Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Homeless Dog * animal not person*

    well, here it is - I started feeding this homeless dog that ‘lives’ in my neighborhood around the corner table scraps that ordinarily would go in the trash from my lunch and dinner, anyway needless to say the dog has fallen quite in love with me, happy as hell when it sees me (even when I am trying to ignore him because I am simply walking to the colmado for a beer) follows me wherever I go when it does see me and not in a begging for food kind of way but more of a 'companion' type way, just hanging out walking beside me ( the locals are always amused at this sight) anyway as the weeks pass into months lately I have been thinking about getting into a more formal relationship for example buying a bag of real dog food, scheduled feeding times, food and water bowl, doing something about those fleas that seem to be plaguing him and ashamed to admit I envisioned him on a leash and joining me during my morning run- anyone had a similar experience? Am I headed for heartbreak here? more trouble than it's worth? Jeez now I wish I never fed him, but he is such a sweet little scrawny thing, just wants a companion, if I lost everything today I would go looking for that dog and hit the byways and highways with him...

  2. Likes mainegal, frank12, localhistorybuff liked this post
  3. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,890
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    That's why they call them man's best friend....
    So easy to fall in love.

  4. Likes Harleysrock, localhistorybuff liked this post
  5. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    14,857
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigP View Post
    well, here it is - I started feeding this homeless dog that ‘lives’ in my neighborhood around the corner, table scraps that ordinarily would go in the trash from my lunch and dinner, anyway needless to say the dog has fallen quite in love with me, happy as hell when it sees me (even when I am trying to ignore him because I am simply walking to the colmado for a beer) follows me wherever I go when it does see me and not in a begging for food kind of way but more of a 'companion' type way, just hanging out walking beside me ( the locals are always amused at this sight) anyway as the weeks pass into months lately I have been thinking about getting into a more formal relationship for example buying a bag of real dog food, scheduled feeding times, food and water bowl, doing something about those fleas that seem to be plaguing him and ashamed to admit I envisioned him on a leash and joining me during my morning run- anyone had a similar experience? Am I headed for heartbreak here? more trouble than it's worth? Jeez now I wish I never fed him, but he is such a sweet little scrawny thing, just wants a companion, if I lost everything today I would go looking for that dog and hit the byways and highways with him...
    Keep him!

    Super Moderator
    DR1.com

  6. #4
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    21,792
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I had the EXACT SAME THING happen to me!!!
    Except I married her!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    And I too wish I had never "FED" Her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  7. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well, I don't know if this counts but...
    I have a bag of cat food in the trunk of my car at all times. Stray cats from the parking lot know it and at the slightest sound of my car's engine they come out running like crazy. It's rewarding. You see, the bag of cat food only costs about 250 pesos, and it makes these little animals happy for weeks.
    Yeah, I know what my neighbors are probably thinking, but I don't care.

  8. Likes cobraboy, Harleysrock liked this post
  9. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    31,593
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    if you can, adopt him. take him to the vet for rabies shot and another one of ivermectin (for fleas and some parasites). the stuff is cheap. have him washed as well.

    i too, feed homeless animals. we are now stuck with a third cat. started from feeding her with spaying plans in mind when we found out she was long prego. looking for safe place she simply moved in. stole our hearts. she promptly gave birth and nearly died but she is fine now and her kitties are ready to be adopted.

    saving a tiny life like this may be small and unimportant. but it is rewarding.

  10. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Criss Colon View Post
    I had the EXACT SAME THING happen to me!!!
    Except I married her!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
    And I too wish I had never "FED" Her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    That is super funny !!!!!!

  11. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
  12. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    if you can, adopt him. take him to the vet for rabies shot and another one of ivermectin (for fleas and some parasites). the stuff is cheap. have him washed as well.

    .
    I was thinking about that, can anyone reccomend a REPUTABLE vet in Santiago?

  13. #9
    Gold
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    6,970
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have saved 3 of our 5 dogs, soon to be 4 out of our 6 dogs! There is not a better feeling in the world for me to see a sickly dog (2 of them were on their death bed) get better and you would never know any of my dogs were street/shelter dogs.
    They will protect me i swear more b/c I saved them.

    I have them as pets more than guard dogs but it sure does help that my Irish wolfhound/rottie cross scares the CRAP out of EVERYONE. People stare as we drive down the road with this HUGE dog!
    Vets are dirt cheap here, so it's not too expensive to get shots and the doggy looked at.

    I really hope you do it! No better love than a dog! Sometimes the wife I guess ;-)

  14. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,239
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Personally I think you have crossed a line and are now in no mans land. I had heartache over a similar thing. I started buying salami for this little scruff bag down at my local. She then started following me home, she then started getting food from the house, she then wouldn't leave my front gate. I came home drunk one day and stupidly allowed her into the property. I soon shut her out again in the morning for fear she would consider it home. She became my companion, she even would chase me on the motorbike, I would ride down into town park up outside the store (about 2-3 miles) and then when I would come out there she would be, panting away, sitting on one hip looking very proud of either herself of me. She'd then try to get on the bike with me to ride back, we did accomplish this once after a few presidentes and my riding skills improve dramatically, or so it seems.
    After a few months she became one of the family, in the house at night and kicked out through the day.
    The hassle came when she came on heat and every dog in the neighborhood was at our front door waiting for his leg over, we didn't get to her in time and she had been nailed. A couple of months later we have 10 dogs, 7 female, and all of them yapping and crapping all over our balcony. Once playing age they got demoted to the shed under the house, but the crapping continued and the property began to stink, the neighbors began to dislike us because of our noise and no one will take bitches here, the dogs went to farmers around the area, but the bitches were just getting bigger and bigger and Crapping more and more. We did get rid of them all eventually and back to our little dog we started with, all chilled out free from poop.
    You could never put her on a leash, she was a street dog, she just wrestled with anything around her neck, and we lived in campo so no traffic. But eventually we had to move, and we didn't know what to do, we were moving to the city, a serious change for a dog that was so used to freedom 24/7. She had survived a few years without us there and she would no doubt continue to survive without us. In the end we agreed a neighbour would keep an eye, and see how she settled once we had left, feed her and just make sure nothing bad came her way. I was heart broken, but to take a campo dog who'd always lived on the streets and free with pretty much no traffic to the center of Santo Domingo with a small garden was never going to work for her.
    So we check up and see she is doing alright, and she was poisoned a few days after we left, I can't tell you how upset I was at that news.
    So my advise is if you are going to take it on, make sure the lifestyle you are going to offer is equal to that of what it will expect, street dogs are tough as nails, in their ways and often difficult to train. A dog walking by your side in campo off the leash is not going to work in the city, it'd be squished in minutes. All I'm saying is street dogs of the campo are often happiest where they are, just because they want to be fed does not mean they want a change in lifestyle, environment etc. it's completely different to city street dogs. And as for my experience with this one, damned if you and damned if you don't.

    IMO

    We've rehomed many dogs now, but I always make it fast and keep a distance personally, I get them better and then get them out, it's too painful for me otherwise, I'm crap at goodbyes, especially to good old faithfuls!

  15. Likes Harleysrock, jilly777, frank12 liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •