Why no Tchuk-Tchuk in DR ?

PeterHeirman

May 3, 2013
You can find Tchuk-Tchuk's (3wheelers) in most countries in Asia.
vitesse-tchuk-tchuk-513958.jpg

They are safer than the mototaxi's in DR and would appeal to not only tourists but also locals for transportation.
So why are there no Tchuk-Tchuk's in DR ?
is there any law or tax reason that makes them not economic viable ?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I've seen one in Higuey on sale. I assume the price to purchase one is too high for the average Motoconchista...

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

They are safer than the mototaxi's in DR and would appeal to not only tourists but also locals for transportation.

The look a little less than secure and durable to me. Maybee that's why.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have also wondered this after using them in Asia. Far better than a motorbike.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Costs too much money.

There are similar vehicles in Samana, but they are trailers behind bikes.

Besides, lane splitting on that vehicle is almost impossible.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
those are COMPLETELY useless. you cannot drive on the back wheel only to impress the girls, can you? and you cannot lie down on the wheel and seat while going down the hill with neck breaking speed. useless. no bueno.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Three wheel vehicles have an inherent instability and are not therefore that safe. That being said I expect these vehicles are not being imported because the transport unions would see them as competition where motorcycle taxis now aren't seen that way, mostly.

May 29, 2006
Funny because buses in Haiti are called *tap taps.* it would be an interesting coffee table book to have all the kinds of public transport out there. In Haiti they paint all kinds of murals on the buses.

In the Philippines, they have the Jeepney:

A-Philippine-Jeepney.jpg

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
They were here upto about 10 years ago when they were deemed too dangerous and banned (i am willing to be corrected on this).
i think the last street in SD that used them was Ave. Tiradentes.
Set up for passengers to sit sideways (usually 6 - three on each side).
I seem to remember most were black with yellow roofs.

They were called "cuquitas" or "bajas".......bloody nuisance, kept getting in the way.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Ever seen the movie Perico ripiao ? There is one in the movie lol

In spanish ( stares raymond pozo ) but old movie but actualy one of the beter dominican ones. anyway i like it

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Several reasons:

The biggest one is that they don't outlive the streets of the DR and make up for a rough ride. They have a harder time avoiding the potholes.

They had a few back in the 80's on the streets and soon after were put in the graveyard. Mostly used in some delivery scheme until their suspension and frames had it with the streets of the city.

Maybe now as the streets are less accidental and traffic a bit more less chaotic, may they work a bit better.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yep they did have them in Santo Domingo in the late 80's early 90's. When my current wife first went to visit The DR that's what we used to take around Tiradentes.