Damn Cane Toads!!

I forgot we had 2 Cane Toads in the freezer since that is supposed to be the most humane way to kill them. Not a nice surprise when looking for ice cream!!

Someone told me the other day that there is a vaccination for them for out pets! Had I known that I would have done that a long time ago. I don't really like killing anything. ARG those toads are big but so tame. They just hang out and don't move. Well they did move the bowl I had it covered with till the wife dealt with it :)

Had to use the poison kit once since my one eye'd devil of a dog like to toss them about in his mouth!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
freeze 'em? i just grab them and move them to greener pastures, outside the house. our dogs have enough sense not to eat them or even bite them and they are way too big to interest cats. in fact at times i see fatso, the cat, sitting side by side in the garden with a toad, both relaxed.

1z90dd.jpg

dom

Jun 1, 2011
how can it be more human to stick the frog in the freezer and let it slowly freeze to death, within im just guessing 4 to 8 hours or even more, instead of taking a concrete block and just pop them in 1 second, if you actually have to kill them, i always put them on a rake and send them flying over the wall ;)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
freeze 'em? i just grab them and move them to greener pastures, outside the house. our dogs have enough sense not to eat them or even bite them and they are way too big to interest cats. in fact at times i see fatso, the cat, sitting side by side in the garden with a toad, both relaxed.

1z90dd.jpg

dv8, how can you pick up those toads with your bare hands!:eek:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dv8, how can you pick up those toads with your bare hands!:eek:

easily. i find them toad cute as a button. i pick them up all the time, no harm done. normally i move them to the front of the house, sometimes outside. costambar is full of them. just last week i went outside in the morning to feed the dogs and i saw one of those giant toads floating in their water bowl. i touched its leg and it turned out to be very alive so i just grabbed it and relocated it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you and miesposo both. he won't touch a toad or a frog. at all. ever. he is not keen in general on my save lives policy and he kept safe distance when i trapped a cacata in our living room. occasionally i get worse off from those close encounters. toads release this weird liquid. it does not bother or sting but you still get the feeling of being peed on that is not so exciting when your name ain't kim kuntdashian. and i'll have you know that lizards bite. hard.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i sometimes wonder about this. i approach those toads in a friendly fashion. my grip is decisive but not painful for them. and mind you, sometimes i have to rise them up above my head so the dogs cannot reach it. they must be able to see the dogs and sense danger. yet i have never suffered negative consequences of my silly rescue attempts.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
my daughters doggie licked one once and he started foaming at the mouth, the dog not the toad :)

May 29, 2006
The word "toady" is thought to come from guys who would lick toads to get sick for patent medicine shows back in the day.

I'd actually like to see one of these cane toads. One would be enough I think. I've only seen one frog in the DR and it was scrawny and weird looking.

May 29, 2006
I've been in the States for about six years. I saw Tarantulas and some other critters in the DR, but no toads.