Santiago Neurosurgeons

neural

Dec 12, 2012
Hey Everyone

Not just Santiago, but all of the DR. Neurosurgeons? Names, subspecialities, location, comments or criticisms are
appreciated. As always thanks in advance!

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Neurosurgeons treat the entire nervous system including the brain. Highly complex and specialized. Unless its trauma related travel stateside. Good luck

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Neurosurgeons in the DR are qualified for treating headaches, toothaches, and a few other nerve related issues. Unless, of course, the trauma was brought to the DR from the outside--I.E Europe or North America; in which case, it maybe brain damage.

For brain damage, take one shot of whisky, a teaspoon of honey, and some fresh lime. it won't cure the brain damage, but it will help the person forget their issues for awhile.

Frank

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Dr. Jos? Joaqu?n Puello

If you wish the best of the best Dr. Jos? Joaqu?n Puello, Oxford educated, of the Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo.

Regards,

PJT

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
If you wish the best of the best Dr. Jos? Joaqu?n Puello, Oxford educated, of the Clinica Abreu in Santo Domingo.

Regards,

PJT

On a side note, I know of Dr. Jose Puello. He is very respected. He knew my uncle Dr. Francisco Clodomiro Genao. They sat together on some medical boards. Recently, my uncle had a street and some buildings named after him in both Santo Domingo and Bonao. This is my uncle that i grew up with in Santo domingo: http://www.consultoria.gov.do/leyes... Avenida Doctor Francisco Clodomiro Genao.pdf

Frank

Dec 26, 2011
On a side note, I know of Dr. Jose Puello. He is very respected. He knew my uncle Dr. Francisco Clodomiro Genao. They sat together on some medical boards. Recently, my uncle had a street and some buildings named after him in both Santo Domingo and Bonao. This is my uncle that i grew up with in Santo domingo: http://www.consultoria.gov.do/leyes... Avenida Doctor Francisco Clodomiro Genao.pdf

Frank

Clodomiro is a badass name. Very nice recognition of your uncle.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Clodomiro is a badass name. Very nice recognition of your uncle.

Thanks! he was an extremely intelligent man and fantastic doctor (so was his wife), and as a result, he was educated for free in Santo Domingo and the U.S (University of Chicago) under an education provision (under Trujillo) which took the brightest kid out of each high school throughout the DR and educated them for free in Santo Domingo. Afterwards, they served on the government.

Frank

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
There is no doubt that there are excellent Doctors on the island. However the problem is the "medical infrastructure" if you will. Labs that do timely and accurate analysis. The D.R is still using old technology and equipment. Doctors don't have a pool of colleagues that hey can discuss complex conditions with.As with all medical disciplines the technology has changed drastically. The D.R is decades if not light years behind the U.S in medical advancements and technology available.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
There is no doubt that there are excellent Doctors on the island. However the problem is the "medical infrastructure" if you will. Labs that do timely and accurate analysis. The D.R is still using old technology and equipment. Doctors don't have a pool of colleagues that hey can discuss complex conditions with.As with all medical disciplines the technology has changed drastically. The D.R is decades if not light years behind the U.S in medical advancements and technology available.

You will be surprised what these medical pros can do with the technology available. Note: doctors do have pools of colleagues to consult and even have direct communication links to consult with offshore doctors should the need arise.

PJT is aware of a case of a Spanish young woman who had severe trauma to her legs ( almost severed ) in a traffic accident in the east. The doctor in Higuey who attended her was able to knit her broken legs back together using the tools at his disposal. She was then transfered to the Capital to recuperate and await medical transport back to Spain. When she arrived in Spain to continue her hospitalization the medical staff at her hospital were completely amazed of the quality and expertise of her treatment in Higuey. Her legs were saved. Her family were so thankful of the care she received in Higuey, they paid all expenses for the doctor and his doctor wife to visit the patient and family in Spain.

PJT also had the experience in Santiago at HOMS in Santiago to see live medical data being transmitted to states.

This has to be tempered the medical technology infrastructure in this country is limited as compared to N America or Europe. However, the knowledge of the medical professionals is close to or on par with their foreign medical brothers through improved communication and medical colaboratives and workshops among them.

Regards,

PJT

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
You will be surprised what these medical pros can do with the technology available. Note: doctors do have pools of colleagues to consult and even have direct communication links to consult with offshore doctors should the need arise.

PJT is aware of a case of a Spanish young woman who had severe trauma to her legs ( almost severed ) in a traffic accident in the east. The doctor in Higuey who attended her was able to knit her broken legs back together using the tools at his disposal. She was then transfered to the Capital to recuperate and await medical transport back to Spain. When she arrived in Spain to continue her hospitalization the medical staff at her hospital were completely amazed of the quality and expertise of her treatment in Higuey. Her legs were saved. Her family were so thankful of the care she received in Higuey, they paid all expenses for the doctor and his doctor wife to visit the patient and family in Spain.

PJT also had the experience in Santiago at HOMS in Santiago to see live medical data being transmitted to states.

This has to be tempered the medical technology infrastructure in this country is limited as compared to N America or Europe. However, the knowledge of the medical professionals is close to or on par with their foreign medical brothers through improved communication and medical colaboratives and workshops among them.

Regards,

PJT

Mr PJT "on par with" ? I would agree that there are some competent physicians, especially in Santiago. However to say that they are "on par" with the medical personnel and facilities in the U.S is waaaay off. Training,in service training and advanced equipment is simply sub standard here.
As I have said before in regards to your Spanish acquaintance who suffered a serious injury, for trauma related issues get treated for anything else especially complex diagnoses go state side. Why would you risk your most important asset (your life)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It depends on the doctor, the hospital, the urgency, the condition of the patient, etc.

Mr. AE's cousin is a dual citizen, and he has traveled to NY several times for surgeries. Earlier this month, after being admitted to Cedimat in SD for chest pains, tests determined he needed a triple bypass. He's mid to late 70's. He had tremendous confidence in his physician, Dr. Pedro Urana, and had the surgery there. Very successful.

In contrast, my father had similar surgery in the USA, and died.

I also think when your time is up, it's up, not much you can do about it.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
The US healthcare system came in 15th in overall performance, and first in overall expenditure per capita. That result meant that its overall ranking was 37th.

Read more: The 36 Best Healthcare Systems In The World - Business Insider

The US is far from being the country with the best Healthcare in the world.

The US Health is the most expensive in the world, still not the best.

Last edited: