what are the options in terms of temporary cell phone services in santo domingo?

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Guys, please help me here
I will be in santo domingo for 8 days from the 27th returning on the 3rd of August. I would like to have the option of using my unlocked iphone, mostly to get online, what are my options?
Can I buy sim card for 8 days where I will have internet access and voice? What are my options?
Please, help
Thanks

Bahoruco

Jun 24, 2011
Buy a prepaid SIM card

This is straightforward, assuming you have an iphone capable of using the GSM standard (i.e. not CDMA).

You buy a prepaid SIM card with any of the mobile operators (Claro, Orange, Viva; all of them operate the GSM standard).
The card will cost you 100 pesos. You should let activate a data subscription separately.
If you are lucky, you can even buy a prepaid SIM card on the airport, but bring your passport.

If you don't have a GSM-capable phone, you could buy locally the cheapest phone which will cost you between 15 and 20 USD (incl. prepaid SIM card). But you will only be able to make voice calls. You can then use your iphone for data connectivity through WIFI, free wifi is available on numerous locations (hotels, bars,..).
You can get this cheap phone unlocked (i.e. unlock the 'operator lock) in shops which repair phones, generally in shopping malls (e.g. Plaza Central on 27de Febrero in Santo Domingo).
To make roaming calls (i.e. call outside the D.R.) with this card, read this post.