Shabby-lookng cheapskates get better prices

Jul 4, 2010
When me and my wife Altagracia go to the local market for our weekly shopping, she insist I stay in the background. She's noticed that if I accompany her, vendors invariably up their prices. It's true. At the monday morning local fleamarket, when I approach a stall that's announcing loudly their prices, as soon as I appproach they raise their price, and when I walk away, they lower them again. I just read the following, which suggest this modality is being used by more sophisticate vendors.

PS By the way, my wife is far from shabby-looking! ;)

Internet businesses caught price gouging customers that visit high-end websites: Always clear your cache, cookies

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
No, I know that this is true.. Even here in the Capital at the local restaurant. When I used to eat there alone I had one set of prices and now I am meeting up with a group of locals and the prices on my food have suddenly dropped through the floor.. This, in spite to the fact that menu is printed out and everything..

ok. I don't blame them so much, *well I do at the deli which should be the one price for all .. but at the stalls that is is what the market will bear.

I remember buying a pair of shoes at the market in Pedernales. They were Sauconys.. my brand. my size. Canteloupe. my color. And they guy was asking 700 pesos. And I said. "Look. I know that I am supposed to stand here for an hour and argue with you and eventually get the price down to 550. But you are Haitian, and I am in a rush. And so, I am just going to give you your asking price, because that is the custom in my country, But I do not want you to think that I am an idiot."

Jul 4, 2010

I remember buying a pair of shoes at the market in Pedernales. They were Sauconys.. my brand. my size. Canteloupe. my color. And they guy was asking 700 pesos. And I said. "Look. I know that I am supposed to stand here for an hour and argue with you and eventually get the price down to 550. But you are Haitian, and I am in a rush. And so, I am just going to give you your asking price, because that is the custom in my country, But I do not want you to think that I am an idiot."

Staying away from my wife while she does groceries at the open-air market, I've walked the aisles of the neighboring flea market, where dozens of stalls dot every street of a large section of town every Monday morning, and have found some incredible stuff. There's one trick I've played more than once to lower prices. I surreptitiously put in my front left trouser pocket the amount I'm willing to pay. Then using my best dramatic display, I pull out the cash along with the pocket lining and exclaim. "This is all I've got, take it or leave it!" ;)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've told this story before, but when Mr. AE and I were in Mercado Modelo in SD several years ago, "they" saw us coming and one said to the other something about some 'pigeons' coming to be plucked. In Spanish, as they assumed we didn't understand. They got an earful from Mr. AE, the look on their faces was priceless. They fell all over themselves apologizing for not recognizing another Dominican.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Staying away from my wife while she does groceries at the open-air market, I've walked the aisles of the neighboring flea market, where dozens of stalls dot every street of a large section of town every Monday morning, and have found some incredible stuff. There's one trick I've played more than once to lower prices. I surreptitiously put in my front left trouser pocket the amount I'm willing to pay. Then using my best dramatic display, I pull out the cash along with the pocket lining and exclaim. "This is all I've got, take it or leave it!" ;)

That's exactly the advice my wife gives me, and I get told to stay in the car as well.

Jul 4, 2010
I've told this story before, but when Mr. AE and I were in Mercado Modelo in SD several years ago, "they" saw us coming and one said to the other something about some 'pigeons' coming to be plucked. In Spanish, as they assumed we didn't understand. They got an earful from Mr. AE, the look on their faces was priceless. They fell all over themselves apologizing for not recognizing another Dominican.

What's interesting about the article is that your purchasing habits are being tracked on line (and it's not only the NSA), and this information is sold to vendors, so when you decide to make a purchase on their site, they have a 'special' price list just for you. And they don't even know you're Dominican! ;)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The problem is most gringos I've seen here look like they don't have a dime, yet the locals know better. :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
When me and my wife Altagracia go to the local market for our weekly shopping, she insist I stay in the background. She's noticed that if I accompany her, vendors invariably up their prices. It's true. At the monday morning local fleamarket, when I approach a stall that's announcing loudly their prices, as soon as I appproach they raise their price, and when I walk away, they lower them again. I just read the following, which suggest this modality is being used by more sophisticate vendors.

PS By the way, my wife is far from shabby-looking! ;)

Internet businesses caught price gouging customers that visit high-end websites: Always clear your cache, cookies

Mirador, I'm confused, I thought your were Dominican or part Dominican. I've seen your picture and look as such.

Jul 4, 2010
Mirador, I'm confused, I thought your were Dominican or part Dominican. I've seen your picture and look as such.

Chip, you are quite correct. I'm a pure-blood Dominican, with not one gmo cell in me (I can show you my pedigree (c?dula) if you so desire). However, those who don't know me personally here in Azua, call me 'gringo' (must be for my blue eyes) ;)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Well, one thing is certain Annie, He didnt listen to anything you said: Just like a dog waiting for a bone.

Wroof wroff-- "money" wroof wroof wroof "Give" Wroof "Asking price" Wroof wroof wroof".

:laugh:

209782_f520.jpg

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
The chica's tell me that they look at zapatos to discern who has coin. I just cant wear cheap shoes. Bruno Magli, and Cole Haan feel too good. I even wear Sperry top-sider's and Salvatore Ferragamo boat shoes to the beach.
Maybe that's why I get over charged for an El Presidente

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, you are quite correct. I'm a pure-blood Dominican, with not one gmo cell in me (I can show you my pedigree (c?dula) if you so desire). However, those who don't know me personally here in Azua, call me 'gringo' (must be for my blue eyes) ;)

What's a gmu cell?

I don't know why you would get treated differently, maybe the gringo accent stuck to you. I've met Dominicans like that who have lived many years in the States.

Jul 4, 2010
What's a gmu cell?

I don't know why you would get treated differently, maybe the gringo accent stuck to you. I've met Dominicans like that who have lived many years in the States.

You missread, it's gmo, which stands for genetically modified organism (GMO). By the way, you don't know me personally nor have anytime seen me in person. My wife says that most peoples reaction to me, here in the campo, is as if Bill Clinton has arrived ;)

May 29, 2006
Nothing makes the prices go up on the beach quite like walking around with an AI bracelet and some freshly cornrowed blonde hair...

"Look at this (knocked)conch shell I got at a tourist shop today, and it was only a 500 pesos!"

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Nothing makes the prices go up on the beach quite like walking around with an AI bracelet and some freshly cornrowed blonde hair...

"Look at this (knocked)conch shell I got at a tourist shop today, and it was only a 500 pesos!"

really? only 500? why didn't you pick me up one too?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You missread, it's gmo, which stands for genetically modified organism (GMO). By the way, you don't know me personally nor have anytime seen me in person. My wife says that most peoples reaction to me, here in the campo, is as if Bill Clinton has arrived ;)

I've seen your pictures, don't forget we are members of a group on feibu. :)

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
My wife has always told me thesame thing. U get the gringo prices, let me negociate...... After a couple of years in the campo, I now go local shopping for chicken, cigarettes, etc.....( zhe rest is home grown). Im blond and blue eyed, speak dominican as if had a seizure( eventhough people actually comment on how fluent I ve become). The trick is to never over pay, if u think they are charging too much tell them as much, once. On thesecond occasion never buy anything again( its happened to me for 15 pesos on a pack of marlborough cigarrettes), theword spreadaround, leople making fun of the vendor, bar time story....... U aquire a reputation of no **** taken, so nobody tries a stunt again.

Out of ure campo, its more complicated to know if they are overcharging. I always run around on a motoconcho in big cities, leave the pickup at supemarket, andthey are real helpful in that case( because they want a tip). And if u need a specific, rare piece of equipment ( like a samsung galaxy 10.1 charger) and dont have time to wait foramazon to deliever, send the motoconcho alone......