Sosua News On Passions Closing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
But first, I flew in to POP today on AA and was picked up by a taxi driver I use. I asked him what happened in Sosua during the 6 weeks I was in the US and he replied not much, except some bars were closed. He seemed pleased about that. I asked him whether the Dominican residents were pleased with the changes the new mayor is making or attempting to make. He said they were very supportive.

From the Sosua News:

By order of justice of Puerto Plata the nightclub Passion's Bar located in the main street Pedro Clisante has been closed indefinitely.

During the raid the police encountered, as they announced, 32 girls who were forced to offer sexual services. The police freed them from their precarious situation, as informed the police. In the raid they confiscated sums of money, mobile phones, documents, contracts and cameras. Furthermore, there were condoms and uniforms found. The owner and his assistant manager are taken into custody. It is said that this raid followed on resent closure of 16 massage parlors. All part of the big plan to improve Sos?a for tourism.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
Rescue the girls???!!! LMFAO!!! so whats next??? Rescue all the girls on d"latino and the other joints? what about all the other chicas walking up and down Pedro Clisante street???... give me a freaking break....those girls know what time it is... they are sex workers!!... what do they think sosua is?.... disneyland?... please, how stupid and short sighted... Sosua is know for what it is, and for what it will always be... the Thailand of the caribbean. plain and simple.
The economy of Sosua will crumble when those guys don't come down to spend money... The chicas probably support many famili menbers with their earnings....
sosua wont turn into The Hamptons regardless of whatever this Tourism director does. He is playing with fire and will get burned badly...

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Rescue the girls???!!! LMFAO!!! so whats next??? Rescue all the girls on d"latino and the other joints? what about all the other chicas walking up and down Pedro Clisante street???... give me a freaking break....those girls know what time it is... they are sex workers!!... what do they think sosua is?.... disneyland?... please, how stupid and short sighted... Sosua is know for what it is, and for what it will always be... the Thailand of the caribbean. plain and simple.
The economy of Sosua will crumble when those guys don't come down to spend money... The chicas probably support many famili menbers with their earnings....
sosua wont turn into The Hamptons regardless of whatever this Tourism director does. He is playing with fire and will get burned badly...

Agreed! I don't participate in the Sosua Magic however I always look closely at good opportunities. A property in Sosua that was very undervalued came my way and the due diligence proved this. The deal breaker? I don't like not knowing what could come of an area that has such an uncertain future. I agree the island has many better options for a beach holiday!
Conclusion I had an investment group ready to move on the property and I have insisted that we pullback for now. Will this new effort have consequences? certainly! In SD these same areas from what I hear are in dire straits as well. What will come of all these sex workers as their customer base drops substantially? Who will support them and their families? Its a tough fix either way....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

right on, spear. to hear some guys in this forum tell it, prostitution accounts for less than .1% of tourism revenues in this country. i beg to differ.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
But first, I flew in to POP today on AA and was picked up by a taxi driver I use. I asked him what happened in Sosua during the 6 weeks I was in the US and he replied not much, except some bars were closed. He seemed pleased about that. I asked him whether the Dominican residents were pleased with the changes the new mayor is making or attempting to make. He said they were very supportive.

From the Sosua News:

By order of justice of Puerto Plata the nightclub Passion's Bar located in the main street Pedro Clisante has been closed indefinitely.

During the raid the police encountered, as they announced, 32 girls who were forced to offer sexual services. The police freed them from their precarious situation, as informed the police. In the raid they confiscated sums of money, mobile phones, documents, contracts and cameras. Furthermore, there were condoms and uniforms found. The owner and his assistant manager are taken into custody. It is said that this raid followed on resent closure of 16 massage parlors. All part of the big plan to improve Sos?a for tourism.

That's what I've been hearing from most of the locals for years Ken. They can not make a living with the sex tourist unless you are part of that culture and MOST don't want anything to do with. Granted, some have had to deal with it just to survive but rather go back to the family based tourist AND locals that live here that stopped spending.

Funny. While some look at this situation as a big negative and stopped their buying and promoting to the sex tourist; I've been looking at buying and promoting to the locals that live here and the family tourist. One place will take 75% less then the 7 year ago asking price ...... and will take monthly payments to do the deal.

I also am looking at a couple other properties that the sellers just want out.

I'm dusting off some old building plans for nice town-house type homes on my double lot with lots of green space and second row from the ocean in a nice area. Also a small store and cafe'.

