Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Invertor Over Voltage Protection

We have been experiencing overvoltage coming from Edenorte - anything up to 270 volts on the two phases. ie 135 Volts AC on each side of a Double Monofacia supply. It may have gone higher and only lasts for a few minutes so it is difficult to measure but it may be enough to blow appliances , light bulbs etc.

Do all invertors have overvolt protection whereby they switch over to batteries if the voltage goes too high from the street supply? If not which ones have it ? Trace/Xantrax? etc

Olly and the Team

2. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just checked the manual on my TRace DR3624 inverter and it doesnt mention any overvolt protection. Mind you, this is an old Trace (around 15 yrs old) so the new ones might have that feature.

Sorry I couldnt help more.

O and 270V?? Holy crap? Has anything electronic survived??? Make sure to talk to protecom after this to make sure they reimburse you for damaged electronics. Take pictures of volt meters and such. Video of the repair men fixing it, etc.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

NV_ ,
    Thanks for the advice. Not sure which invertors have overvoltage protection !

Olly and the Team

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This one does and its one of the best. pure sine wave.

PROsine 3.0

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

My older Xantrex SW has programable hi-low volts setting that cut off street power and switch to battery until street power comes back into the programed limits. The SW series is great and has been replaced by a new generation of SW units. There is a place in Santiago that still has/had the older units. But this is only for the 120 V that go to/thru the inverter and not the whole house.

I also have two small devices for the generator auto-disconnect. One for high and the other for low that cuts off ALL street power using the auto switch. The generator start is separate in our case since our SW inverter controls the generator. This might be cheaper to install and protect everything. Your inverter would see "no power" and do it's thing.

I think you are in my area so if you want to see my set-up, feel free to say so.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I talked to my electrician about this. He said he could install a security in my home for such powerproblems.
    He said it could be programmed to turn off the power to your home if it were to high or to low.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus_Rattus View Post
    I talked to my electrician about this. He said he could install a security in my home for such powerproblems.
    He said it could be programmed to turn off the power to your home if it were to high or to low.
    You too can come by and see what I have. Older system; simple and it works. I have NO idea about the costs back then or now. But might be a good alternative rather then replacing good inverters. ??

I do have a fairly good electrician that will have out in the next week or so. I'll have him work up a materials list and installation costs if you wish. Please advise.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Olly...I have a Trace DR3624 with 4 batteries...Since my time here in the DR (POP-PUJ-SDQ-Cabrera_Abreu etc etc) the only company I have been happy with is Trace..I have used all the "creole" type inverters and they either, exploded, melted or just didnt work with the requirements I had...BUT...I can say, since 2006, Trace inverters have an overload protection..they also have a lo volt protection too...If you have any Trace inverter of 3 kilos and over...the display will show "lo" or "hi" depending on the voltage when there is a surge or other and that will protect any equipment you have connected to it...The Trace DR series are FAB inverters and well worth the investment...Sorry I cant be of any more help without actually knowing what you guys have, but keep with Trace dude, and you cant go wrong..PS-stay away from Dominican so-called "voltage regulators"...they will do more harm than good!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    We have been experiencing overvoltage coming from Edenorte - anything up to 270 volts on the two phases. ie 135 Volts AC on each side of a Double Monofacia supply. It may have gone higher and only lasts for a few minutes so it is difficult to measure but it may be enough to blow appliances , light bulbs etc.

Do all invertors have overvolt protection whereby they switch over to batteries if the voltage goes too high from the street supply? If not which ones have it ? Trace/Xantrax? etc

Olly and the Team
    Olly, I have a Wave Platinum that I purchase in Santiago from Megatone. It has over voltage protection. But, if you the inverter you have doesn't have this "protection" you can also buy it separate. Check out this ...

Megatone - Wave Lite PP2500N1ES

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

3.6 Trace unit, this will be year # 16!
    Sure makes the fans "BUZZ" however!
    But I won't "Fix" it cause it "Ain't Broke"!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

12. Likes NV_ liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast