Finally got fast, reliable (so far) internet from Claro

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
So after many fruitless trips to the Claro office in Veron to get internet service (I could never seem to fulfill their requirements for documentation), I now have Claro DSL. A couple of weeks ago a door-to-door salesman came around selling Claro tv and internet plans. Practically no questions asked and I was signed up. A week later it was installed. I'm getting 7 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up. It's supposed to be 10 Mbps down but I'll settle for 7. I wasn't expecting more than 5.

I've kept my Tricom WiMAX connection so I'll always have a backup. That one is 3 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up.

So far so good. I haven't noticed degradation in service during peak hours as of yet. Hopefully that doesn't become an issue.

Anyone know what the user/password is to sign into the Claro router? Mine is a ZyXEL P-660HN-51. Googling claims that the default user/password is admin/1234 but that doesn't work.

Who's got Claro DSL in the east? Any success/horror stories?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
So after many fruitless trips to the Claro office in Veron to get internet service (I could never seem to fulfill their requirements for documentation), I now have Claro DSL. A couple of weeks ago a door-to-door salesman came around selling Claro tv and internet plans. Practically no questions asked and I was signed up. A week later it was installed. I'm getting 7 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up. It's supposed to be 10 Mbps down but I'll settle for 7. I wasn't expecting more than 5.

I've kept my Tricom WiMAX connection so I'll always have a backup. That one is 3 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up.

So far so good. I haven't noticed degradation in service during peak hours as of yet. Hopefully that doesn't become an issue.

You should complain. Tell them you were promised 10 down when you bought the plan and are only getting 7

You aren't going to get points from Claro for not complaining. They are not going to give you any breaks and you shouldn't accept less than what you are paying for.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You should complain. Tell them you were promised 10 down when you bought the plan and are only getting 7

You aren't going to get points from Claro for not complaining. They are not going to give you any breaks and you shouldn't accept less than what you are paying for.
It depends on how far from the switchimng station they are.

7 may be all they can get, but agreed, she should make the call...

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
You people talk like this is a first world country....LOL. After 4 years here I've learned to accept what I get... it's better than the headache of dealing with brain dead people.

Actually I got the Multiplan with TV, internet, and a landline. The quality of the TV is bearable at best. The phone has an annoying buzz. But I don't really care. Eight years in the Caribbean have allowed me to learn not to give a crap about much. :laugh:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Eight years in the Caribbean have allowed me to learn not to give a crap about much. :laugh:
5 1/2 years and I'm already there.

I'm selective on what I give a crap about: family and friends come first, pets second, businesses third, "stuff" fourth and the rest tied for last...

CocoBoy

Feb 23, 2012
You people talk like this is a first world country....LOL. After 4 years here I've learned to accept what I get... it's better than the headache of dealing with brain dead people.

Actually I got the Multiplan with TV, internet, and a landline. The quality of the TV is bearable at best. The phone has an annoying buzz. But I don't really care. Eight years in the Caribbean have allowed me to learn not to give a crap about much. :laugh:

If there is noise on the telephone line, it is possible that may be responsible for lower internet speed also. My advice would be to tell Claro about the noise on the line and the speed difference. Be persistent and maybe, just maybe things will improve. For me, 8 years here and still learning!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I also suggest that you complain about not getting speed you are paying for. Do be prepared for a brain dead response, but it is worth a try.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Things don't improve if people don't complain.

I've been here and in the Caribbean 3+ times longer than you and that is what I have learned.

Beach Pilot

Feb 22, 2011
How to get what you are paying for

I also suggest that you complain about not getting speed you are paying for. Do be prepared for a brain dead response, but it is worth a try.

I had some speed problems with Claro. So I logged into Speedtest.net and recorded my speeds. I was paying for 2MB but receiving a lot less, (.65). Seems the problem was in their central office. Their tech, who is a 26 year veteran with them, confirmed my speed. He called his central office contact and within 20 minutes all was well. After much conversation one afternoon downtown, they gave me 3 months for free. You might want to threaten to do the dying cockroach dance in their lobby. Worked for me.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011

Anyone know what the user/password is to sign into the Claro router? Mine is a ZyXEL P-660HN-51. Googling claims that the default user/password is admin/1234 but that doesn't work.

Who's got Claro DSL in the east? Any success/horror stories?

How much are you paying?

To add to the thread. I got pretty lucky. When I ordered 1Mbps Claro DSL + 400 Min per month phone line I was supposed to be paying $1700 per month with taxes included. When I went to pay, the lady said it was $680. I kindly asked her why it was so little; she said my account hadn't been finalized; what ever that means. So basically, for the past 5 months ive been paying $680 for 1Mbps DSL and 400 min per month. The only down side is that I can't upgrade the Mbps on my DSL cause my account still shows "pending". So to upgrade I would have to be referred to a supervisor to "finalize" my account and then I could upgrade the MBps; but then I would have to start paying the normal fees. So I've become accustomed to my 1Mbps connection.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
lisagauss provides just another example of the "brain dead" style here. In this case working for the moment to the customers advantage. Rare, but it happens.

duskull

May 30, 2013
you get in using admin/admin on 10.0.0.1 http telnet or ftp but its only give show access you dont get root access :s

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Beware!!! I bet at some point they will bag you with your normal bills all at once...They totally did a number on me...I wanted 2 MBPS, Cell phone calls, and no phone rental...BAM! I got 1 MBPS, no cell calls and a rental...And, because I used my passport, they told me in order to change my plan that I would have to pay more just for that change over and I could not get the Internet without a phone...So, the only thing I could do without penalty was to upgrade to what I wanted in the first place, 2 MBPS..

Codetel was much better before it went over to Claro and I also used Tricome which was more money, but no games..Being in puerto Plata? your screwed! Claro is the only game in town..Unless anyone here knows of another...I would love to drop Claro, nothing but crooks and line feeders...I spend quite a bit on calling cards because of this mistake to boot, much more than if they did what they were suppose to do..

Cookie Crumbled and I'm out of milk..

Skynet

How much are you paying?

To add to the thread. I got pretty lucky. When I ordered 1Mbps Claro DSL + 400 Min per month phone line I was supposed to be paying $1700 per month with taxes included. When I went to pay, the lady said it was $680. I kindly asked her why it was so little; she said my account hadn't been finalized; what ever that means. So basically, for the past 5 months ive been paying $680 for 1Mbps DSL and 400 min per month. The only down side is that I can't upgrade the Mbps on my DSL cause my account still shows "pending". So to upgrade I would have to be referred to a supervisor to "finalize" my account and then I could upgrade the MBps; but then I would have to start paying the normal fees. So I've become accustomed to my 1Mbps connection.