statements like Dominicans are thus... Anyway, still,workin my way up to 500 posts.

Thanks to all for the welcomes. My journeys take me to the Puerto Plata/Cabarete area. Lot of board bashing about these destinations but I'm in love with them. Will be staying in a flat in Costambar this trip as I want a little more quiet than the hustle of the city.

Cabarete, Sosua and POP rocks you can have an awesome time as I'm sure you know! I love the North Coast.
I recently found out i am a country bumkin speaking spanish in slang which i was not to happy about. I am a city person so eventually I am sure i will move to SD, but for the time being I LOVE IT HERE! We are being taught now by city Spanish people!!

Welcome and enjoy!!

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
Wherever I go I show my generosity to the help. Not a cultural thing at all simply my style and way of conveying appreciation. Put a tip in a pocket before the evening starts and I am golden. Be nice to a bartender and the drinks do not stop. I can sit at a caseta on the Malecon for hours having the best time by simply showing gratitude and letting the evening steer itself. You go from being a gringo on the beach to being a Cheers regular. Not sure if it is that way at a resort, but my preference is to mingle with the locals and stay away from the large hotels in Playa Dorada. The peso goes a lot further outside the resorts. I fumble with Spanish they fumble with English and we all have fun. I am there to have fun and enjoy the people and the culture. I let the money just work itself out.