Meaning of the colors on the Dominican flag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I've seen a wide variety of statements about what the colors of the Dominican flag represent. Although there is largely agreement about red (bloodshed) and white (peace), I'm not sure about the blue. Some say the blue represents God, others say it represents the sky, and yet other say it represents liberty and freedom.

Does anyone know what the blue color is officially supposed to represent?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The only flags in area that is now the Dominican Republic, which Haiti occupied (some would say legally) in 1822, were the Haitian red/blue flags derived from the French flag, minus the white--for reasons understandable--and so when the group of young Trinitarians needed a flag they just sewed a white cross on the Haitian flag. Some years later they decided to alternate the colors, with blue on the top next to the flag staff.
HB

Note: General Ramiro Matos, former Army Chief of Staff and I think Minister of the Armed Forces, wrote the book on the history of the flag...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Did you guys know it's a crime to disrespect the flag? During Trujillo when they were raising the flag you had to stop at attention or you'd be arrested. When I was growing up we would still do that, not sure if kids or people do anymore. Anyhow since most of you on this thread have disrespected our flag I think it's time you guys spend a bit of time in a re-education camp (maybe somewhere near Jimani would be my choice)

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
This is a question asked on the DR Citizenship interview which is conducted in Spanish :-

4. ?Qu? significan los colores de la Bandera Nacional?
 Rojo: Representa la sangre derramada por los patriotas en las batallas para conseguir la independencia.
 Azul: Representa el cielo que cubre la Patria, que Dios protege la naci?n dominicana y los ideales de progreso de los dominicanos.
 Blanco: Representa la paz y uni?n entre todos los dominicanos.

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Why the F*ck are you mocking the Dominican flag? How dare are you? Bunch of SOB's. Mock your freakin flag instead.. Our country welcomes you with hospitality and respect and this is your pay-back. Don't like it, the f*ck out. We don't need you. Our country is blessed by the Almighty, no other has our beaches, our people are friendly and welcome you with a smile.
Go back to getthos and slums and leave us alone..

Status
Not open for further replies.