AMET Cracking Down On Car Noise

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The commander of the traffic police (AMET) announced that car owners have until August 2 the opportunity to make their vehicles silent. The commander Juan Polanco Mart?nez said that after this date AMET will act tough against noise caused by defective mufflers and loud playing stereos in cars. The officers of the traffic police will frequently patrol the streets of Sos?a after 2 August and violators of noise disturbance will be arrested immediately. The owners of the vehicles can expect a severe fine

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
From today's Sosua News:

The commander of the traffic police (AMET) announced that car owners have until August 2 the opportunity to make their vehicles silent. The commander Juan Polanco Mart?nez said that after this date AMET will act tough against noise caused by defective mufflers and loud playing stereos in cars. The officers of the traffic police will frequently patrol the streets of Sos?a after 2 August and violators of noise disturbance will be arrested immediately. The owners of the vehicles can expect a severe fine

my buddies work as Port Authority cops in NY-NJ. that takes them up by the Washington Heights area. they say that the loud stereos in cars there are as bad as they are in the DR. the only difference is that they murder those guys with summonses. the fine is something like 150 dollars for a first offense. they will learn.

this is a great initiative, if they can enforce it. this country is entirely too noisy, and that is responsible, in part, for a great deal of the social malaise.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If it happens it is a plus! If its a permanent change its a miracle! Haha

forget permanent. they can do it now, since elections are far off in the future. come 2016, guys will be riding around with amplifiers on their mufflers.

May 12, 2005
my buddies work as Port Authority cops in NY-NJ. that takes them up by the Washington Heights area. they say that the loud stereos in cars there are as bad as they are in the DR. the only difference is that they murder those guys with summonses. the fine is something like 150 dollars for a first offense. they will learn.

this is a great initiative, if they can enforce it. this country is entirely too noisy, and that is responsible, in part, for a great deal of the social malaise.

ECB summons are no joke.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I think the ECB fine for horn honking is $300.

i remember that in the area around lower Broadway, around 17th St, it was 250 dollars as far back as 1985! a cop can ticket you anywhere for blowing your horn without a justifiable reason. they just cannot be bothered with the paperwork.

May 12, 2005
i remember that in the area around lower Broadway, around 17th St, it was 250 dollars as far back as 1985! a cop can ticket you anywhere for blowing your horn without a justifiable reason. they just cannot be bothered with the paperwork.

ECBs are strictly a NYC thing, But the NYS VTL does have a section for Using Horn; Other Than Danger. Meaning that the horn is only to be used to alert other motorists/pedestrians to your presence to avoid a collision or other mishap. Toca la bocina is not allowed just because the light turned green 1/10 of a second before.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Frank the Tank;1289726[COLOR="#FF0000" said:
Toca la bocina is not allowed just because the light turned green 1/10 of a second before.

A New York Minute!!!!

There were articles in yesterday's paper listing high fines in DR for running red lights, driving without license and a bunch of others. If they actually start enforcing them there will be a free-for-all!

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
When will the politicos of this banana republic realize that this is a 3rd world country and focus on the important things. O wait, the important things dont put money in their pockets....

Te digo....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

I clicked like on the post but I don't beleive in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, 14 Yr.old virgins, oh yea and the above BS ;)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I hope it applies to the motos too!

From today's Sosua News:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A New York Minute!!!!

There were articles in yesterday's paper listing high fines in DR for running red lights, driving without license and a bunch of others. If they actually start enforcing them there will be a free-for-all!

I've never understood why Dominican cabbies are allowed to ride around honking at every pedestrian they see trying to cross the street. And it's only them that do it.

I know it's to get the attention of a potential fare but still, if someone is looking for a taxi they put their hand up. If not, they just want to cross to the other side.

Just another instance (aside from the loud car music and everything else) of how some Dominicans think the laws don't apply to them. Or even worse, how inconsiderate they are to the people around them.

The public park across the street from where I live? The cops have to ride in and shut down their parties every weekend. They cannot possibly fathom respecting the curfew without being told. They have to be fumigated, and it's always the same people who live in the neighborhood and should know better.

Then of course, it's the police's fault. They're the dicks who never leave them alone. Go figure that logic out.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i honk all the time. darn, i honk even when i go in with green lights, just in case. honk is my fren.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I truly hope they follow through and lock them up for a few days and a fine!

There's no reason why they have to blast their music for all to hear.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
AMET will stir the pot for 30 days and will get tired of it. Then return back to the unconcerned status-quo.

Regards,

PJT