Airline Fares

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
American Airlines

While checking American Airline fares from Tampa Florida to Santiago I accidentally left the country of residence listed as the Dominican Republic instead of the United States............
the one way fare was $227. U.S.........

Upon seeing this, I changed the country of residence to the United States. All the other information stayed the same. The price lowered from $227 to $206..............Why?..............

Guess it pays to be a resident of the U.S.

B in Santiago

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Airline fares change by the minute.
Some changes are computer generated, based on passenger bookings for a particular flight.
"Don't Worry, Be HAPPY"!
I had a fare go up 30 dollars from when I saw it, to when I booked it.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
"Don't Worry, Be HAPPY"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/yv-Fk1PwVeU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>.............

Feb 7, 2007
Guess it pays to be a resident of the U.S.

No such thing. Simple ITBIS issue on the fare portion. If you are identifying yourself as DR citizen/resident then you are being quoted fares in RD$ and tickets are issued by AA in Santo Domingo even if for TPA to STI route. There comes an ITBIS issue to the play where they are obliged to collect ITBIS on the fare portion of the price. That's why the difference.

In the DR, even if you buy a ticket for NYC-LONDON, but through a DR travel agent, and the tickets are issued in the DR, you have to pay ITBIS on the fare portion of that ticket.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR government puts huge taxes on airline tickets to increase revenue.
Soooooooooooooo, the tickets cost more, and people go elsewhere, to spend their REAL money!
Great logic!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I had a lot of fun with AA recently, partly my fault, but I had to change my flight (that I bought from a UK website). They said because I have UK Credit Card they have to give me all the prices in ? and not $, that was bad because they use their own expensive exchange rate. Then they said the cost of re-issuing the ticket is $25 but for me is ?30 !?, add to that ?100 for change of ticket and I was quite out of pocket before even the extra for the cost of ticket which was higher than my original !?