What a US/DR dual citizen should not do

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Had to go to the US Consulate for some business this past week. Boy do I hate going to Santo Domingo, but that is another story. While at the US Consulate I quizzed a Consular Agent, a very helpful man, about what he thought about someone being a dual US and DR citizen versus being a DR resident.

We discussed the new residency renewal requirements in the DR and he said they were indeed ridiculous. He said that he did not see any major issues with being a dual US/DR citizen. And that it would make sense for many to become DR citizens rather than go through the hassle of renewal and potential of eventual denial of residency at some future point (if you don't pass the physical for renewal, for example).

That said, he mentioned two things that a US citizen SHOULD NOT DO if they also hold DR citizenship:

1) They should not vote in Dominican elections (even though a naturalized DR citizen can legally vote in the DR.)

2) They should not run for any political office in the DR. A definite no-no!

Both of those things are heavily frowned upon by the US and could cause you problems with your US citizenship. Just thought I would pass this on for those considering to be US/DR dual citizens.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I suppose the point is that doing either of those two things could be misconstrued as "renouncing" US citizenship...although I personally doubt the US would pursue such action unless there were other reasons for questioning a US citizen's intentions. Still, better safe than sorry, I suppose...and here I was planning to be the first woman president of the DR...heck! :(

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I suppose the point is that doing either of those two things could be misconstrued as "renouncing" US citizenship...although I personally doubt the US would pursue such action unless there were other reasons for questioning a US citizen's intentions. Still, better safe than sorry, I suppose... :(

Agreed. That was my impression as well.

Seacreature

Jul 27, 2013
www.dynagirlonline.com
That said, he mentioned two things that a US citizen SHOULD NOT DO if they also hold DR citizenship:

1) They should not vote in Dominican elections (even though a naturalized DR citizen can legally vote in the DR.)

Both of those things are heavily frowned upon by the US and could cause you problems with your US citizenship. Just thought I would pass this on for those considering to be US/DR dual citizens.

Now that's interesting, as I was considering getting DR citizenship at some point in the future. travel.gov says this:

"In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship."

and then goes on to state this:

Potentially Expatriating Acts

Section 349 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1481), as amended, states that U.S. citizens are subject to loss of citizenship if they perform certain specified acts voluntarily and with the intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship. Briefly stated, these acts include:
1.obtaining naturalization in a foreign state upon one's own application after the age of 18 (Sec. 349 (a) (1) INA);
2.taking an oath, affirmation or other formal declaration of allegiance to a foreign state or its political subdivisions after the age of 18 (Sec. 349 (a) (2) INA);
3.entering or serving in the armed forces of a foreign state engaged in hostilities against the U.S. or serving as a commissioned or non-commissioned officer in the armed forces of a foreign state (Sec. 349 (a) (3) INA);
4.accepting employment with a foreign government after the age of 18 if (a) one has the nationality of that foreign state or (b) an oath or declaration of allegiance is required in accepting the position (Sec. 349 (a) (4) INA);
5.formally renouncing U.S. citizenship before a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer outside the United States (sec. 349 (a) (5) INA);
6.formally renouncing U.S. citizenship within the U.S. (The Department of Homeland Security is responsible for implementing this section of the law) (Sec. 349 (a) (6) INA);
7.conviction for an act of treason (Sec. 349 (a) (7) INA).

So I'd say they definitely frown on running for and winning office, as you'd have to swear things like protecting and defending the country etc. These two things seem to conflict however, because the resons for expatriation say just by applying for another citizenship you can be revoked, but in the other place it says you have to apply with the intent to renounce. Reading between the lines, what they don't want is someone from the US running for a big government office in another country and basically setting themselves up as an expat ruler. I doubt they'd get all offended if you applied and got citizenship, but yeah, I wouldn't mess with politics.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012

What about being on the Dominican Olympic Team?

By the way, what do you hate so much about going to Santo Domingo?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My understanding is acquiring citizenship because of marriage is different than acquiring citizenship as a single person.

The caveate in the law is "with intent of renouncing US citizenship."

I don't see how merely voting would violate that.

Not sure about running for office. Is there even a "natural born citizen" requirement to run for office in the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

First of all, there is no problem at all for a US citizen of any age to have both US and DR citizenship. It is true that you would have to renounce US citizenship to lose it or take additional steps that violate some laws of the US. The US wants your tax dollars forever and ever.

I think you would have to ask about the special case of being on the Olympic team to see if that is "too much".

Why I hate Santo Domingo: It is a 4 to 5 hour trip to get there. When I go, I have to stay at least overnight. I drove there many times, but now take the bus which greatly reduces costs and stress levels. It is frequently unbearably hot, even for my Dominican wife. It is not an attractive city, it is noisy and dirty. The traffic is a nightmare. There is nothing I would go there for at all if it wasn't for government regulations that require me to be there from time to time to renew a cedula, residency, they screw up my gun permit, I have business that can only be done at the US Embassy, etc. I dislike cities in general, and Santo Domingo is a perfect example of why I dislike them.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Let me count the ways...

1. Traffic is hell. I go there by motorcycle. By the time i've traveled from JFK to the Malecon (on the sidewalk) i've passed 500 cars sitting at traffic lights.

2. The pollution from all of the cars is hell. By the time i've reached the Colonial Zone, i am coughing up some black, slimy, exhaust looking smoke from my lungs. However, I use it to glue back my soles onto my boots. It works.

3. The Malecon is dirty, grimy, with plastic trash accumulating on the edges of the road--resembling a gay pride parade that just passed through with a lot of chiffon and Boa feathers backing up the sewer system.

4. Trying to make from one end of Abraham Lincoln to the next in a 24hr period is nearly impossible.

5. Trying to drive from one end of JFK to the next is nearly impossible on a motorcycle because...they have this fantastic law in the DR which states that "No motorcycle are permitted on the overhead bridges or in the tunnels." when i come out of the tunnels--sometimes exceeding speeds which have me driving above the pavement--i encounter stupid AMET officer trying to get me to pull over to issue you me a ticket for going through the tunnel...on a 1000cc motorcycle...not a 50cc scooter!

6. Did i mention the traffic sucks, and it's hot, and the exhausts from all of the vehicles stuck in "Traffic Hell" causes people to come down with Asthma, Glaucoma, and Gonorrhea in as little as one hour.

How many more reasons you want. Let me count them out for you later.

Frank

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
oh Frank/./ Take the BUS. And then take a taxi or the publicos..

A new transplant from the States who lives near me asked me why these two Americans who he knew who lived here in SD were so ****y and tense when they had lived here for two or three years.. while he and I seemed.. well.. so mellow.. and I thought about it for a bit.. and then I asked.. Do they have cars? And he said yes.

Taxis are 400 pesos an hour. The bus from the North Coast costs, what? about 400 pesos? You are certainly spending more than that in gas. And you are taking your life in your hands every instance. When you could be just sitting back in an air conditioned cab looking at the scenery,, getting your stuff done.

If you figure it out.. the carros all run one way along Independencia, and the other way along Bolivar.. so for 25 pesos you are back to the hotel.

It is like going to NYC. You do not take a car into NYC unless you are .. well,.nuts.

So please, next time, take the Bus. Stay over in the Zona or Gazcue. Enjoy the theater or a museum or the malls or something... the car races.. or something.

but do not drive the bike.

of course you would hate it. anyone would

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As I mentioned, I hate it and I realized years ago that taking the bus and taxis were the "best" way to deal with Santo Domingo. There is no way to polish a turd.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
7. Did i mention that driving down certain streets--trying to avoid all of the missing manhole covers--is like driving through Baghdad during the war?

Frank