Telephones

Status
Not open for further replies.

jook

Banned
Jul 1, 2013
Hi,

I found some stuff related to my questions but nothing specific. Sorry if this is repetitive.

First, I am in the US and my girlfriend is in Santo Domingo. We have only known each other a short time. My Spanish isn't the greatest and the same for her English. Hopefully, we can overcome this barrier. Anyway, she lost a brand new unlocked phone I bought her. The phone was in my name. I know I can kiss the phone goodbye, but I had a lot of minutes and a 3 month data plan on the phone. Does anyone know how I can report this? I found a Claro number for English but it was only good for plans and they told me there is no English speaking number for prepaid issues. Claro won't speak to my girlfriend since the phone is in my name.

Second, I need to get her a new phone. I'm thinking of the blackberry curve since that's what her mom uses and she can show her how to use it. She doesn't adapt well to electronic stuff very well. Specifically, I was thinking of this - Amazon.com: Blackberry Curve 9360 Unlocked Quad-Band 3G GSM Phone with 5MP Camera, QWERTY Keyboard, GPS and Wi-Fi - US Warranty - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories. Is this a good choice? Is there a more economical blackberry that will work with Claro? Or is there a better choice of phones? It will primarily be used for chatting with me (whatsapp or an equivalent - I have an iPhone), messages, email, phone and camera.

[I need to get it unlocked since her lack of credit will not allow her to sign a plan and frankly, I don't want to be obligated for a plan for her.]

Thanks.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
blackberry 8520 is one of the most versatile and economical choices imo.. one can be bought now for like 70$ in the Dr.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't mean to stir the pot, but 'I lost my phone' is a very common ploy to get the boyfriend [or girlfriend] to send a new one or money. Take a look through the Mars & Venus Forum, if you're not familiar with this phenomena.

I'm not saying this is what happened in your case, but since you're new to DR and this girlfriend, it's best to be aware.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Drop her! don't throw good money after bad. Good relationships can only be had in the Santiago area :)

Has her grandmother been sick often?

If claro could give you a list of the phones usage, u would see her Dominican bf has the phone.

jook

Banned
Jul 1, 2013
It seems strange that the Blackberry 8520 is more than $30 cheaper in the DR than amazon. Do you know where it can be bought in Santo Domingo.

Guys, I know for a fact the phone was lost but thanks for the advice.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Man wake up !! That's the oldest trick in the book... "I lost the phone"... Probably she sold it to a friend and now she will suck another brand new one from you... ha ha ha !!!

Drop the girl and keep your money...

This, from a woman.

If she want to stay in touch with you, she will get a phone under 5minutes. (The time it takes for her chulo to drive the moto you probably are paying on down to the colmado)

Watch out for:

Lost phone, send new one, we do not have phones in this country. So only option is to send one. Or send money Alot.

Grandmother sick, needs meds- no she dont now the name nor the price of the pills. Send alot of money asap..

Need new apartment because i cant live with my "primo" in the old one. Not certain of the price, but primo can get a good deal-....

Brother, mother, father, grandmother, burro need operation, only you can help. Not certain of price, but will check out.

The list goes on.

Sorry you are being framed. No we are not using time of our life just to make you miserable.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Phones lost by girls with overseas boyfriends can usually be found at pawn stores. I don't know how they end up there, but they always do. Must be coincidence.
I know this sounds rough, man, but if I were you I would get someone to call the "lost" number from a local DR phone number. If the "lost" phone had a lot of minutes and 3 months worth of data, my guts tell me the phone might be lost, but the sim card somehow survived.
Here we're not judging your girl, but it's just such a common trick that girls just do it without thinking, and her friends will also push her to do such things. Listen to those who know the territory.

jook

Banned
Jul 1, 2013
Once again, a million thanks for the advice. However, please read the last sentence of post #5. Gracias.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
If you're not here, how can you know for a fact ?? Who told you the phone was lost ?

Anyway, if you say so...

Last edited:

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Come on people, the man asked for advice on getting a new phone not on whether we think he's being played or not. Either way, he hasnt given enough info for any of us to make that determination so how about we help the guy with what he asked instead of trying to "help" with something he needs no help with.

I mean $hit, we know nothing about his situation to start saying his girlfriend this and his girlfriend that. As hard as it may be to believe, he might have a decent campo girl that attends church weekly...we dont know so we shouldnt speculate.

