Buying Land in Santo Domingo?

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
hello every i was trying to start a new thread but couldn't find how to start one.. but anyway hope i can get some answer here. OK here it goes i'm trying to do business in dominican republic santo domingo area my wife is dominican i wanted to buy a land to build a vaction home in their for rental or a condo to rent out i wanna get some advice on buying a land in santo domingo their is one in my wife neighborhood that is selling for 1,000,000 peso which would be 25,000 us its a pretty big lot that is big enough to build a big condo or a big house, her people keep tell me that its a great deal to not pass on. i told my wife before i do business in DR i have to really get a good feel of the country first.. i been their a few times but only stayed for about a month and i also was think about a starting a colmado

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I started the thread for you junior.

I'll put my two cents in too. #1. Forget about the colmado unless you'll be living there yourself and running it yourself. Otherwise you'll get robbed blind. #2. I agree about waiting to know DR better before buying and building anything. Anything!

What part of Santo Domingo does your wife come from?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Junior, the BEST WAY to ruin a relationship here, is to, First, Listen to all the "Great Ideas" your "Dominicana's" family has for you to make money!
Second "Best Way" , is to actually do something based on what they tell you!!!!
We have heard your story, in ALL it's variations here many times.
If you don't actually live here, and can monitor your investment 24/7 , you have no chance for a successful outcome.
If you don't live here, and feel you want to "Help" her family with a business, your investment, money, and "Dominicana" will all be gone in about 6 to 12 months.
They have a ton of "Great business Ideas", but only with your money!
If they were such great business people, they wouldn't be living in a "Tin House"!
DON't Do IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My wife and her family, have proposed many business opportunities to me over the last 20 years.
Pig farm, Salon, Colmado, "Pawn shop, money lending,Bus line, you name it.
I politely said, "Are You F*#KING Crazy"?????
The actually bought a pig farm, and opened a Salon.
My brother-in-law still owes the bank several million pesos on the pig farm he lost, and the salon, and all it's equipment are Looooooooooooong Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooone!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
I started the thread for you junior.

I'll put my two cents in too. #1. Forget about the colmado unless you'll be living there yourself and running it yourself. Otherwise you'll get robbed blind. #2. I agree about waiting to know DR better before buying and building anything. Anything!

What part of Santo Domingo does your wife come from?

she is from Los Trinitarios charles de gaulle area.. i also told her before i buy land in DR i have to buy my self a house down here in the states also. she keeps talking about this is a great opportunity that i won't find really great deals like that often. i told her before i put my money into something i have to make sure its gonna be worth it.. a friend of mine from DR was telling about opening a rental car company which doesn't sound like a bad idea but i do really know how that business is

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
Junior, the BEST WAY to ruin a relationship here, is to, First, Listen to all the "Great Ideas" your "Dominicana's" family has for you to make money!
If you don't actually live here, and can monitor your investment 24/7 , you have no chance for a successful outcome.
If you don't live here, and feel you want to "Help" her family with a business, your investment, money, and "Dominicana" will all be gone in about 6 to 12 months.
If they were such great business people, they wouldn't be living in a "Tin House"!
My wife and her family, have proposed many business opportunities to me over the last 20 years.
My brother-in-law still owes the bank several million pesos on the pig farm he lost, and the salon, and all it's equipment are Looooooooooooong Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooone!

man think you for the advise thank god they made this website to get different advise from different people
i wanna stay i DR for about 3-6 months before i start up a business and i have to get better at my Spanish its not really that good, alot of people tell me not knowing Spanish that good is not really a good idea when trying to do business in DR

I have nothing to add. CC has said all that you need to know.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I will add my favorite DR "Saying"!
Do you know how to leave the DR with a million dollars???????
Come with two!!!!!!
ALSO, to "Junior",......"Decisions Made In Haste, Can be REGRETED At Leisure"!!!!!!
Don't Even THINK about it!
Car rental business would be a disaster, with a HUGE initial investment.
The "Competition" here sometimes uses VERY HARSH measures to ELIMINATE Their Competition.
You seem like a nice guy.
They eat "Nice Guys" for breakfast here!
Come here, enjoy the "Sun, Sand, "Suds", and especially the "SEX", but don't get the idea in your head that you can have "All That", and a successful Business" as well!
OR, a Successful Relationship with a woman that the ONLY things that make up the relationship are, Your Desire For HER, and Her Desire for your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
And Don't take my word for it!!!
Most everyone here on DR! will tell you the same thing, at least the one's who have no "Personal Agenda", or are not still in the, "Dominicans Are Poor, But happy People, who have little, but are willing to share even that "Little" with you,PHASE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
I will add my favorite DR "Saying"!
Do you know how to leave the DR with a million dollars???????
Come with two!!!!!!
ALSO, to "Junior",......"Decisions Made In Haste, Can be REGRETED At Leisure"!!!!!!
Don't Even THINK about it!
Car rental business would be a disaster, with a HUGE initial investment.
The "Competition" here sometimes uses VERY HARSH measures to ELIMINATE Their Competition.
You seem like a nice guy.
They eat "Nice Guys" for breakfast here!
Come here, enjoy the "Sun, Sand, "Suds", and especially the "SEX", but don't get the idea in your head that you can have "All That", and a successful Business" as well!
OR, a Successful Relationship with a woman that the ONLY things that make up the relationship are, Your Desire For HER, and Her Desire for your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
And Don't take my word for it!!!
Most everyone here on DR! will tell you the same thing, at least the one's who have no "Personal Agenda", or are not still in the, "Dominicans Are Poor, But happy People, who have little, but are willing to share even that "Little" with you,PHASE!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

thinks for all the advise i will surly just come here to enjoy the sun, sands and more maybe later in the near further when i decide to retired and live in DR i might think about doing business their

CC ain't kidding, I came here with a fair bit of money, not a lot but enough and it IS NOT CHEAP TO LIVE HERE if you want any kind of life like you had where you came from. I would probably have gone to Costa Rica or somewhere else. Not to say i don't love my life stlyle, b.c i do. What is not to love about living on the beach traveling the island but since i first came here on vacay 7 years ago things have changed. I am a newbie and will stay a while b.c i do love where we live and the people around us but i think there are better Countries to move to. Never would i suggest one of my friends to move here!!