So as you see things change and yelling Sosua will die.... some of us see this change as a positive and that just those that have live here and stayed away for years will enter again. We will shop, develop and move forward again as we did years ago.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The world economy has changed over the past few years. People don't have the money they used to and I will be at least a decade until they do. Even then, it will never be as it once was. Sosua is actually a dumpy little backwoods town and always will be. It is my little dumpy little backwoods town and I will always love it no matter how much the current administration screws it up. Its going to be empty....tumbleweeds don't grow in the DR do they?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
That's what I've been hearing from most of the locals for years Ken. They can not make a living with the sex tourist unless you are part of that culture and MOST don't want anything to do with. Granted, some have had to deal with it just to survive but rather go back to the family based tourist AND locals that live here that stopped spending.

Funny. While some look at this situation as a big negative and stopped their buying and promoting to the sex tourist; I've been looking at buying and promoting to the locals that live here and the family tourist. One place will take 75% less then the 7 year ago asking price ...... and will take monthly payments to do the deal.

I also am looking at a couple other properties that the sellers just want out.

I'm dusting off some old building plans for nice town-house type homes on my double lot with lots of green space and second row from the ocean in a nice area. Also a small store and cafe'.

So as you see things change and yelling Sosua will die.... some of us see this change as a positive and that just those that have live here and stayed away for years will enter again. We will shop, develop and move forward again as we did years ago.

I don't disagree the contrarian approach can amount to sizeable gains, I like it, but of course its a high risk strategy mostly because you must be in a position to hold and go long..... Ringo seems like you have the wherewithal to do so I applaud your decision.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The world economy has changed over the past few years. People don't have the money they used to and I will be at least a decade until they do. Even then, it will never be as it once was. Sosua is actually a dumpy little backwoods town and always will be. It is my little dumpy little backwoods town and I will always love it no matter how much the current administration screws it up. Its going to be empty....tumbleweeds don't grow in the DR do they?[/QU

Have you been to Boca Chica???? lots of tumbleweeds there.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I don't disagree the contrarian approach can amount to sizeable gains, I like it, but of course its a high risk strategy mostly because you must be in a position to hold and go long..... Ringo seems like you have the wherewithal to do so I applaud your decision.

My vision and my plans started over 15 years ago and I started to implement a little over 10 years ago. With the change in Sosua shifting I moth-balled everything and adjusted what I already had to my own use.

Others that live here have done the same. We live here and though not a very visible group, we know what is going on. We have held back, saved and are in no hurry. We have time. Most of us look at investments are long term but we want sound investments. Otherwise, we park our money someplace else.... and save.

Do some math. One couple that would go out 3 times a week, walking around and shopping, have a cocktail or two then a full course dinner with appetizers, salad, main course, desert, coffee and after dinner drink. Those 3 nights a week did add up real fast. Now let's add in some friends, 2,4 or 6 more, to join us those 3 nights a week walking around and shopping and dinning. And we are talking 7 or more years ago prices. Then put them into todays prices.

That stopped years ago. What I have saved up by NOT going into Sosua is amazing. But I am not nor are others going to spend our money investing in what Sosua is now.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
My vision and my plans started over 15 years ago and I started to implement a little over 10 years ago. With the change in Sosua shifting I moth-balled everything and adjusted what I already had to my own use.

Others that live here have done the same. We live here and though not a very visible group, we know what is going on. We have held back, saved and are in no hurry. We have time. Most of us look at investments are long term but we want sound investments. Otherwise, we park our money someplace else.... and save.

Do some math. One couple that would go out 3 times a week, walking around and shopping, have a cocktail or two then a full course dinner with appetizers, salad, main course, desert, coffee and after dinner drink. Those 3 nights a week did add up real fast. Now let's add in some friends, 2,4 or 6 more, to join us those 3 nights a week walking around and shopping and dinning. And we are talking 7 or more years ago prices. Then put them into todays prices.

That stopped years ago. What I have saved up by NOT going into Sosua is amazing. But I am not nor are others going to spend our money investing in what Sosua is now.

So if Im hearing you right, NOW its not a good time to invest in Sosua property?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

And it's thinking like yours that hurt small restaurants like mine in Sosua.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Hey you cant fault a guy for eating in and saving $$ for the future! Depending on your location etc. its the driving out of whoremongers to other countries would be a greater threat

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

NO... it's the sex tourist attitude trade that hurt you. I had nothing to do with it other then stopped going into or spending money in Sosua. Quite frankly... I don't care. YOU be a part of cleaning Sosua up is to your advantage. Don't blame me for not spending my money.... It's your business and it's MY money.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Hey you cant fault a guy for eating in and saving $$ for the future! Depending on your location etc. its the driving out of whoremongers to other countries would be a greater threat

and you said it....getting rid of the whoremongers is the biggest threat. So, once they are gone and we all close our doors, there won't be many places for the expats to go and NOBODY will invest money in a restaurant in Sosua if the government achieves their goal. BUT we as the little restaurants need to rely on the expats that live here to survive and the mentality of "I'm not going to Sosua" is shallow to say the least. We have several expats that risk their lives every night to enjoy our food!!!!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
and you said it....getting rid of the whoremongers is the biggest threat. So, once they are gone and we all close our doors, there won't be many places for the expats to go and NOBODY will invest money in a restaurant in Sosua if the government achieves their goal. BUT we as the little restaurants need to rely on the expats that live here to survive and the mentality of "I'm not going to Sosua" is shallow to say the least. We have several expats that risk their lives every night to enjoy our food!!!!!

Shallow? ROFL. Why did YOU open a restaurant in a town FILLED with them and bars? What makes you the better business man that was going to get rich in the middle of all the others? Which sex tourist Expat with more money then the other did you THINK you could attract? Very few of the solid Expat community that have homes, employ, pay taxes, own cars, have maintenance and daily lives go into Sosua. We have very nice BBQ's.

My wife and I go to Los Gringos every now and then. Guess who we see? Our old friends that we use to go out with in Sosua years ago. Now we run into each other 2 hours down the road to have a nice lunch. Go figure?

I'm sorry that you are having bad times. But really..... It's my fault? ROFL. As I said; many of us STOPPED investing in Sosua for the very reason that you are complaining about. You just backed the wrong donkey at the wrong time.

Aug 21, 2007
Some of us continue to invest in Sosua. We just go to businesses that attract a different clientele, one more fitting to our own life choices. Those businesses are seeming to thrive right now. I ate at one of those restaurants tonight. Tables were full.

Personally, I don't believe in all this gloom and doom. I think Sosua will survive.

Lindsey

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Shallow? ROFL. Why did YOU open a restaurant in a town FILLED with them and bars? What makes you the better business man that was going to get rich in the middle of all the others? Which sex tourist Expat with more money then the other did you THINK you could attract? Very few of the solid Expat community that have homes, employ, pay taxes, own cars, have maintenance and daily lives go into Sosua. We have very nice BBQ's.

My wife and I go to Los Gringos every now and then. Guess who we see? Our old friends that we use to go out with in Sosua years ago. Now we run into each other 2 hours down the road to have a nice lunch. Go figure?

I'm sorry that you are having bad times. But really..... It's my fault? ROFL. As I said; many of us STOPPED investing in Sosua for the very reason that you are complaining about. You just backed the wrong donkey at the wrong time.

Well first, I didn't open up a restaurant, my restaurant has been around for 17 years. Second my plan was never to get rich, but to live comfortably and enjoy a different life. The sex tourists bring me a lot of money, however my restaurant doesn't cater only to them and I certainly don't allow the girls to hang out in my place unless they are spending money....I am not a disco. But they do come with their "man" to eat breakfast, lunch or dinner.

We have many families that come to Sosua for breakfast or dinner. I'm not placing the blame directly on you, but I have come to the conclusion that the tourists bring me the money and they don't complain about the price. There are too many expats that have moved here to never venture beyond their wall...those that due see that Sosua has its own charm and character. Do I love Sosua...no I don't...but I do like it. I feel very safe here. I never worry about my wife driving home at night after work. If the sex tourists are removed, Sosua will suffer, period. We are already suffering with the recent small casualties, the talk is all over the boards on the internet. There is no way that regular tourists and families will come here and spend the same money the mongers currently do.

Please tell me what scares you so much about Sosua because I don't see it. It's super safe. I'm being very serious about my question to you.....I would like to know.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
is it just me, or has this prostitution thing in Sosua suddenly become a major eyesore and decline of life qualities since those African American guys discovered it? i never heard all this bawling before they started arriving en masse.

Status
Not open for further replies.