Re Stray Animals On The Highway

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

Last Sunday afternoon a resident of Montellano crashed after a frontal collision with two cows that unexpectedly crossed the road between Cabarete and Sos?a.

The motorcyclist died during transport in the ambulance to the public clinic in Montellano. This is the umpteenth time that a road user was brought in danger by stray cattle on the open road. The commander of the fire brigade Luis Alberto Salazar in Sos?a subsequently announced that enough is enough. The stray cows and horses, with no clear owner, will be captured and then slaughtered. The meat will go to orphanages and the like and be distributed to poor families.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stray animals are a clear and present danger. I hope those words are indeed turned into actions.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We see this all the time on tour. Very common.

One needs to have their head on a swivel in the rural areas because of the animals. I hit a goat (they act like small deer) two years ago near Polo Magnetico, crashed, and cracked my scapula and a couple of ribs.

ALWAYS scrubb off speed in the presence of animals on the side of the road. And let me guess: no helmets were worn...

Very sad and avoidable.

It's one of the hazards we discuss in our eBook, Two Wheels in Paradise: the Essential Guide to Riding Motorcycles in the Dominican Republic.

PM me with an email address if you want a free copy. Choose: .pdf, .doc, .mobi or .epub formats.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Cows hit are immediately butchered and distributed. Been going on for years, nothing new here. Plus no one ever comes forward to admit ownership of the dead animal. Mmmmm, its steak for dinner tonight.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If one is not used to third world driving and animals sharing the highway its lack of experience not stupidity. Some newbies even drive at night until they get killed, have a near fatal miss or learn. Driving in the DR is a steep learning curve. Want to live on the edge then get a motorcycle and drive at night. Many of the other drivers are drunk. At night on the weekends most are drunk. A few have no headlights. The whole DR driving expereince is way past stupid.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
A dozen years ago for a time before moving to POP from Luperon I drove every weekday night at 11 PM on a scooter from Imbert to Luperon after arriving from POP via public transport. Can't recall how many cows were on the road and how many horses taking care of making the next generation ;). Somehow they loved to do it on the road lol.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Cows hit are immediately butchered and distributed. Been going on for years, nothing new here. Plus no one ever comes forward to admit ownership of the dead animal. Mmmmm, its steak for dinner tonight.

Yes there is something new. If cow that is alive is found in/by the road, they will come, take it and butcher it.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
If one is not used to third world driving and animals sharing the highway its lack of experience not stupidity.

if you are inexperienced and do not adopt, it IS stupidity. but i was talking about the locals anyhow.

A few have no headlights

lights are overrated, especially taillights.

who needs them when you are one of the weakest participants on the road and drive in midst of the dark night, preferable at a "brightly" illuminated street like the highway from santiago to pop.

you can easily win a crash with a 2ton SUV @ 60mph, really waste of precious electricity or lets remove them completely :dead:

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
Stray animals and such are part of the charm of the DR, as are guys passing bottles of rum on motorcycles(I have seen this)while driving.

It has been this way for generations, and has worked.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Stray animals and such are part of the charm of the DR, as are guys passing bottles of rum on motorcycles(I have seen this)while driving.

It has been this way for generations, and has worked.

It works well in getting people killed/injured as well. Hence the potential new approach.

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
It works well in getting people killed/injured as well. Hence the potential new approach.

It is us that need to adapt to their culture, in a country that has welcomed both tourists and expats even more so than Costa Rica for almost a century.

I'd suggest improving your driving skills as opposed to creating new laws.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
So are cows that constantly wonder onto your property fair "game" for steaks?

Sunbiz1

Jul 29, 2013
So are cows that constantly wonder onto your property fair "game" for steaks?

Yes, but if someone claims it and takes you to court you would be simply ordered to reimburse the owner fair market value.

That's why the system has worked in the DR, and kept crime rates pretty much in check for decades.

Please, don't try and change a country in which we are all visitors. My sweat and blood(literally)were put into this country, and even I don't feel I have the right to ask Dominicans to make concessions on their way of life to accommodate foreigners.

May 5, 2007
Yes, but if someone claims it and takes you to court you would be simply ordered to reimburse the owner fair market value.

That's why the system has worked in the DR, and kept crime rates pretty much in check for decades.

Please, don't try and change a country in which we are all visitors. My sweat and blood(literally)were put into this country, and even I don't feel I have the right to ask Dominicans to make concessions on their way of life to accommodate foreigners.

I kinda thought the Commander of the Fire Brigade that made the announcement might just be Dominican?

You say it has worked well for decades, have you considered the proliferation of automobiles and motors in those same decades? You should also consider that roads have often intruded into traditional farmland and made automobile/animal collisions more common and thus a needed solution is sought

What worked decades ago may not necessarily work well today

BTW, can you elaborate on this comment? That's why the system has worked in the DR, and kept crime rates pretty much in check for decades. Sunbiz1

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is us that need to adapt to their culture, in a country that has welcomed both tourists and expats even more so than Costa Rica for almost a century.

I'd suggest improving your driving skills as opposed to creating new laws.

I suggest you read the original post. It is the Dominican authorities who are taking action because people are getting killed. My driving skills are quite good, your brain dead responses are questionable.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
A dozen years ago for a time before moving to POP from Luperon I drove every weekday night at 11 PM on a scooter from Imbert to Luperon after arriving from POP via public transport. Can't recall how many cows were on the road and how many horses taking care of making the next generation ;). Somehow they loved to do it on the road lol.

That is so true......La caratera from Higuey to PUJ was always a dangerous venture. The cows would install themselves
on the road apparently to absorb some of the leftover heat from the asphalt....?? lol, must have been mostly in January when it would get quite cool at night. :hurt:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
The cows, horses, goats have been part of the D.R. for a long time. This is how it has worked for... a long time.

Just cause the new attitude that FAST CARS AND MOTOS mean that you can drive fast has not changed the generations of animal management. It just means that you have a lot more idiots.

Just cause you are here on vacation and rent a car or bike and don't care about the culture is your own fault. Know let's add a few beers? Means that we have a lot more idiots!

So it is now the poor farmer that has lost most of his grazing land and water to developments and has to move his animals around or they get loose cause he can not afford fencing and it's all his fault.

Take a look at why a major milk, cheese and butter company has cut back over the years. Almost nothing. No cows left in the area.