Protests On The Tourist Route

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Recently protests were held in various places on the tourist route. With burning tires, debris, tree stumps and branches protesters blocked the road. When the police tried to clear the road again, they were pelted with stones by the protesters. The police then used tear gas and arrested at least six militant protesters.

Caused by heavy rains, the tourist route between Gran Parada (Puerto Plata) and Santiago has become almost impassable to traffic. In many places, pieces of the road washed away and the road is littered with potholes. Residents who live along the road and drivers of public transport have asked several times to the municipality of Puerto Plata to repair the tourist route. But the municipality says it is the responsibility of the provincial government. And you got it, the provincial government answers that Puerto Plata is responsible. So nothing happens. With these protests the protesters wanted to make clear that the government has to fulfill the promises made frequent in the past. Both the drivers of public transport, as local residents, are left with unfulfilled promises for at least 10 years.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It's a shame, because I understand that this is one of the most beautiful drives in the region. However, I've heard that it's such a slow and painful drive it's just not worth trying.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I can understand why the people who live on that road are protesting, but is it possible to make this road a "permanent" road even if they use the best materials?

Over the years they have had some major projects on that road to try to keep it from washing away. But sooner or later, during periods of heavy rain, the rock and dirt from the steep slopes on one side come washing down and sections of the road on the other side drop off.

I'm sure a substantial amount of money has been paid over the years to fix that road.

Probably much of the road could be better maintained, but there are sections where I tend to think there will always be serious problems.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
BIG pot holes !! Looks like the result of an U.S on Iraqi bombing run. Taxing on the front end. Only do it in a rental car.

james

Jan 14, 2002
I drive from Sosua to Santiago for more than 15 years and in the last 8 or so almost every second week and almost always drive the "touristic/mountain route. Safest traffic wise than any other route....you can miss 75% of the holes when you know the route....but you will be weaving from one side to the other....its fun. Not recommended for vehicle with small wheels....16" or larger..preferably an SUV. Last trip was two weeks ago. From Sosua near Caribe Bus stop area to where the Hache store in Stgo is MAX 1h, 35min. The road is deteriorating a little more in the last 2 months. IF I go tomorrow I will make an update.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
It's a shame, because I understand that this is one of the most beautiful drives in the region. However, I've heard that it's such a slow and painful drive it's just not worth trying.
As James mentioned, 75% of the holes can be avoided. I drove last Saturday in my truck and was able to make it in 3 beers. A nice drive on a sunny day but don't even think about at night and in the rain. Got caught 2 weeks ago driving back from Santiago at 21:00 in the rain. Never again. Now it's the main road via Navarete on the way back. A little longer, 4 beers but much safer at night.