What is the average time a Dominican gets up?

It seems they get up at 6am when I go to sleep so all the workers at our place think I am damn ass crazy for waking up at 2pm. They laugh...

I guess it could be b/c of the electricity situation where they don't get much light at night??!!!

They seem to drink so late and get up so early, they are HARD CORE!!!!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
What is the average time an American gets up?

I'm up at 6am today (I'm Dominican) , but after a long night of drinking, I've been known to make it till 12pm :)

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Aside from those who have to get up to begin their commute to wherever their work is, in a lot of homes without A/C the windows are open at night. So a lot of people will wake up when the sun comes up though waking up and actually getting out of bed aren't always the same thing. And a few people have no problem sleeping through the sunlight but I know I couldn't.

I have some family and friends around who lives just like cjp mention.
And if i have been playing on the chickenfights and are not in a condition to be transported to my own bed, i usually wake up early the next morning because of open windows and the sound of roosters, dogs and early workers going to their daily work.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not know but they sure make lots of racket as soon as they open their eyes. they must sleep with a radio under their pillows.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Most dominicans around 6 i believe ,
I know people who get up at 5am then go run and do excercice and then go to work around 7. and this are people around 50 years old :)

Zumba classes and such in santiago are at 6 am so can you imagine ? People like to exercise before they work. ( im talking about upper class people i know, if your average concho driver does it i dont know)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
OMG the title of this thread is misleading or I have a dirty mind these days :nervous:

I Noticed that people in warm countries wake up very early, I suppose before it gets too hot.

Feb 7, 2007
Here in Higuey people that work the morning/day shift in resorts, wake up around 5 am to 5.30 am catch the 6-6.30 am shuttle to their resort.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I think a more interesting question would be what time Dominicans wake up on days where they do not have to work nor do they have any appointments or anything planned.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I'm an early riser - and caffeine junky - like my father and grandmother before me. My son has also inherited the condition - minus the coffee so far - and he can't understand why people 'waste time' sleeping. The DR early morning start suits me just fine. I don't know many Dominicans who sleep in on weekends but I'm sure they exist. People probably take naps rather than sleeping in. MrC is also an early riser but has a nap at every opportunity.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The usual time for waking up in the DR (city pretty much) is from 5 to 5:30 a.m.

School bound kids are taken out of bed around 6, when there are only one or two kids at home. When the count is any higher and the number of baths below 2, the wake up time is the same as the adults (or pretty much as soon as the adults are done with the bathrooms).

This is the reason why "desayuno" in the DR is hearty unlike in some other countries. You must output energy well into "Comida" time at around noon and then skip all the way until "Cena" for a replenishing of proteins.

The usual time of sleep for most adults in the DR is around 6 hours or less in some instances. That's due to how they manage the "Medio Dia" siesta before heading back out to the street for their second tour.

I think that past 40sh you're lucky if you can get 5 hours of sleep at all. Most of the time is 4 or less if and when.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
After years of analysis, I've noticed that a Dominican's wake-up time depends on where they work and at what time they get in.
For example, I have a friend that lives in Santiago and works in La Vega and wakes up at 6AM. Another one works in Plaza Internacional and wakes up at 6:40A. I kid you not, it's fascinating stuff.

Naturally, Americans are completely different. I've read they wake up and shower after they get to work.