Siesta

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Curious to know if expats participate in the predominantly Spanish siesta tradition, i.e., taking breaks/naps after the lunch hour? Spent some time in Key West once. Everything shuts down for 2 hours after lunch.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tio Tambo has been known to grab a little afternoon delight on occasion after a nice lunch.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I cannot sleep during the day time. Never happen for me.

Someone said something?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SOxwffK0xUc?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Are you kidding?! Even the Super Mercado Lindo and banks in Las Terranas close for siesta! I think they believe it's uncivilized not to.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Because of the deficient transportation system most employed Dominicans that I know use the time for paying bills or shopping.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Secret is not to sleep too long. A half hour to forty five minutes. Its so civilized. After a good lunch and a what have you.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I could never understand stores that sell lunch food closing down for lunch.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I could never understand stores that sell lunch food closing down for lunch.

I can't understand closing down for lunch for any reason. That is when people have a period of time when they can go out and purchase things. But I guess it works in some cultures. Adapt or else.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I played in a three piece band with a guy who slept 4 hours a day. Imagine having 20 hours a day to do what you want. He had two jobs, full time. And he played guitar in my band. I need 7 or 8 hours.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first of all i do not understand this idiocy being called lunch. i come from the country of breakfast before work (7-9am), dinner after work (4-5pm) and supper before bed (10-11pm). i find midday meal entirely stupid. i only go with it because miesposo seems incapable of letting it go.

second i have been blessed and i can sleep any number of hours in a day. occasionally i take a nap after breakfast (about 2 hours) and then another one after lunch (again 2 hours). i have 3 cats. just watching them nap all day long makes me sleepy...

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Eating at those hours ( assuming you go to bed aroundt midnight ) is not good for your health, its actually terrible.

Too many huge gap between hours you eat, and its very bad to eat big meal before sleeping!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i couldn't care less, honey. in DR i submit myself somewhat to dominican timing. i have breakfast at 9, light lunch at 1, dinner at 6. a snack may follow later on. but this very much disagrees with me. and it seems like it doe not work all that well health wise either. all my friends who eat on traditional polish schedule are rather slim. as opposed to folks here, who stuff themselves with carbs all day long. and i much rather work through lunch and go home early than take lunch break.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
i couldn't care less, honey. in DR i submit myself somewhat to dominican timing. i have breakfast at 9, light lunch at 1, dinner at 6. a snack may follow later on. but this very much disagrees with me. and it seems like it doe not work all that well health wise either. all my friends who eat on traditional polish schedule are rather slim. as opposed to folks here, who stuff themselves with carbs all day long. and i much rather work through lunch and go home early than take lunch break.

Pierogi's, golumbkis, kielbasa, and Kishkas?