Best pica pollo in santiago

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
I like pica pollo and tried a lot of places, but there is this 1 pica pollo that is the best fried chicken you can get, it beats real kfc from far.

place is called "kenTONY fried chicken. It is a little carito like for empanadas, but he does fried chicken. He has the perfect saus mix. He has been doing this for 30 years. Yes this little beat up carrito has been there for at least 3 decades. He used to make fried chickens there with his uncle as a child. His spice mix is so perfect, you used to get a pechuga and platano for 50 peso and be satisfied. Now i recomend paying 100 peso (2 pieces).

He opens around evey night around 6 and sells out everything he has 2 hours later. You have to be on time because he is famous to be the best in santiago and some rich people from acros town even go to get some kentony. He has enough chicken but he just sells so much on 1 night , he's around for decades.

Its on the 1 corner to the right after you pass Francepan on el 27 de febrero and villa progresso. Right infront of the colmado. Across the street is the collegio publico and the entrance to go to los cerros and cerritos .

Culinary trip ;) so good if you dont likeyo eat from a carito. I honestly had people saying better than kentucky fried chicken ? And later they agreed with me

Please go there and tell me what you think ;) if you tell me its better somewhere else after you tasted kentony, i will go and taste it where you claim is better even if you have aten the best in dajabon.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I like pica pollo and tried a lot of places, but there is this 1 pica pollo that is the best fried chicken you can get, it beats real kfc from far.

place is called "kenTONY fried chicken. It is a little carito like for empanadas, but he does fried chicken. He has the perfect saus mix. He has been doing this for 30 years. Yes this little beat up carrito has been there for at least 3 decades. He used to make fried chickens there with his uncle as a child. His spice mix is so perfect, you used to get a pechuga and platano for 50 peso and be satisfied. Now i recomend paying 100 peso (2 pieces).

He opens around evey night around 6 and sells out everything he has 2 hours later. You have to be on time because he is famous to be the best in santiago and some rich people from acros town even go to get some kentony. He has enough chicken but he just sells so much on 1 night , he's around for decades.

Its on the 1 corner to the right after you pass Francepan on el 27 de febrero and villa progresso. Right infront of the colmado. Across the street is the collegio publico and the entrance to go to los cerros and cerritos .

Culinary trip ;) so good if you dont likeyo eat from a carito. I honestly had people saying better than kentucky fried chicken ? And later they agreed with me

Please go there and tell me what you think ;) if you tell me its better somewhere else after you tasted kentony, i will go and taste it where you claim is better even if you have aten the best in dajabon.

better is subjective. what i know is that you cannot duplicate the kentucky texture without a pressure fryer, and nobody here has one. at least, nobody i have seen, so, they might have an awesome seasoning, but the texture is always stringy on the inside.

Dec 26, 2011
better is subjective. what i know is that you cannot duplicate the kentucky texture without a pressure fryer, and nobody here has one. at least, nobody i have seen, so, they might have an awesome seasoning, but the texture is always stringy on the inside.

I prefer Popeye's to KFC.

Thanks for the tip, H.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I learned something today. And I want some spicy Popeye's and their red beans and rice. Peach tea. Damn.

there was a visionary Dominican guy in Samana who bought one, and shipped it here from the States. it was really expensive..it was a Henny Penny...big bucks. he got very sick, and passed away. his useless son let it sit in the yard and the salt air caused it to rot. the dunce did not even know what it was. when i saw it, it was too far gone to repair. the thing must have been sold for scrap metal by now.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
KFC is crap. ate there once and the chicken was rotten. as in f**king stingy, gooey and green. never again. but you got me interested in kentony. i will try when miesposo is done with his orlistat pills. they don't mix well with greasy stuff.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The best fried chicken I've had is at Pollo Licey. I'm not even sure if KFC's is real chicken, after all the roids they feed them. In fact I grew up in South Carolina eating fried chicken but the best I've had has been in the DR. I will try the new place as I ride by there frequently.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
KFC is crap. ate there once and the chicken was rotten. as in f**king stingy, gooey and green. never again. but you got me interested in kentony. i will try when miesposo is done with his orlistat pills. they don't mix well with greasy stuff.

where did you have it?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am now hooked on Popeye's fried chicken after eating KFC for years! It is so good!

Popeyes is the best thing out there. their batter and choice of seasonings is ahead of Kentucky. the Kentucky 11 herbs and spices thing is a myth. it is mostly salt and MSG, with some fine ground black pepper. i can duplicate it in my kitchen, and you will be hard pressed to tell the difference.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
where did you have it?

nowhere in DR. it was in poland, probably 15 years ago or so. i do not need to try KFC any more. one experience with rotten meat was a plenty. i will never eat in KFC again, i can hold the grudge forever. if they could serve that once they will serve it again. heck, one of subway workers posted on FB a picture of himself smacking his dick on a sandwich he was making. think it does not happen elsewhere? think again. i'd rather have the pica pollo. the seller is in the open, i don't see him flipping his to beat my tostones.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
nowhere in DR. it was in poland, probably 15 years ago or so. i do not need to try KFC any more. one experience with rotten meat was a plenty. i will never eat in KFC again, i can hold the grudge forever. if they could serve that once they will serve it again. heck, one of subway workers posted on FB a picture of himself smacking his dick on a sandwich he was making. think it does not happen elsewhere? think again. i'd rather have the pica pollo. the seller is in the open, i don't see him flipping his to beat my tostones.

you also did not see that the oil he was frying your tostones with came out of the crankcase of a Caribe Tours bus.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
LOL

KFC in the states is one of the worst fried chickens. On the other hand, their bbq chicken (shredded) sandwich used to be amazing, 20 yrs ago.

KFC in this country is one of the most disgusting places to eat. I dont know how this company still exists here in the DR. Im amazed everytime I drive by and see dominicans eating there when a few minutes away in any direction is a chinese pica pollo which is always 100 times better.

Popeyes screwed me over one time so bad that I ended up in the hospital due to food poisoning. Just the thought, makes my stomach churn.

In this country, its chinese pica pollo or nada.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you also did not see that the oil he was frying your tostones with came out of the crankcase of a Caribe Tours bus.

can be, but no dicks, see? ;) and i think dominicas are generally simple minded people, unlike europeans or americans. they see no point in stirring some man jizz into your morir sonando.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
can be, but no dicks, see? ;) and i think dominicas are generally simple minded people, unlike europeans or americans. they see no point in stirring some man jizz into your morir sonando.

not until you pi$$ them off. then you better get checked for cholera.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Seriously, I prefer the KFC in the DR over the chinese pica pollo any day!

Agree with this, tried the kentony place today, I guess it was OK, if KFC is a 7.5/10 I'd give kentony maybe a 5.5-6/10 .. Home made buttermilk fried chicken gets a 9.5 or so, if some southern mama was to make it in her properly seasoned cast iron skillet I'd give it a 10.

Kentony not really worth it unfortunately, tasted reheated, stringy meat, no sweetness to breading, just oregano and spicy flavor which was pleasant maybe if the chicken was fresher. I arrived right at 6pm so maybe it was chicken from lunch refried, who knows.. also, as gorgon pointed out, it was obvious the oil was very used before our chicken was fried. I don't like chinese style pica pollo at all either.. damn I'm picky.

Now if you want the best dominican style pica pollo on the entire island, find villa hollywood in La Vega, there is a pica pollo called pica pollo chapulin, everyone in the area knows it ( it's only about half a kilometer from the cathedral/park ) , this place has the VOLUME needed to keep fresh oil and chicken going, I know for a fact he uses MSG which is part of the reason I like it so much :)