Sosua businessman calls for improvements of the Sosua beach

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
PUERTO PLATA. ? Fully concerned about the negative aspects of this tourist section of Sosua and that the authorities refuse to proceed to improve this beach resort, businessman Mario Garcia sent a letter to the editor of Puerto Plata Digital which we are summarizing in this news article.

?We complain, we complain, we spent some time asking and longing, but in the end we agree or we let a minority prevent the beautification and development of Sosua? ? he expressed in his letter. Garcia said that on several occasions the relocation and re-organization of the beach huts was offered but the minority sectors opposed it without explaining the specific reasons. He recalled that the Ministry of Tourism has offered to host booths for beach vendors there and these are contrary under various allegations, so called allegations that some of them are subjected to analysis, but warned that if they have or not caseteros? reason, the mentioned booths must be organized for the welfare and development of Sosua.

He said that all associations and institutions of Sosua, Cabarete and Puerto Plata, all the local and national press as well as the community at large must join in the request for urgent and immediate re-organization of the existing houses on the beach of Sosua. The businessman Mario Garcia said that in the end this will benefit caseteros more, than if they are extorted by some special interests that want to take advantage of this situation instead of coordinating actions by the rescue from the beach of Sosua which will bring progress for all.

Source: Puerto Plata Digital

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Why would they want to fix up the Beach in Sosua? Yea it's the best attraction Sosua has but I thought they already saved
Sosua by closing those massage places and rescuing those slaves at Passions. The Dominicans always amaze me in the way
Things are done. You say one thing and do another. Please improve the beautiful beach you were blessed with before rescuing
any more hookers.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
How about picking up the trash durning the day not just in the morning when the beach racked.
If they try to tear down the huts it will be madness.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Those huts are way overdue for a makeover. If you walk the beach after they are closed, take a look at how dilapidated most of them are. Some need major renos while many only need some paint and some TLC. You have some closer to Charamicos that look great. I am all for a renewal of the beach but would also hate to see it lose its character. I love Sosua beach.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Those huts are way overdue for a makeover. If you walk the beach after they are closed, take a look at how dilapidated most of them are. Some need major renos while many only need some paint and some TLC. You have some closer to Charamicos that look great. I am all for a renewal of the beach but would also hate to see it lose its character. I love Sosua beach.

I'd also like the beach to retain its character, but I agree that some of the huts need sprucing up.

Regarding what has been done at the Charamicos end, I was amazed yesterday when walking the beach for first time in about 6 weeks to see a restaurant that is a building in every respect. There are a couple others that are not shacks, but this one stands out.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
When it comes to tourism...these people really know what they are doing. They are very good at killing the good things they have by overdoing things instead of just improving the things that actually work.

It amazes my how these businessmen want their short turn profits and don't give a crap about the long term consequences.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I like Sosua beach and all the different bars and shops behind it. For me the beach isn't the problem in Sosua. The problem is the dirty, badly maintained streets which would put any visitor off.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'd also like the beach to retain its character, but I agree that some of the huts need sprucing up.

Regarding what has been done at the Charamicos end, I was amazed yesterday when walking the beach for first time in about 6 weeks to see a restaurant that is a building in every respect. There are a couple others that are not shacks, but this one stands out.

I don't know how it is now but it used to be that when the sun went down the beach closed up. No lights or security.

Some fixing up, paint, lights and security could do wonders for evening walks along the shore and business'.

A lot cheaper and easier then bull dozing and rebuilding something that the locals don't want and ruin part of the charm.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I like Sosua beach and all the different bars and shops behind it. For me the beach isn't the problem in Sosua. The problem is the dirty, badly maintained streets which would put any visitor off.
That and the ^$$%$^ motochonchos. Witnessed 2 cases today where the tourists had to jump out of the way or get run over. These *ssholes have no respect for people, screw up traffic, make noise, I'm sure they are involved in the drug trade etc. in town and Amet & Politur let them do as they please. The cops are going to get involved in kicking people out of their shacks on the beach when they are afraid of motoconchos. Yea sure.....

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The above posts are what the Sosua government should be looking at before any of the things they are doing and talking about now. Make this town cleaner, fix up the roads, slow down the motos, clean up that mess of motos parked all the way down PC at night. Even simple things like go around to all the light poles around town and do something about the guide wires that are all frayed and cutting people when walking by. Fix up the little thing and then go from there....they go azz backwards around here.

Dont complain, do you remember before when the politur had this old beaten police car, and drove back and forward. If animals were asleep politur just smiled and drove over them, crushing every bones in the body of the poor dogs down there.

So in a weird way we have "progress" down there, we just dont see it.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Dont complain, do you remember before when the politur had this old beaten police car, and drove back and forward. If animals were asleep politur just smiled and drove over them, crushing every bones in the body of the poor dogs down there.

Yes we have progress but the direction of the current progress is not thought out well. They need to make a plan to improve thing from the bottom up. Fix the little things like this and more...the little things that help the people day by day and improve the quality of life. There is just too much fixation on the glossy high profile things that can line peoples pockets but never really help with this quality of life.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002

Sorry, in 32 years, never saw that.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Sorry, in 32 years, never saw that.
Oh and another thing, never saw Politur with a beaten up old car. PN yes. Politur are a relatively new organization and started out with new equipment. Not saying that they're the best but better than nothing.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I'm making the assumption most of you know the chatter on this gringo chat box has less than zero impact on life here, right?