Alternatives to Claro smartphone data plans?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I've been having problems with Claro's internet data plan and I'm at the point that I'd switch if something came along.

In terms of internet service and/or pricing, is there anything better than Claro? I have a Blackberry smartphone.

Thanks.

I love Orange, I started off with Clario but kicked them to the curb. Others may have other suggestions but with our Galaxy 4 and iphone 5 they work AWESOME! Unlimited internet what can't you love about that! Price seems cheap for the i believe 150 min, unlim internet and 100 texts. I use whats app so texts don't really matter.

Good luck!

Feb 7, 2007
Every mobile Internet in the DR is "limited" to the point that after you run out of your Giga your speed drops to a crawl. Your alternatives for mobile Internet are Orange and Tricom 4G LTE which is being rolled out nationwide.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I was looking into Orange and it seems I'll be going with them. Their data plans are cheaper, and I've talked to a few people that use them and they say their service is very good.

I have no idea how Claro can be so popular and successful. Their customer service is awful, their actual service is terrible, and they aren't cheap. And lately, all their services have gone downhill.

And they're not only horrible in the DR, but everywhere. I know people from other countries that say the same thing of Claro.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Have you checked with Viva? I've had my bb with them now for almost 2 years and although the connection is sometimes a bit slow, data is unlimited.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I was considering it, but I have some friends that use them and they say their service isn't that great.

I talked to Orange and they say that my BB Torch 9800 doesn't work with their 3G because they use 900MHz. I always thought that in the US and DR they used 850/1900MHz, not the European 900/1800MHz.

Has anyone experienced this? My BB Torch comes from Claro.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have no idea how Claro can be so popular and successful. Their customer service is awful, their actual service is terrible, and they aren't cheap. And lately, all their services have gone downhill.
Easy.

They used to be Verizon, a top tele company.

The rich Mexican guy bought Verizon and gutted customer service and other departments, and farmed some services out.

What you now see is the result.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
Have you checked with Viva? I've had my bb with them now for almost 2 years and although the connection is sometimes a bit slow, data is unlimited.

We are in Sosua - and have Viva with data plan - but don't seem to be able to get 3G coverage. We are trying to connect a Blackberry Bold and the Enterprise Activation process definitely requires 3G. Our IT guy in Canada says once activated, EDGE/2G will support our email. Sorry - we're not real techy on this stuff . Can anyone help ?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I was considering it, but I have some friends that use them and they say their service isn't that great.

I talked to Orange and they say that my BB Torch 9800 doesn't work with their 3G because they use 900MHz. I always thought that in the US and DR they used 850/1900MHz, not the European 900/1800MHz.

Orange is France Telecom, also their phones ring like in Europe not like in USA or as ring in Claro, Viva or Tricom

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
We are in Sosua - and have Viva with data plan - but don't seem to be able to get 3G coverage. We are trying to connect a Blackberry Bold and the Enterprise Activation process definitely requires 3G. Our IT guy in Canada says once activated, EDGE/2G will support our email. Sorry - we're not real techy on this stuff . Can anyone help ?

I use also ViVa, very good price, EDGE service works good, even faster than EDGE in Claro. I have BB 9790. Im Using the BIS email account from Blackberry wich for texts work very good and not very big attachments pictures, maybe you should try that.

I also download Opera Mini explorer, in case I have use the explorer with this program work also faster and use less Kbite from Data.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Viva has very limited 3G coverage. I guess you will have to go to an area where they provide 3G (Puerto Plata, maybe?)
EDGE and Blackberry, now that's two things you don't see around very much these days. ;-)

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Easy.

They used to be Verizon, a top tele company.

The rich Mexican guy bought Verizon and gutted customer service and other departments, and farmed some services out.

What you now see is the result.

The mexican guy bring down the company from the Top #1 Service satisfation to the Bottom in all aspects. Before you paid for very good service, and their service sucks. I prefer to stay with Viva. They are in 3rd place in Coverage and the pones only works EDGE but they give me better Service and price.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Viva has very limited 3G coverage. I guess you will have to go to an area where they provide 3G (Puerto Plata, maybe?)
EDGE and Blackberry, now that's two things you don't see around very much these days. ;-)

the 3G service from viva is only for Modems and MiFi service, not for Cellphones. The best option is to use the BIS email account not BES.

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I love Orange, I started off with Clario but kicked them to the curb. Others may have other suggestions but with our Galaxy 4 and iphone 5 they work AWESOME! Unlimited internet what can't you love about that! Price seems cheap for the i believe 150 min, unlim internet and 100 texts. I use whats app so texts don't really matter.

Good luck!
How much do you pay for that plan if you don't mind me asking?

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013

That would be correct. Orange uses 900 MHz for HSPA, 1800 MHz for GSM.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
the 3G service from viva is only for Modems and MiFi service, not for Cellphones. The best option is to use the BIS email account not BES.

no can do. Has to be BES - we are trying to connect to a corporate Email system and they use IBM Lotus Domino server(s) and Blackbery Enterprise Server(s), using Blackberry Enterprise Service ( BES ). And according to the IT admin, BES activation on the device can ONLY be done using 3G ( ie not 2G/EDGE and NOT Wifi ). Don't really know why - but them's the facts. And it appears to be correct, as the activation fails when on EDGE.

Where did you get the info on Viva 3G not available for cellphones ?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
no can do. Has to be BES - we are trying to connect to a corporate Email system and they use IBM Lotus Domino server(s) and Blackbery Enterprise Server(s), using Blackberry Enterprise Service ( BES ). And according to the IT admin, BES activation on the device can ONLY be done using 3G ( ie not 2G/EDGE and NOT Wifi ). Don't really know why - but them's the facts. And it appears to be correct, as the activation fails when on EDGE.

Where did you get the info on Viva 3G not available for cellphones ?

Im customer of the company since was Centennial that was CDMA Service and over that equipment is running the 3G/EDVO service of VIVA now for USB modems and MiFi Service. You can activate CDMA phone with VIVA but only for Voice, they dont have Data plan service for CDMA phones. all Data plan Services for Phones are runing over GSM technology and is only 2G/EDGE service.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I have a samsung galaxy s11CDMA Im customer of the company since was Centennial that was CDMA Service and over that equipment is running the 3G/EDVO service of VIVA now for USB modems and MiFi Service. You can activate CDMA phone with VIVA but only for Voice, they dont have Data plan service for CDMA phones. all Data plan Services for Phones are runing over GSM technology and is only 2G/EDGE service. ACTIVATE ONLY WITH VOICE Riva31 what does that mean ? What would i be able to do with my samsung galaxy s11 CDMA PHONE? What could i NOT do.?