beekeeping in DR

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
I am a backyard beekeeper from the US. I am in Santiago for 2 months to get oriented. When i return to the DR in a few months i will be in a house and I want to continue my beekeeping.

I plan to bring my equipment but I wont be able to bring the bees.

Does anyone have a beekeeper contact that can help me get my hives populated? In the US you can buy a box of bees with a queen or you can split an existing hive or you can buy a nuc.

Thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If no one in Santiago comes through for you, send me a PM when you get back. One of our neighbors leases part of his land to a beekeeping operation, I can find out from him a contact for the owner. The only drawback is we are on the south coast, west of Santo Domingo about 45 minutes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm a bit closer, in POP. i can reach out to our honey supplier (almost sounds like we are up to no good) who has bees on the north coast...

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In Santo Domingo, visit Sesar Rodriguez at the Consorcio Ambiental Dominicano. He is the Dominican expert on bees. The CAD gives a course on bee-keeping. Would be interesting for you to take it to see how things are done locally. It is in Spanish. Tel 829 979 4300

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And your closest neighbor also knows a bit about this and wants to learn a lot more. Have lands --yes plural -- and will work with you..

HB

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
hola, i spoke with our "apicultor" He said no problem, as soon you bring beehive he can do it.
He doesnot know how much to charge, and asked for 700 pesos by beehive.
You know (I don't) if it's fair.
Cordially
P.