shipping barrel to DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Im in Canada and I want to send a barrel to Sanitago.
Can you folks tell me what type of things I can send without creating problems with custums.
I want to send used tools and electronics, clothes. Maybe some food stuff.

What are your thoughts and expieriences.
Perralta quoted 120 bucks but didnt answer any of these other questions.
Any other information would also be helpful.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
when you get there they will charge you the tax before its shipped off that would be the door to door service

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Most people i know (usa) take a chance and send lots of stuff in barrels that supposedly only contain food and used clothing, no tax. No one I know has ever been "caught"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Most people i know (usa) take a chance and send lots of stuff in barrels that supposedly only contain food and used clothing, no tax. No one I know has ever been "caught"

That has been our experience too. We put everything and anything that will fit in there.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I always put a few bags of candy on top of everything. They go missing but the rest of my stuff is unmolested.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I always put a few bags of candy on top of everything. They go missing but the rest of my stuff is unmolested.

We've been pretty lucky over the years, not much missing. We wrap the boxes in stretch film [we used to have a business and used it all the time for packing, one day a light bulb went off and we decided it would was a good idea]. Embarque Bella Vista then adds metal straps to the boxes, so they're pretty tamper proof.

IMG_0612.jpg

Jan 9, 2004
Im in Canada and I want to send a barrel to Sanitago.
Can you folks tell me what type of things I can send without creating problems with custums.
I want to send used tools and electronics, clothes. Maybe some food stuff.

What are your thoughts and expieriences.
Perralta quoted 120 bucks but didnt answer any of these other questions.
Any other information would also be helpful.

Clothing and food are no problem. After that you are in an area where if they open the barrel (they randomly check each arriving container) and find electronics....you will be contacted by the shipper for duty.

That having been said, the likelihood of yours being the random one or two is low. They do also use scanners to check for anomalies....and my shipper reports that guns/ammo, amongst other illegal items have been discovered inside some of the incoming barrels.

I prefer the TV size boxes over barrels....its just a matter of how much more you can get in a square box versus a round barrel....especially if you are putting smaller size boxes inside....no wasted space. To be sure the boxes are cardboard and subject to break, but I have shipped lots of them without problem. The trick, if you will, is to reinforce the bottoms with duct tape and use clear packing tape over that. I do the same thing for the tops, because you never know which side may end up on the bottom.

If you do not mind the 3-4 week wait, it can be a convenient way to ship things to the DR.....and the door to door service is a blessing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To the OP - does that $120 include the purchase of the drum/barrel? They're usually bought separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.