Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re Stray Animals On The Highway

From today's Sosua News:

Last Sunday afternoon a resident of Montellano crashed after a frontal collision with two cows that unexpectedly crossed the road between Cabarete and Sos˙a.

The motorcyclist died during transport in the ambulance to the public clinic in Montellano. This is the umpteenth time that a road user was brought in danger by stray cattle on the open road. The commander of the fire brigade Luis Alberto Salazar in Sos˙a subsequently announced that enough is enough. The stray cows and horses, with no clear owner, will be captured and then slaughtered. The meat will go to orphanages and the like and be distributed to poor families.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Stray animals are a clear and present danger. I hope those words are indeed turned into actions.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

We see this all the time on tour. Very common.

One needs to have their head on a swivel in the rural areas because of the animals. I hit a goat (they act like small deer) two years ago near Polo Magnetico, crashed, and cracked my scapula and a couple of ribs.

ALWAYS scrubb off speed in the presence of animals on the side of the road. And let me guess: no helmets were worn...

Very sad and avoidable.

It's one of the hazards we discuss in our eBook, Two Wheels in Paradise: the Essential Guide to Riding Motorcycles in the Dominican Republic.

PM me with an email address if you want a free copy. Choose: .pdf, .doc, .mobi or .epub formats.

4. Likes fifilein, Harleysrock liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Cows hit are immediately butchered and distributed. Been going on for years, nothing new here. Plus no one ever comes forward to admit ownership of the dead animal. Mmmmm, its steak for dinner tonight.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

the stupidity of some people while driving here boggles my mind every single day

7. Likes Ringo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If one is not used to third world driving and animals sharing the highway its lack of experience not stupidity. Some newbies even drive at night until they get killed, have a near fatal miss or learn. Driving in the DR is a steep learning curve. Want to live on the edge then get a motorcycle and drive at night. Many of the other drivers are drunk. At night on the weekends most are drunk. A few have no headlights. The whole DR driving expereince is way past stupid.

9. Likes Harleysrock, cobraboy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

A dozen years ago for a time before moving to POP from Luperon I drove every weekday night at 11 PM on a scooter from Imbert to Luperon after arriving from POP via public transport. Can't recall how many cows were on the road and how many horses taking care of making the next generation . Somehow they loved to do it on the road lol.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zoomzx11 View Post
    Cows hit are immediately butchered and distributed. Been going on for years, nothing new here. Plus no one ever comes forward to admit ownership of the dead animal. Mmmmm, its steak for dinner tonight.
    Yes there is something new. If cow that is alive is found in/by the road, they will come, take it and butcher it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If one is not used to third world driving and animals sharing the highway its lack of experience not stupidity.
    if you are inexperienced and do not adopt, it IS stupidity. but i was talking about the locals anyhow.

A few have no headlights
    lights are overrated, especially taillights.

who needs them when you are one of the weakest participants on the road and drive in midst of the dark night, preferable at a "brightly" illuminated street like the highway from santiago to pop.

you can easily win a crash with a 2ton SUV @ 60mph, really waste of precious electricity or lets remove them completely

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Stray animals and such are part of the charm of the DR, as are guys passing bottles of rum on motorcycles(I have seen this)while driving.

It has been this way for generations, and has worked.

14. Dislikes jrhartley disliked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast