Do sock puppets really exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I mean, do some people go out of their way to create an extra account and then just act like an a$$hole with said account to rile up other posters??? Just seems so far fetched for me that someone would waste their time on a message board trying to "trick" people into believing their someone else??

and if they are real, why doesnt the admin just delete them as he can see everyones IP?

Maybe im just slow but I dont see the point of becoming a sock puppet.

BTW, just trying to get to 500 posts with a valid question. ;) LOL

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Sock puppets most certainly go out of their way to fool others. Thatoneguy is a
sock puppet. You can tell by his very first post. He just "jumped on board". I
knew right away. Now trying to decipher who it is, is another thing.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Most people who are accused of being sock puppets here usually end up being real posters.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
congratulations!

I mean, do some people go out of their way to create an extra account and then just act like an a$$hole with said account to rile up other posters??? Just seems so far fetched for me that someone would waste their time on a message board trying to "trick" people into believing their someone else??

and if they are real, why doesnt the admin just delete them as he can see everyones IP?

BTW, just trying to get to 500 posts with a valid question. ;) LOL

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Some have been banned many times and have returned with as many socks as you can imagine. The easy ones to spot are the new members with one or two posts who make comments in very controversial threads thinking we don't notice.:)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

you are a simple minded person and i commend you. :) i am more of a nasty, suspicious, cynical b**ch and i know there are people far worse than that.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

It's like Kremlinology.* You have to look for clues to decipher the mystery.

*During the Cold War, lack of reliable information about the country forced Western analysts to "read between the lines" and to use the tiniest tidbits, such as the removal of portraits, the rearranging of chairs, positions at the reviewing stand for parades in Red Square, the choice of capital or small initial letters in phrases such as "First Secretary", the arrangement of articles on the pages of the party newspaper "Pravda" and other indirect signs to try to understand what was happening in internal Soviet politics.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Some have been banned many times and have returned with as many socks as you can imagine. The easy ones to spot are the new members with one or two posts who make comments in very controversial threads thinking we don't notice.:)

And that's what Thatoneguy did that got me thinking.;)

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
It's like Kremlinology.* You have to look for clues to decipher the mystery.

*During the Cold War, lack of reliable information about the country forced Western analysts to "read between the lines" and to use the tiniest tidbits, such as the removal of portraits, the rearranging of chairs, positions at the reviewing stand for parades in Red Square, the choice of capital or small initial letters in phrases such as "First Secretary", the arrangement of articles on the pages of the party newspaper "Pravda" and other indirect signs to try to understand what was happening in internal Soviet politics.

Believe me Celt202, I'm trying! We will know one day who it is. He'll let down his
guard and say something that will" click." :D

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012

The use of "the sock puppet" is just a second level of plausible deniability.

I like the idea of nobody knowing who I am.
It doesn't particularily bother me that I don't know who anybody else is......
Sort of like being blindfolded in a "Fifty Shades....." type novel. :cheeky:
Over time the sense of anonymity can be eroded away for any number of reasons.
Our persona becomes familiar to others and we can become known in our "anonymity".
Or maybe we meet up in some cafe in SDQ or POP or PUJ or even, God forbid, Friusa.....(lol.)
However it happens we might find ourselves a little too exposed to the community.
Voila.........
Enter the sock puppet who can bring back that oh so cherished sense of anonymity......
Or
Some idiot has an ax to grind and is too much of a coward to come out from behind the shroud when he/she slings all those arrows or bullets.
It is a painless way for a person to peddle bs and hate propaganda without having to accept any responsibility for it.

Many reasons, many ways....
The more recent SP who is upchucking all sorts of homophobia across the site is clearly a person who is practiced in the art of using words as weapons. Belligerence and intolerance are two of the most oft used tools of the hate peddler....
Words are important ......
Too important to be dragged down into the mud and slime where these types hang out.....
(imo)

p.s. Congratulations on reaching 500 posts and welcome to "off topic".

Last edited:

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

I had been reading Dr1 for years before I joined or posted anything, and already knew the tone of the forum; I didn`t introduce myself before posting and just "jumped on board" too. That could be easily labeled as "sock puppet" behavior. But I`m not a sock puppet......... or am I????:ninja: JK LOL

Dec 26, 2011
I had been reading Dr1 for years before I joined or posted anything, and already knew the tone of the forum; I didn`t introduce myself before posting and just "jumped on board" too. That could be easily labeled as "sock puppet" behavior. But I`m not a sock puppet......... or am I????:ninja: JK LOL

No. No sock could smell so lovely.

I'm trying my best "jabejuventus", bronzie. I'm trying.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012

LOL! No Aguaita, you most certainly are not!:) Or are you Thatoneguy? :rolleyes: :D Just joshing!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
back when i joined the board i also looked like sock poppet, i am sure. my first post was in mars and venus forums, something in the line that i have found the perfect guy :) embarrassing, no?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I still think some sock puppets are actually contracted by Robert to increase traffic.....:devious:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i believe the technology is no longer in place to check for ip addresses, in any case some people use the same computer and may have in the past been accused of being a sock puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.