Last edited:

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
You can buy phones here locally in many places. You have all the orange/claro/viva outlets where you can buy them directly from the cell providers.

www.Orange.com.do
www.Claro.com.do
www.Viva.com.do

If those prices are too expensive and you dont mind dealing with people, you can always use a "craigslist" type service here in the DR.

eMarket.do
Tanque de gas, Motorola droid, Suzuki forenza, Samsung infuse, Consola ps3 en la mas completa de RD - Lapulga.com.do
MercadoLibre Rep?blica Dominicana - Donde comprar y vender de todo.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Come on people, the man asked for advice on getting a new phone not on whether we think he's being played or not. Either way, he hasnt given enough info for any of us to make that determination so how about we help the guy with what he asked instead of trying to "help" with something he needs no help with.

I mean $hit, we know nothing about his situation to start saying his girlfriend this and his girlfriend that. As hard as it may be to believe, he might have a decent campo girl that attends church weekly...we dont know so we shouldnt guess.

I think OP's question was answered.
But let me ask you something: if you see a guy standing on a bridge fence looking down and you pass by him, wouldn't you tell him "don't do it"?. I mean, maybe that guy just happens to be bird watching, but what if he isn't and what are the odds he is? Wouldn't the odds be enough to at least try to do something to save him?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if your girlfriend has a job (ha ha ha ha ha) she can get a new smartphone with a contract at any claro store, gratis. if she does not have a job she can ask one of her other boyfriends to help her out. granted, most motoconcho drivers are not registered but maybe she also has an ace like legally employed delivery boy, that will do.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I think OP's question was answered.
But let me ask you something: if you see a guy standing on a bridge fence looking down and you pass by him, wouldn't you tell him "don't do it"?. I mean, maybe that guy just happens to be bird watching, but what if he isn't and what are the odds he is? Wouldn't the odds be enough to at least try to do something to save him?

Good point. I guess if I was sure he was going to jump, i'd yell dont jump. But maybe he's just fishing? Maybe he's smoking a doob. What if I yell dont jump, scare him, and he falls?!?!?! LOL

My point is, other than the girlfriend losing the phone, nothing else was said that could lead one to believe that she's one of the typical bad ones. I mean, she could be, but why put doubt in the mans head if he's happy? At the end of the day, we could be wrong and he hooked that one in a million but now were putting doubts in his head, see what I mean?

Apr 13, 2011
If you are going with a Blackberry, then just get it locally like NV is saying.

Have someone teach her about finding wifi areas to use data.
I have noticed many people in the DR with Smart Phones, but no data plans. The phone is primarily used as only a phone/camera (and a status symbol depending on what model they have).
And some, when they first get data on their phone - they use it up as if it was unlimited. So either show her how wifi works - or have someone show her.

jook

Banned
Jul 1, 2013
Thanks to the majority to responding to my question, not reading into it things that weren't relevant or true. I don't feel the need to justify to anyone how I know for sure it was lost because again, it is irrelevant and none of anyone's business. Besides, I'm a multimillionaire and have nothing better to do with my money.

I was most interested in the blackberry because her mom has one and she'll have someone to teach her. Again, thanks for all the options.

jook

Banned
Jul 1, 2013
Amazon.com: Blackberry 9220 Curve Unlocked GSM Quad-Band Smartphone with Wi-Fi, 2MP Camera and 7.1 Blackberry OS International Version/Warranty - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Regarding the above model, I had a friend check out prices at a claro store on el Conde in SD and it was 7795 pesos. Amazon is about $60 or so cheaper. How can I ensure that she gets the Spanish language version? Is anyone familiar with this model blackberry? As I stated, she wants a phone for the following reasons: as a phone, camera, chat with me on whatsapp or similar application and for email.

Also, are there many wi-fi spots available in Santo Domingo? If so, where?

As for buying minutes and data, I was buying minutes for her and myself on etopuponline.com and ezetop.com. I have 2 issues now. She's using an old cell phone with limited capabilities that I can't seem to refill with either service. The number starts with an 809 area code. I thought all cell phones began with 829 or 849. Anyway, this is definitely a cell.

In addition, when you buy minutes, how do you allocate a portion for minutes and another portion for data?

Many thanks.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
He just aint listening is he....lets hope that as time goes on he will keep us all updated on the adventures of the new phone

Status
Not open for further replies.