How honest would they be...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
The National Honesty Index conducted a 10 day "honesty" experiment across the U.S.

The organization put unmanned kiosks selling Honest Teas for $1 in 61 locations nationwide.
The experiment tracked the participants? honesty and broke the data down by state, gender, hair color, hair length, facial hair and accessories.

Overall nationwide, a 92% honesty rate was seen.

How would the Dominican Republic fare in a similar test?

Just how honest are Americans? | HLNtv.com

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If that experiment was done here with an unmanned Kiosk...................
The first thing said would be...............
Where's the Kiosk ?.............

B in Santiago

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
in america you would presume you are being recorded so not very good experiment - i remember the days in the uk when farmers left their produce at the end of the farm track with an honest box

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Shoot, they'd be lucky to still find the kiosk there if they left in anywhere in SD.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
DR government controls would officially release the rate as 100%.
Although the kiosks are supposed to be unmanned, there will be people registered on the government payroll to look after them (just in case).
4% of whatever is found in the boxes will be used to continue teaching people about honesty.
A lot of PLD politicians will suddenly become millionaire tea merchants. No one would be without an 'honest tea'.
Kiosks will be developed based on a flimsy class structure. Ones you can go to and ones you wouldn't be seen dead in.
A tax will have to be paid for the right to take a free tea, whether you want one or not.

Etc., etc..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that's bullcrap. easy to be honest when a dollar is at stake. if there was enough money in it for me and good chances of getting away with it i'd be stealing left, right and center.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I wonder what would happen if a company called "Honest" Tea revealed a study saying most people aren't honest. Come on guys, get off the Kool aid.

I have found money and valuables on the street before, returned it to owner at once i came home- or when i managed to find the owner.
I even worked for the state museum as a hired digger/searcher with metal detector. (try to work for the museum in your country on gold rich archeological sites, and see waht they answer you..) I Have found priceless valuables. Never kept a thing, never asked for anything.
Yes i worked alone, could for sure have kept whatever i wanted, no one would ever know.

So yes if you are honest your reputation follow you. Sorry for being boring..

Aug 21, 2007
Yes i worked alone, could for sure have kept whatever i wanted, no one would ever know.
Sorry for being boring..

God or the universe or karma or fate or your conscience or whatever you want to call it would know. That's enough for me. And, no, this isn't about religion.

Do not ever apologize, Rattus_Rattus, for being a person of integrity.

Lindsey

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
in america you would presume you are being recorded so not very good experiment - i remember the days in the uk when farmers left their produce at the end of the farm track with an honest box

jr, they still do that in south Jersey where I live - a wooden stand full of produce, and a shoe box to leave the money.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have found money and valuables on the street before, returned it to owner at once i came home- or when i managed to find the owner.
I even worked for the state museum as a hired digger/searcher with metal detector. (try to work for the museum in your country on gold rich archeological sites, and see waht they answer you..) I Have found priceless valuables. Never kept a thing, never asked for anything.

I wish there were more "boring" people like you in the world.

A couple of summers ago, Mr. AE was crossing the main street near the beach [here in NJ] walking home, and there sat a wallet in the middle of the street. He brought it home and handed it to me. Inside was ID from several states to the south of us, a wad of cash and credit cards. I looked up the phone number using the driver's license, but of course no one was home - they were at the Jersey Shore. I left a phone number. That guy was overwhelmed when he got the wallet back with everything in it. He tried to tell me to take some of the money. A week or so later I received an expensive bottle of perfume in the mail and a thank you note. Poor Mr. AE got nothing. :paranoid:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This just in 15 kiosks installed in different areas of the DR to conduct honesty test!

Results: insufficient data due to 14 of 15 kiosks were stolen. Most were found broken into pieces in a fashion that they may have ben confused for stand alone bank machines. The one machine remaining was on Pedro Clisante Sosua where it was avoided like the plaque.
Conclusion: Most honest people in DR in Sosua!

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011

Some people are honest, some are not. It has nothing to do with the amount.