Living in Sosua Cabarete Area

vicrussm1

Jul 22, 2013
My wife and I are looking at real estate in the area. My concern is all the rumors about crimes against foreigners. Any suggestions as to how to get those issues out of my list of "why should I take the risk" and buy in the area?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's a big question but if you want to get the crime issue off your list the only short answer I can think of is this:

There is crime all over the world but most people are lucky enough to avoid the worst of it. Like anywhere else you have to take sensible precautions here and learn from the experiences of others. With any luck you should have a pleasant, peaceful time here.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Any suggestions as to how to get those issues out of my list of "why should I take the risk" and buy in the area?

Yes. A simple and standard suggestion: RENT FIRST.

After a while with personal experience you can answer for yourself 1) if you are comfortable in the environment, 2) in which communities you might wish to purchase, and 3) have time to find the ideal property and be more confident that you're paying an appropriate price.

If you have to ask on a forum like DR1 why you should "take the risk" to buy... well, you shouldn't.
But, that doesn't mean you're not ready to try living in the area. I do, and am quite happy.

ps: I'd recommend a gated apartment community at first as it provides a higher level of security and usually provides 24 hour water/electric/security/internet/cable tv for a single monthly rental payment. This way you can accustom yourself to other aspects of living in the DR while not having to worry about any stress while on the home front. Getting accustomed to language, driving, different foods, medical care, standard bureaucracy, and simply learning your way around is enough to worry about for the first few months.

If you have the money to buy anything here without visiting first, then you have probably money to rent here 6 months first.

Yes we are trying to give you a important economical advice for free. We who lives down here 24/7, and using our sparetime on this forum happen to know a couple of the important details about living here.

And the most important is this: RENT 6MONTHS BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
If you have the money to buy anything here without visiting first, then you have probably money to rent here 6 months first.

Yes we are trying to give you a important economical advice for free. We who lives down here 24/7, and using our sparetime on this forum happen to know a couple of the important details about living here.

And the most important is this: RENT 6MONTHS BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING.

Hey Rattus - is that advice applicable to any town one might move to? Like say, if I moved to Sosua, rent for six months but if I decided to buy in Cabrete should I also rent there for 6 months? I'm asking because is it possible for town that are close by to be THAT different? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Yes rent 6months first is a good move as all of us keep repeating here on the forum. This is because when you come to a new place everything are sometimes picture perfect, and you only notice the real life here after some 6months time.

Sosua and Cabarete are different, but if you spend enough time over there- and feel you have seen much of the place you are interested in, then you must decide if you want to buy or rent there sometime as well. The whole idea behind the "rent first" idea is to make you (the investor) to notice the little details, the frustrating noice. The neighbour that has 50 gallinas, or 20 dogs barking all night long. Parties and trafic from the working girls looses its charm very quickly when you have found a life partner and want to enjoy the last paradise on earth.
The list goes on. Noice, crime and weather related changes are the most important details if you ask me.

Of cource there are plenty of nay-sayers. And i understand that, because you can be lucky and get a good place to stay at once. But i personally would not gamble on such a big investment without knowing the area.

Would you buy a house in the US just by pointing a finger on a map, and do not know how it was there?

I hope you understand what i am saying here, since english is not my language.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Hey Rattus - is that advice applicable to any town one might move to? Like say, if I moved to Sosua, rent for six months but if I decided to buy in Cabrete should I also rent there for 6 months? I'm asking because is it possible for town that are close by to be THAT different? I hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

Any barrio. any street. any house can make a world of difference..

I have a buddy who bought a house.. nice neighborhood.. however his neighbor was actually in prison.. he got out and the neighbor house turned into an ex-con meeting place.. all kinds of dangerous people who liked to party till late and work on the gears of the cars etc..

Exactly

And if you rent the place first on mothly basis, or a place nearby you use the time to check out the neighbourhood. Ask why this and that home is vacant. Dont be afraid to say hi to a old neighbour sitting in front of their home. These people knows Everything, and more..