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004

I will add this...

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
CC ain't kidding, I came here with a fair bit of money, not a lot but enough and it IS NOT CHEAP TO LIVE HERE if you want any kind of life like you had where you came from. I would probably have gone to Costa Rica or somewhere else. Not to say i don't love my life stlyle, b.c i do. What is not to love about living on the beach traveling the island but since i first came here on vacay 7 years ago things have changed. I am a newbie and will stay a while b.c i do love where we live and the people around us but i think there are better Countries to move to. Never would i suggest one of my friends to move here!!
One of my best friends and business associates lives in CR he travels here often and was here last week, I also go there frequently and concur with what he says. He has lived in CR for 11 years from Vancouver. When he arrives here, stays in SD, he is amazed at the all the newness and that it is CHEAPER than CR, especially Real Estate. Here is a neat site where you can compare COS between cities, which proves what he says, so DO NOT expect CR to be a cheaper option than DR. Also he says to the most part the beaches here are better as well. Cost of Living Comparison Between Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic And San Jose, Costa Rica

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Living here seems pretty cheap to me. I have a 3 bedroom apartment, gated with quasi-security, 350 per month. We use very little electricity, lowest bill was 450rd, highest is 2000rd. We dont have a/c, i dont need it, it gets down to the low 70's as soon as the sun goes down. I keep the water heater turned off, so we take cold showers, very refreshing once u get used to it. The only thing we keep plugged in 24/7 is the refrigerator. Everything else is plugged in on as needed basis. We probably spend another 1000rd on water. The biggest bill we have is cable, internet, phone, its 4000rd each month. I buy lots of fruit off the street really cheap.

Now going out to eat is expensive, but since i ave only found a handful of places that i find of satisfactory quality for the money we rarely go out to eat.

I think the perception that it is expensive must be based on a couple of things, car costs, gasoline costs, going out to eat costs. And from what i gather most that move here want all the comforts and extraneous junk that people are used to in their home country. Since everything must be imported all those extras are expensive. Yes electronics are expensive but most of those expenses are one time purchases. I find day to day living is cheap. Now for the dominicans who make prevailing wages here i would agree it is expensive for them. But most of us arent here living off dominican wages

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I didn't move here to "Skimp", on ANYTHING!
Where's the purpose in THAT?????
I find that those who brag about how cheaply they can live in the DR, only do so, because they have no alternative.
Good For Them!
Just not my style.
There are too many advantages to living in the DR WITH money, not too many for living in the DR without any!
The person who said, "I Been Rich, and I Been POOR, AND, RICH IS BETTER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was an "Expat" living in the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Money Talks", "BULL$HIT" unplugs their water heater!

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
You are correct. Obviously you have much more money than i do. Awesome for you! I doubt i will catch up or surpass your wealth. Look cc, i have had all that and some. I found it all to be very unfullfilling. Seemed all i did was maintenance for the lifestyle. I have all i want and more than i need. I do try to live as cheaply as possible right now because i have other longer term goals i am working on. One of which is not having to return to the US for work the other is i want to build a house in the DR. I dont really care for where you live. Also i dont care much for the residencia's. they all seem very cerrado similar as in the states. I am still on my first year living in the DR so I am still feeling my way around.

Who said anything about living in the DR without money? You did, not me. I live the way i want. I smoke fine cigars, drink fine rum, mt gay until it runs out. And we eat very well. I cook about half the time and my wife cooks pollo and rice or platanos the other half. Lmao

Oh, and really its my Dominican wife who unplugs everything and doesnt like the hot showers. I kind of got used to it when we spent some time at her moms house, using a margerine container to dUmp water on my body for a shower. Haha. I like how she butters my bread and looks out for how we use our money. So guess what, the casa is her domain, bringing in the money is mine.

No reason for you to act insulting or better than anybody else. Remember he who dies with the most still dies. The point is enjoying the journey. I am not living my life to leave a bunch of wealth to my kids. I already paid for their college and gave them a good work ethic, the rest is on them. And u know what, thats what i tell my parents too. Dad u need to retire and enjoy life cuz if u drop dead and leave me a ton of money i am going to spend it like a drunken sailor. I hope he spends every last freakin dime and some.

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Couldn't agree more. I dump 25% into a 401k and will probably increase that to 30% or 35% in a month or two. My goal is to retire by 59 and travel. Live cheaply now so you don't have to go without later. don't get me wrong though. It's like I want for anything right now. :p

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
I didn't move here to "Skimp", on ANYTHING!
Where's the purpose in THAT?????
I find that those who brag about how cheaply they can live in the DR, only do so, because they have no alternative.
Good For Them!
Just not my style.
There are too many advantages to living in the DR WITH money, not too many for living in the DR without any!
The person who said, "I Been Rich, and I Been POOR, AND, RICH IS BETTER"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Was an "Expat" living in the DR!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Money Talks", "BULL$HIT" unplugs their water heater!

Sometimes your wit can be very caustic, but unfortunately, you're right more often than not.

junior8338

Mar 28, 2012
I'm going to take a different tact here. How many meters of land is there? Can you be a little more specific where it is located?

i dont remember how many meters it is its un santo domingo charles de gaulle los trinitarios area i'll find out how many meters it is and get back to you on it