Dog left all night in apartment....what can I do????

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
I really need your help/advice
We live in Punta Cana in a gated community of condo blocks.
Over the past few weeks I have heard...at differing times...what sounds like a small dog crying and barking and this goes on for hours at a time.
It is on the top (3rd floor) and we are on the ground floor....their are 6 apts. to each block.
Late yesterday afternoon the noise started again before which I noticed a guy and his kids leaving the block with a suitcase... the dog continued its distress calls for about 4/5 hours and both my brother and I (we have our own pooches) were getting both mad and upset.
The condo manager lives in the apartment opposite the dog but was out until late last night by which time the dog was quiet.
The tenents still appear not to have returned altho the dog is now quiet.
My thoughts are to somehow rescue the dog and let the poor little thing come live with us....but the owner is a biggish mean looking guy and I guess he got the dog to amuse his kids during the holidays.
Any ideas

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
Knock on the door and see if they are home. Explain that you heard the dog and were worried because you love dogs. Offer to walk theirs with yours. If they aren't home and you know they aren't returning for days break in and take dog.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just do not blame the dude. say that you heard that he has a dog and your own dogs are a bit bored and lonely and if you could maybe walk it sometimes or let all of them play together.
other than that i suggest ear stoppers for the noise. many people here do not care much for animals and the owner may flat out refuse to do anything about it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
try to see if you can sneak anything from the window. a small toy would be nice. maybe it will occupy the dog. or maybe not :) our neighbour seems to think our dogs need toys as well and he threw them few rubber ducks or whatnot. all eaten. this is precisely why they do not have toys: they always end up in our rottie's digestive track. but a small doggie may have fun with a squeaky toy :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This happens from time to time where we live, also in Punta Cana. Usually it's people who leave their dogs at home all day long, but a couple of times there have been dogs left alone overnight, in one case for an entire weekend.

The neighbours called security - the dog had been howling all weekend and some thought it was a baby crying. Security didn't rescue the dog, but they sent a letter to the tenant saying that if it happened again they would have to force entry.

The routine problem of barking dogs is dealt with by sending a general circular to all residents, followed up by a personal note to the dog owner involved if the problem persists.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Thanks again for messages of help and advice.....I was contemplating getting one of the maintenance guys to get his big ladder out and climb up to see if all is OK......will have to do something very soon as all is silent and there is defo. no one at home

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It's a bit dramatic to start interfering at this point. Dogs are kept in apartments 24/7 and for their entire lives here, it's normal that a dog never sees a beach or a ball.
Wait for them to come back and just tell him to leave the dog with you when he goes away for longer periods, or whenever he wants to.

I wouldn't start getting too nosy just yet, the dog is not going to come to any physical harm being left for a day by itself. It's not nice, but it's not your dog either and he may not take kindly to you gossiping about how he treats his animals.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Let me underline that most Dominicans do NOT take their amall dogs out of their apartments.. EVER

And do not assume that because the dog is small, that he will be friendly. The little ones are often bred for personal protection.

Best you can do it talk to the manager and find out if there is a relative or a number on fille to call for that apartment.

I see only trouble brewing for you if you get further involved.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Remember, "No Good deed Goes Unpunished"!
The guy will get "PI$$ED" no matter what you do, so don't do ANYTHING!!!!!
Dominicans can't stand to be criticized!
ANY thing you do, WILL BE viewed as making trouble.
Welcome to the DR!
What, No Chickens crowing, Music blaring, kids yelling, parking in your space?????
Then,"Feel Lucky"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I have neighbours with many small dogs on both sides. They leave for the weekend (both sides) and leave their little dogs at home. One of them also has an airconditioner that makes a sound like an airplane. Do I care? Yes I did. Now I don't anymore, it's not going to help me. Oh, and I also care less about the neighbor parking in front of my house.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Thanks guys....and yes I am aware that this is the D.R. and things are different and I am by no means bothered about noise levels either.
I will play it cool but on the other hand I will sort it....cos I care about the way animals are treated and big guy or not he and I will reach a satisfactory agreement on this lol.
Leaving dogs in apartments their entire lifes is one thing but leaving them then pi$$ing off with a suitcase is another in my book
Thanks again

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
And no Chirimoya I didn't mention his possible nationality but I kinda think he is non dominican

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
It's a "Slippery Slope" when we start to "Guess" what nationality/race a person is just by "looking"!
Only chip actually has that ability!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The "Noise Pollution", I can ALMOST get by,(I Just Make LOUDER NOISES!!!) but that "Car In My Space", I don't think I could let that slide.
A "Dirty Trick" is called for "M"!

I have lots of nefarious ideas!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC