Secure Storage in Sosua - How secure ? Sosua Self Storage or Modern Self Storage.

PeterHeirman

May 3, 2013
Hi. There are two secure storage facilities in Sosua (as far Google indicated us):
- Sosua Self Storage Sosua Self Storage: Sosua's First Self Storage Facility
- Modern Self Storage Modern Self Storage?|?Dominican Republic
How secure are they ?
Any experience with storing sports gear ? (bicycles, surf board, kiteboard ?) throughout the summer

We would like to spend the winter in Sosua DR, but leave for the summer to Europe. Hence all the sports gear needs to be stored as taking them back home costs too much money and is always risky (damage and lost)

Thanks in advance.

May 29, 2006
I built a storage unit a couple of years ago and they are pretty hard to get into, they're made that way. Just get a good hardened lock. We had a renter abandon their unit with the lock on and we needed a power grinder to get the lock off. It took well over half an hour and several blades to cut through the lock and the noise was ridiculous. Prob easier to bring one than get one on the island. They run about $15. A non-hardened lock can be cut through with a hacksaw in just a few minutes and many of the locks in the DR are crap that can be knocked open with a rock.

523421399_875.jpg

I went to the wrong one, go to the one that looks like a modern self storage, the one that looks like storage that US or Canada would have. The other one was safe and secure but everything was moldy, really hot and the had $25 fans cooling the place down. All of our stuff was still there 3 months later but worse for wear. Everyone was nice etc.. but some of out stuff was ruined.

I would try the Modern one next time 100%.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We have used Sosua Self Storage and our things were in good shape when we took them out after 10 months. We wrapped our stuff so no dust could get in.