cedula? license? car?

gray

Apr 11, 2013
i have applied for residency all is complete now just waiting for the cedula....
when can i get a drivers license? What is involved in buying a car? paperwork -need cedula?
what is the progression of waiting? -need cedula , get car , get licence?

they say it could be up to 8 months to get cedula....

did i just answer all my own questions? the waiting game..

by the way i want the legal way no short cuts

thanks in advance:nervous:

search was helpful but seeking a little more as they inter relate

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as soon as you have a cedula you can apply for a license in your local transport department. you will need to pay the taxes in banreservas and they go with the factura to oficina de transporte.
you will take a very simple theory tests. it is in spanish and takes maybe 10 minutes. they will also give you a quick eye check. they will give you a temporary license. you have 45 days to take practice test.

i do not know what is involved in buying a car. so far all i did was to sign on a dotted line :)

oh, wait, the cedula needs to be permanent one, right?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Do you have a driver's licence right now from your country of origin? You could skip the temporary.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Gray, you only applied for residency. You must have residency status before obtaining a cedula.

Regards,

PJT

gray

Apr 11, 2013
Gray, you only applied for residency. You must have residency status before obtaining a cedula.

Regards,

PJT

i applied from home when it was ready i had 2 months to get into the country

all i am waiting for is my cedula. i finished everything with the lawyers. been for chest exrays blood test and at immigration and have been issued temp paperwork from ministerio de interio y policia direction general de migracion.

yes i have a drivers licence

i am quite sure just waitng

dear god i will have to wait another 8 months from when my residency is approved to get my cedula? or did i read this wrong??

Buying a car is easy, insurance easy. Those weird stickers I have no idea what they are for i just paid some guy to get them for me. Drivers license again will pay someone to do the written test for me since i am not fluent but if i have to wait 8 more month's then maybe i will be!!!

I thought you get you cedula when your residency is approved in 6 months or however long it takes??!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Ok, I drove for 7 years unaware I was illegal. Chill! Just don't kill anyone.
Tom (CC) has drove here for 18 years and never even had anything legally imposed. I like live his rules, fuk em ! But you need to understand.
He worked here without papers, in the health system, but years gone by. He drove here, but years gone by.
Now I am legal on everything, why? Because it saves me a headache, in yesteryear it didn't matter, if you not, now it does!

By the way, I have bought and sold 38 vehicles in the 7 years before I was legal.

Sorry buddy, just giving two sides to the reality!

Last edited:
I applied for my residency in feb. I don't really care about driving illegally i just thought you got your cedula when you are approved for residency.
I always have liked to live on the edge ;-) I show them my nexus card and they think it is my drivers license (b/c DL was lost)

Just was wondering, I haven't bothered to look into it forever and forget everything i learned before i moved here!!

gray

Apr 11, 2013
listen i am getting stir crazy here without a car, i just cant wait all this time, so here goes

do i need a cedula to transfer a car in my name if i buy one now? Whats the procedures for a car?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
listen i am getting stir crazy here without a car, i just cant wait all this time, so here goes

do i need a cedula to transfer a car in my name if i buy one now? Whats the procedures for a car?

PJT has not done the procedure. However, a passport and passport number should be sufficient for the transaction.

Regards,

PJT

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have bought, and sold, several cars here in the DR over the past 18 years.
Just be SURE to have a good lawyer do the transfer of title "Paperwork"!
I always had car insurance.
I also own a house that I bought 16 years ago.
AND, I an STILL an "Undocumented Alien" to use the USA Liberal Progressive "PC" designation!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

gray

Apr 11, 2013
I have bought, and sold, several cars here in the DR over the past 18 years.
Just be SURE to have a good lawyer do the transfer of title "Paperwork"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

REALLY i need a lawyer to buy a car?

i obviously don't know the in and outs here in the DR

just looking at spending maybe no more than 100,000 RD

would somebody maybe be kind enough to take the time to explain to me the reasons, and how too's , or the eventual outcomes of scenarios of buying a car.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
as soon as you have a cedula you can apply for a license in your local transport department. you will need to pay the taxes in banreservas and they go with the factura to oficina de transporte.
you will take a very simple theory tests. it is in spanish and takes maybe 10 minutes. they will also give you a quick eye check. they will give you a temporary license. you have 45 days to take practice test.

i do not know what is involved in buying a car. so far all i did was to sign on a dotted line :)

oh, wait, the cedula needs to be permanent one, right?

WRONG you have to drive for a MINIMUM of 45 days without having an accident - up to a max of ONE YEAR on your provisional, you take the second part of the test any time you like between these limit. The test, is supposed to be preceded by a 2 hour theory lecture/video presentation on road safety which I didn't do because the projector wasn't working, then comes the practical test which you are better off doing in a manual (stick shift) vehicle as you might end up getting an automatic only license. Also make sure your vehicle is nice and small so that it fits into the reversing test box, they won't move the poles to accommodate lager cars/SUVs which sometimes physically cannot fit in the box, and if you touch a pole you have failed.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes you can purchase a car here without a Cedula. A lawyer is not a requirement, but you do have to make sure you have a clean title. It will require someone who speaks Spanish and a trip to DGII to get the title updated and pay the fees.

Agreed that you won't get much of a car for 100,000 RD, a scooter or Yamaha DT moto perhaps. Keep in mind that cars are about 40% more expensive here than in North America.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, As far as Santiago there is a very well organized procedure at Public Works. There is a Banca de Reservas branch on premises in order to pay the fees. After using your learners permit for 45 days You get a lecture in Spanish and then take a test that is a animated series with a yes/no question at the end. There is a fingerprint authenticator at each stage but I suppose you could pay someone. They provide a small car for the driving/parking test that is done on site in a very small area. As has been said the DR graduates scores of lawyers each year and if you get in an accident with out a valid license or residency if will be a blivet of problems.