New Fishing Piers in Santo Domingo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I was away to Long Island for the weekend, and I'm playing catch-up with the news. I'm surprised that no one has commented on the lead story of DR1 News from Friday. We noticed all the construction along that stretch last Spring, but didn't realize what the work encompassed:

Fishing on the new Malecon piers

Mayor of Santo Domingo Roberto Salcedo says that the first phase of the Paseo Maritimo 30 de Mayo would be ready in two months time, reports Diario Libre. The new city walkway is under construction on a 4.5 km stretch on the Malecon between Abraham Lincoln and Nunez de Caceres avenues. Six piers extended into the Caribbean Sea for use by recreational fishing during the day and even at night is the novelty of the renewed public space. These will also serve as miradors and there will be security by municipal police during the day and night. The works are costing RD$175 million said the mayor. Salcedo pointed out the area was a degraded public area before and now will be able to be fully enjoyed by city residents. The city government is working to improve the sea-bordering protected area that stretches around 15 kms from west to east at the south side of Santo Domingo.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Things are just getting better and better every day in the DR! I'm noticing more respectful people, nicer products being imported to Bravo, and better electricity services in La Vega for my family.. Now I'm just not looking forward to these gas prices and the hikes that will come with them :(

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
yes, the only problem is how to get across Av George Washington without getting killed.

It is like running the bulls at Pamplona.. of course the fishermen are our really early.. before 7 30 Am you can still get across after that it is taking your life in your hands.

ok the garbage floats on the top.. but aside from the days when it rains, the water must be pretty clear?? after all it iVenezuela is a long way...

and well, it is fishing..

There was something also about cutting down on truck traffic on Geo Washington so maybe that will help.

of course, the fishermen do not probably live here in Gazcue..

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
I was away to Long Island for the weekend, and I'm playing catch-up with the news. I'm surprised that no one has commented on the lead story of DR1 News from Friday. We noticed all the construction along that stretch last Spring, but didn't realize what the work encompassed:

Fishing on the new Malecon piers

Mayor of Santo Domingo Roberto Salcedo says that the first phase of the Paseo Maritimo 30 de Mayo would be ready in two months time, reports Diario Libre. The new city walkway is under construction on a 4.5 km stretch on the Malecon between Abraham Lincoln and Nunez de Caceres avenues. Six piers extended into the Caribbean Sea for use by recreational fishing during the day and even at night is the novelty of the renewed public space. These will also serve as miradors and there will be security by municipal police during the day and night. The works are costing RD$175 million said the mayor. Salcedo pointed out the area was a degraded public area before and now will be able to be fully enjoyed by city residents. The city government is working to improve the sea-bordering protected area that stretches around 15 kms from west to east at the south side of Santo Domingo.

Frank12 had a comment on his SD Traffic thread that the parts he motoed thru look like, how was it you described it Frank?, Oh yeah, "The Malecon is dirty, grimy, with plastic trash accumulating on the edges of the road--resembling a gay pride parade that just passed through with a lot of chiffon and Boa feathers backing up the sewer system."

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On my recent trip I did notice the piers, but also how ugly the malecon still looked.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What a shame, I was picturing New Jersey style wooden piers, built to withstand storms. Silly me.

What we saw was the sidewalks going in, the cleanup around the heliport pad, etc., but that was last April. My vision of what was to come was obviously flawed. Gee, what a surprise.

May 12, 2005
It wasn't always ugly

1010900_550401101661931_233244578_n.jpg

1000889_549284951773546_861937309_n.jpg

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
What a shame, I was picturing New Jersey style wooden piers, built to withstand storms. Silly me.

What we saw was the sidewalks going in, the cleanup around the heliport pad, etc., but that was last April. My vision of what was to come was obviously flawed. Gee, what a surprise.

Do not despair AE. I've been in and out of SD and the Malecon area over the last couple of years. What is being done is definitely better that what was. Now we need sanitation to be integrated.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Slowly, but surely the Malecon is getting attention

There are facts that indicate the Malecon is focus of attention by government authorities, both the city government and the central government. Aside from the effort to turn the coastline into a park usable by city residents with the construction of the walkways and the piers, there is more. The Executive Branch just sent to Congress a bill whereby hotels and tourism projects built on the Malecon will be awarded full tax exemption for 10 years.

Regarding the piers, they are interesting. I will get some feedback from architecture friends and see what they say. If I have the chance, will drop down there and get some photos to share here.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you drive further out to around km8 1/2 I believe they are actually decking them in timber and so are nice when completed, the further along they get the less finished they are but while driving past the other day I remember thinking they are nice additions and I think I remember a timber finish so...............

They have gone park crazy though, they are building a new park on this side so you don't have to contend with traffic, it is large, runs from the road right up to indepencia. Ad having a peak over the fan e the other day it looks like they are making a cycle way for the kids etc.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I like them, I think. On a negative I would expect to see a lot more bodies of people, cats and dogs etc turning up washed ashore down the coast. And the holiday periods should claim a decent amount of drunken youths thinking jumping off is a great idea, and you know how much of a bad landing that will be. So next years DR1 sweep on drunken deaths should rise a little on this years.

In reality, it is just nice to se something being done, something for the people, malls are getting boring, and more and more empty.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The work they're doing on the malecon is hardly noticeable, other than the street lamps that look a little newer. The new fishing piers are just ugly steel platforms that extend 20 ft or so out over the water.

I hope they last, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the first storm takes them. They've conveniently been painted red, to hide the rust that's already starting to form.
I wondered what those were.

Too small for helipads...but in the same area. When I first saw them the upper cabling had.t been installed.

Who'd eat a fish from there? The river is fairly close by and that water is just nasty...