Transportaci?n

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Hello,

Once I get settled, wherever that may be, what would be the best mode of transportation? Buying a car seems a bit expensive, renting a car as needed seems impractical and a moped seems a little too unsafe. I don't know how to drive a motorcycle, however I'd be willing to learn.

The moped option seems like the least practical. I imagine I'd be limited to driving it on non-rainy days and only during day-light hours. Not to mention storing it where it's safe from theft when not in use.

Same with motorcylce

Car seems like the best bet, but what kind of car would I get for the 5-7K USD range? I totally want the chromed out bumbers and hella dark tint too...that's how I roll, son! No, no really. But if that's what I'd have to ride, so be it.

Usage would entail whatever local beach access there is. Weekly trips to the store for groceries. The odd trip out of town to do/visit something on the http:////www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/135971-top-10-must-do-things-north-coast.html

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
This is seriously not the place to come to learn to 'ride' a motorbike.

You can easily get a vehicle for around that price, but you'd need to know your stuff pretty well and what to look for, that is the price range that will create issues. Buy a car for 5-7K that actually costs 25K.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for this much money you could have the car i had and sold just now: 12 years old honda capa. tiny yet surprisingly spacious and comfortable. that's on the lower end.
check this site for ideas: SuperCarros - Rep?blica Dominicana - compra de carros, venta de vehiculos
you will be looking at something 10 years old or over. honda and toyota are most popular brands here, followed by other japanese/korean stuff like mitsubishi, nissan, hyundai, suzuki.

personally i would not think about motors, especially if you have no previous experience. roads here can be dangerous.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Buy an old Toyota Coralla.
There are used parts on every corner, and guys to fix them for cheap.
Buses go to every corner of the country.
There are HUGE ones for cross country, middle size ones for inter city, and little ones for in town.
They are very cheap.
There are cars that drive routes all over most town, or jump on the back of a motor bike for short trips.
None of the "Above" can be called "Safe", but that's for you to decide.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
This is seriously not the place to come to learn to 'ride' a motorbike.

You can easily get a vehicle for around that price, but you'd need to know your stuff pretty well and what to look for, that is the price range that will create issues. Buy a car for 5-7K that actually costs 25K.

What do you mean "Buy a car for 5-7K that actually costs 25K"?

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Daaaaaaaaaamn! Are you kidding me? Ok. Car. Definatly car. Does car insurence work the same way there as is does here? I don't expect anyone to break it down....got a good link?

Thanks. That picture was worth more than a thousand words.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i never figured out how exactly does the insurance work... there is seguro de ley, the basic insurance that will cover the costs to the car you hit. and there is full insurance that will cover your car too. but you can only get full insurance for a newer car, up to 10 years? someone will know exact number.
as far as i can make out the age of the driver nor his accident history matter.
full insurance for my capa was something like 20k pesos a year.

for the money you are looking to spend you should be able to get a 10 year old corolla. it will take you places. and will be easy to sell when you are ready for a change.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I would say depends on where you end up moving to. You probably wouldn't need the same vehicle living in Santo Doming as you would in Jarabacoa.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
I would say depends on where you end up moving to. You probably wouldn't need the same vehicle living in Santo Doming as you would in Jarabacoa.

Couldn't agree with you more there, KateP. And for the OP, if you're going to live en la capital you're free to PM me.

Makinater

May 4, 2013
Probably a good choice. It's more of a chaos down here! I love it, but I know it's not for everyone.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if i can drive here, anyone can. for 5 years i managed driving around without an ability to park between cars standing back to front. parallel parking? whatever it is called, i cannot do it. la sirena parking lot is the top of my abilities (cars side by side). so relax. buy a small but sturdy car and keep your eyes open!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
It would be a good idea to listen what these people are telling you. The second you are in a accident your paradise will turn into hell.

And here you need money when they are patching you together again, lots of it.

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r642/TrondK/GringohealtcareRD_zps495c85ae.jpg

This is what you get without money:

kw9t.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
or without insurance. get one as soon as you come to DR. you will thank us all later...

Makinater

May 4, 2013
or without insurance. get one as soon as you come to DR. you will thank us all later...

Can you recommend any company and/or policy in particular when it comes to car insurance? I know I have to get one, but still haven't had the time to check it out since we got like 100 other things to do until we're a bit settled here.