Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Good Solid Internet Connection on the North Shore

I need business-grade internet and am interested in spending much time on the North Shore. The last time I did this, my business suffered because of spotty Internet. 3 years ago.

Has anything changed? Can I make proper plans to have the infrastructure that is necessary?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We use the higher priced package from De Lancer in Sosua and are very happy with it.

Bob K

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Where exactly will you be living?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Cabrera has Claro, which seems to be the Spanish word for "spotty" when it comes to Internet. I have two lines (highest speed they sell) coming in with a multiplexed router to give be a redundant connection. It seems to help but maybe I'm dreaming. Still, I can conduct just about any business I need (GotoMeeting, etc.) without problems.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When we first had Cable del Norte internet in Cabarete three years ago we had endless problems. But since then it has improved a lot and (touch wood) is now pretty reliable.

Having said that, cable TV was out for 24 hours until this morning, so as a company they are not infallible.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have DeLancer. Since I have been in my current house for nearly 2 1/2 years now it has been great. Very reliable and no issues with speed. I have dropped my connection maybe a total of five times in the past 2 1/2 years and each time for just a couple of minutes. But in the residence prior to that it was horrible. Some of them are friends of ours and they tell us that a lot of the issues are with wiring both in the streets and in some of the old buildings and in some cases they aren't getting replaced any time soon. So unfortunately depending on exactly where you live you may get anything from very spotty to very reliable.

7. Likes IamZon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't complain about the DeLancer... when we moved in 8 months ago and said we needed the internet for work, they came to have a look and said they would replace the chinese crap cable (their words) with a decent one. They would provide the cable, I had to have the trench digged.

3MB plan, and so far very reliable and true constant speed.

BelgianK

9. Likes Harleysrock, IamZon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

With all these problems why on earth don't you use satellite?

11. Likes IamZon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by granca View Post
    With all these problems why on earth don't you use satellite?
    How much - is the question. Set up + monthly charges.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

we have internet from oscuro and they only messed up twice in 4 years or so. but big time: weeks of poor/no internet.

if you are willing to spend oscuro attends large businesses as well. kind of the stuff used by call centers, banks and other large companies. of course we are talking heavy money here but it can be done...

14. Likes IamZon liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast