Interesting Commentary On the Post Trujillo Era

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I agree too Frank. Trujillo's reign is analagous to Castro's, a tenure that day-by-day gets more recognized for the positives it yielded (those same that the author relates to the Trujillo era). Trujillo's fault, IMO, was allowing to be influenced, as suggested in the article, by the geopolitical dynamic of the time (Hitler, Mussolini, etc.). The resulting Parsley Massacre has been a blight on Trujillan legacy ever since then.

May 12, 2005
Trujillo's biggest mistake was bringing in Johnny Abbas and letting him run wild (SIM, the Mirabal sisters). The second was trying to kill Betancourt bringing unwanted attention on him and the country. I think that the average Dominican had a better life under Trujillo than the average Cuban has had under Castro.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I bet those Dominicans did not live during the Trujillo era (like my father did, still aliving).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you'd be surprised, bronzie. i explained the dynamics of longing for trujillo before. your average dominican lived a better life...

consider your average jose. he works all day, in the evening he has a beer, plays dominoes and bonks his wife. on sunday he dons his best clothing and goes to church. his life is uncomplicated. he is not interested in politics, he has little education, he displays zero curiosity. goes through life without ever making a significant decision. jose lived well under trujillo. that's all jose knows. jose had enough food to put on the table, jose's kids went to school that was free and his wife gave birth in a hospital that was free as well. jose did not close the door of his house at night, did not worry about his daughter getting raped or his son doing drugs. life was easy and simple.

this is all jose wants back. peace and safety. jose does not care about parsley massacre. about regime victims. jose cares about small things. jose cares about his family, his 2 goats and his little casita. even a bit smarter dude, licenciado jose, remembers the dollar price and that international debt was paid and people lived well...

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Just this late afternoon an author from San Francisco de Macoris was interviewed by Telenord and the show will play at 10pm tonight. The topic was exactly Trujillo and como era un hijo de gran puta. Whoever has anything good to say about Trujillo needs their head examined. The stories I heard tonight about the 1930's and 40's gave me goose pimples. Trujillo was the only ladron and owned the country. By 1954 he was worth multi billions of dollars and one of the richest men in the world. Can't we agree that he was one big son of a bitch.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Maybe it would be good for Dominicans, but keep in mind that it may
not be good for foreigers. Although Trujillo was okay with foreigners
nobody can predict how the next one will be. Be careful what you wish for.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i take great interest in dominican politics and daily affairs. i have not seen much negativity towards foreigners among politicians.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know few politicians too. never got a hint of hatred... i think if there was to be a social unrest it would not be directed towards foreigners. we are far and between, harmless, strange, stupid even. but not a major source of misery. haitians, yes, they'd be in trouble. but not pasty whites, gringos.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
i know few politicians too. never got a hint of hatred... i think if there was to be a social unrest it would not be directed towards foreigners. we are far and between, harmless, strange, stupid even. but not a major source of misery. haitians, yes, they'd be in trouble. but not pasty whites, gringos.

The locals are always the victims of social unrests, riots . You are correct.

Apr 13, 2011
I agree with dv8 - there is not a hatred to any foreigners, though we are seen as potential for running a scam on, or charging a higher price, or some way to get money because of the belief that "the foreigner must be rich if they can afford to come here to the DR..."
And - I also agree that there is a hatred towards Haitians - some comments and generalizations that many Dominicans make about Haitians make me think about stories I heard about people in other countries back in the 1930s. There is still a high level of anger and blame when some Dominicans refer to Haitians.