There's a Rat in my Kitchen

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I've had quite a few rats make camp at my condo over the years. I live on the first floor. That's part of the problem. They can just walk right in the front door or the balcony door and make camp. I like keeping the doors open during the day so that the ocean breeze can flow through the condo--keeping the mold in check.

Anyway, I had a large uninvited guest in my condo last year. This uninvited rat enjoyed running around the condo at night and using it as is own personal playground. The first thing i learned about rats is this: They can jump! He had a standing vertical leap of about 4ft. He would stand at the bottom of my stove and get into a 45 degree squat--just like cats do--and then take a vertical flying leap and land right on top of the stove. It was amazing. I tried contacting the NBA.

Once on the stove, he took to camping out in the cabinets and filling himself up on cereal, baking flour, catnip and Cheetos. Then he would take a nap on the baking flour, and then emerge after his nap covered in white looking cocaine powder around his eyes and mouth. He would then hop back down onto the stove, then onto the sofa where he took another nap, and then he went into his secret hiding place which was underneath the sofa but somewhere inside the seat cushions.

One night I came home from work with a street cat that we keep at work; this cat keeps the rats and mice in check! He was the real deal. I released him and went back to work. Eight hour later i returned to a horror show.

It was something out of a science fiction movie. I walked into the kitchen and saw on the floor, the cat and the rat playing with each other. No really. they were taking turns chasing each other back and forth. They were best friends. It wasn't long before they were actually sharing the sofa together. It was straight out of a horror film.

What could i do? I put a do not disturb sign on the kitchen door, shut it, and went to bed.

True story.

Frank

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've had quite a few rats make camp at my condo over the years. I live on the first floor. That's part of the problem. They can just walk right in the front door or the balcony door and make camp. I like keeping the doors open during the day so that the ocean breeze can flow through the condo--keeping the mold in check.

Anyway, I had a large uninvited guest in my condo last year. This uninvited rat enjoyed running around the condo at night and using it as is own personal playground. The first thing i learned about rats is this: They can jump! He had a standing vertical leap of about 4ft. He would stand at the bottom of my stove and get into a 45 degree squat--just like cats do--and then take a vertical flying leap and land right on top of the stove. It was amazing. I tried contacting the NBA.

Once on the stove, he took to camping out in the cabinets and filling himself up on cereal, baking flour, catnip and Cheetos. Then he would take a nap on the baking flour, and then emerge after his nap covered in white looking cocaine powder around his eyes and mouth. He would then hop back down onto the stove, then onto the sofa where he took another nap, and then he went into his secret hiding place which was underneath the sofa but somewhere inside the seat cushions.

One night I came home from work with a street cat that we keep at work; this cat keeps the rats and mice in check! He was the real deal. I released him and went back to work. Eight hour later i returned to a horror show.

It was something out of a science fiction movie. I walked into the kitchen and saw on the floor, the cat and the rat playing with each other. No really. they were taking turns chasing each other back and forth. They were best friends. It wasn't long before they were actually sharing the sofa together. It was straight out of a horror film.

What could i do? I put a do not disturb sign on the kitchen door, shut it, and went to bed.

True story.

Frank

UB40 - Rat in Mi Kitchen - YouTube

hahaha, Bronxboy; beat you to it..

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Here is the original version..the song starts at around the 28 second mark. there is a fantastic trumpet that starts at the 3:40 mark:

[video=youtube_share;xkz71zy8T8s]http://youtu.be/xkz71zy8T8s[/video]

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Buy a box rat trap with a slam shut door. That way you can catch the critter unharmed and release him miles away for him to start a new life. You can get Toxoplasmosis from rats which is very dangerous. You should throw away any thing the rat touched and wash the area with cloro.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You can always try to touch his feelings by singing to him, and then politely asking him to leave.

[video=youtube;A0LiYT1tXhA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0LiYT1tXhA[/video]

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
just get some glue traps and glue his arse. real easy. works every time

Rats/mice are resourceful/smart. They get used to glue traps and go around them. You might have to entice them by putting a small delicacy in the middle of the trap so as to disorient them (I'm surprised the cat didn't do the job).

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Buy a box rat trap with a slam shut door. That way you can catch the critter unharmed and release him miles away for him to start a new life. You can get Toxoplasmosis from rats which is very dangerous. You should throw away any thing the rat touched and wash the area with cloro.

The only thing worse than finding a dead, crushed rat in a trap is to find a live pi$$ed off (who bans the word pi$$ on a forum??) rat in a trap. Screw humane, its a rat. Get regular rat traps, the kind that slam down and crush its neck/back. In a couple nights, it'll be done.

Great story btw. Loved the complicit cat!! hahaha

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
The biggest rat of all!!!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fEiDUSOzXt8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Sammy the bull? Smartest rat of all.... lol

While the boss continues to become one with the earth, he'll get to the see the light of day someday.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The first place that I had in the Capital was a third floor one room with a kitchen. It had windows on all three size and was the cost of a parking space in a garage in NYC.

I adored it and used to think how pleased my mother would have been with the charm of it all.

On the ground floor there was a Domoicnan restuarant which did a lot of catering and did their prep work and cooking outside. I used to look out on the rats running around on the ground amid the scraps. Welll no, I didn't eat there.

Things were fine. Ok laundry was a problem but I learned how to just get in the shower with my clothes on and then strip and finish washing them in a bucket. But when it came to the sheets and towels, I had to get a cleaning lady who would take the stuff home since my mother's ghost came to tell me that the damp sheets hung across the bed sit,sometimes for two days in the rainy season, obliterated the charm.

Then one night I cooked my favorite eggplant parm.. triple garlic special.. and the rats.. which were Norwegian but clearly came from the Med and had deep, deep, garlic in their roots, invaded the apartment. They came in through the kitchen window, Little ones came in. Big ones came in. The little ones could hop from the sink, accross the toilet, accross the shower, out the window.

Really, I had lived there in peace for a year before the invasion. It was the garlic that brought them. And once they came. They came every night. I sealed the kitchen and bath windows every night.. or so I thought. But they are wiley. I think that they can shrink themselves.

Norway rats have to keep chewing. Their teeth keep growing. The little ones,, ok.. cute enough.. The bigs ones.. HUGE. I spent too much time researching them on the internet. They do not make good pets.

I tried to sleep one night, hunkered down under my sheet, aftraid they were going to start crawling over me, trying to fend off the critique's of my mother's ghost.

The next day the maid came in and killed three big ones with her feet. They were living behind the fridge.

I went out to find the new place.

No rats so far.

I am surprised that only one rat is living with you. He is clearly a selfish rat.