Gas prices soar to record in Dominican Republic

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santo Domingo.- Gas prices set a record in Dominican Republic on Friday, when premium gasoline soared to RD$260.00, after three straight weeks of increases at the pumps totaling RD$8.80 per gallon.

Starting Saturday, premium gasoline will cost RD$2.10 more per gallon, while regular jumps to RD$241.90, or RD$2.40 more; propane gas will cost RD$100, an increase of 22 cents and diesels remain unchanged at RD$216.40 for premium and RD$209.70 for regular per gallon.

Fuel oil continues at RD$139.80; avtur still costs RD$155.25; kerosene will cost RD$193.50 and natural gas continues at RD $ 30.50 per cubic meter.

Source: DT

May 12, 2005
Gas, electricity and a high ITIBIS. The triple whammy. For most ex-pats these increases are more easily absorbed as they have have dollar/euro incomes. But for the middle class Dominicans it can push them to the brink, even with wage increases.

Dec 26, 2011
Gas, electricity and a high ITIBIS. The triple whammy. For most ex-pats these increases are more easily absorbed as they have have dollar/euro incomes. But for the middle class Dominicans it can push them to the brink, even with wage increases.

Not to mention the working poor.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Shocking when you shop at Janet's and pay pretty much the same prices for food there as in Canada.
Makes you wonder how a local Dominican manages to get by.
Arroz y platano.

you hit the nail squarely on the head. that is why more and more obese people are popping up in the Dominican population, with all manner of health issues. they can only afford carbohydrates.

notreallyconfused

Feb 18, 2013
just wait till you see the trickle down effects of the gas prices...

yes everything from the cost of Pollo to taxi fares will rise. The worst part is when gas prices eventually come down, the costs of the things that rose because of it, will stay high. This is a very unfortunate part of life in the tropics. I hear Cuba, Ecuador, Venezuela, Boliva and Nicaragua are still really cheap???????????

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Santo Domingo.- Gas prices set a record in Dominican Republic on Friday, when premium gasoline soared to RD$260.00, after three straight weeks of increases at the pumps totaling RD$8.80 per gallon.

Starting Saturday, premium gasoline will cost RD$2.10 more per gallon, while regular jumps to RD$241.90, or RD$2.40 more; propane gas will cost RD$100, an increase of 22 cents and diesels remain unchanged at RD$216.40 for premium and RD$209.70 for regular per gallon.

Fuel oil continues at RD$139.80; avtur still costs RD$155.25; kerosene will cost RD$193.50 and natural gas continues at RD $ 30.50 per cubic meter.

Source: DT

And it is already so expensive!

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
yes everything from the cost of Pollo to taxi fares will rise. The worst part is when gas prices eventually come down, the costs of the things that rose because of it, will stay high. This is a very unfortunate part of life in the tropics. I hear Cuba, Ecuador, Venezuela, Boliva and Nicaragua are still really cheap???????????

Venezuela is cheap but you paid like 0.02 for a liter of gasoline.. Only problem now is that many products are not for sale anymore or not produced thanks to Chavez economics..
Ecuador gotten real expensive when some smartasses decided to introduce the US dollar as oficial currency..

Bolivia and Nicaraqua should be very cheap yes... still local wages are also very low..

Feb 15, 2005
Don't be too surprised. Every world renown economist is predicting another financial collapse coming to a town near you. So be on the lookout.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Being Canadian I am used to high gas prices, but the price of gas is ridiculous when you consider that oil is cheaper now than 8 years ago.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
current spike in gas prices in DR is due to unique way the government manages its votes, i mean, its people. the rate itself always fluctuates anyway and i will go down eventually. but on the daily basis, in order to keep padres de familia happy, the actual price does not immediately reflect the changes in global oil price, so that votes, i mean citizens, do not see the price going up week after week, no end. and then, when it cannot be maintained at the previous level a sudden spike comes sending everyone into panic.

no worries. the prices will decrease. but, as previous posters mentioned, your average dominican vote, i mean, average dominican will be f**ked up anyway, because with higher gas prices come higher product prices, higher service rates and higher daily bills. plus, we have just seen a rise in sueldo minimo. the government wants canasta familiar to be available to everyone and prides itself that with bigger minimum salary people can now buy more products from the canasta. yet they forget to mention canasta itself now costs more...

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
For an island 6 bucks a gallon for gasoline seems reasonable. The killer is the cost of propane on the poor.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm in Holland right now, where has prices are among the highest in the world (between usd8-9 per gallon), but I realized in DR it's just as expensive. About usd 6.2 / gallon but at least 30% less in mileage per gallon. Per km it's about the same.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012

All strong anti-American regimes. Talk about crime.. ..Venezuela makes the D.R look like Kansas.
May as well add Syria,Iran and Iraq to that list.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
I'm in Holland right now, where has prices are among the highest in the world (between usd8-9 per gallon), but I realized in DR it's just as expensive. About usd 6.2 / gallon but at least 30% less in mileage per gallon. Per km it's about the same.

But you take a look on the factors of the oil price in for example Holland and Dominican republic.. In Holland its so high due to taxes.. (and hopefully you get something back like education, safety, care etc). While in the DR the price may be so high due to processing distribution etc).

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
But you take a look on the factors of the oil price in for example Holland and Dominican republic.. In Holland its so high due to taxes.. (and hopefully you get something back like education, safety, care etc). While in the DR the price may be so high due to processing distribution etc).

DR is for a great part taxes as well, about 47%. Holland is 57%.