Not really a newbie....BUT

Mr. D

Aug 1, 2013
I will try to keep this short but as is my MO I probably will not!

A bit of background: I have lived in the DR (Sosua, POP and Imbert) for extended periods of time. I am married to a Dominicana (not from Sosua or any other tourist area). We have been together since feb 2006. We have been married for 6 years and have been living in the US since 2008. We have a 6 year old little girl together and a 12 year old that is my step daughter.

We live in NY, nowhere near NY city (thank God). My girls recieve an excellent education here and are doing very good in school.

OK... yes, I am a tad older than my wife. I turned 61 just today!

Because I want to retire when I am 62 we are contemplating moving to the D.R. in a little more than a year when I turn 62 and can collect SS from the U.S.

We have always liked the Santiago area because of many things which it is not important to bring up. Suffice it to say we like Santiago.

Questions.....
1) Are there any accredited US (english schools) and what is the cost?
2) Is there any "urbanizations" of moderate cost that have some ex-pats?
3) In these areas what would be the cost to rent a 3-4 bedroom house, preferably with a small pool?

I guess that is a good start. Would appreciate the input.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I'm sure some DR1'ers who live in Santiago will be able to tell you based on the amount you are expected to receive from social security every month or maybe an estimate. They can also tell you the amount you need to receive each month in order to live there.

Remember, you also need to get medical insurance for you and your family. Good Luck!

Welcome to DR1!:)

Last edited:

Mr. D

Aug 1, 2013
Thank you.

I will have adequate income but I am very frugal. In 5 - 8 years I want to return to the states and have some money to send my girls off to a good college.

I do understand we will need insurance but it is very reasonable in the D.R. Actually we are paying insurance for my wifes neice in Imbert that we are in the process of adopting. Allow me to go back.... one of the reasons we want to move to the D.R. is so that we can be with "Paloma" (I know-pidgeon) and she can live with us while we go through the extensive process.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I'm glad to hear that you are frugal.:) That means you will manage your money well since you have 2 children and one adoption on the way makes 3, plus you and your wife.

Mr. D

Aug 1, 2013
I thought this was the forum to find the information that I need. Maybe not. Am I posting in the wrong area?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Maybe one of the Mods can move it?

Yes good idea because I hardly ever read the newbie forum and only Robert or wud can move it

Welcome to DR1 Mr D. It's best to ask your question in the link given by caribmike. Good luck

great I see you did that :)

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

A bit of background: I have lived in the DR (Sosua, POP and Imbert) for extended periods of time. I am married to a Dominicana (not from Sosua or any other tourist area). We have been together since feb 2006. We have been married for 6 years and have been living in the US since 2008. We have a 6 year old little girl together and a 12 year old that is my step daughter.

We live in NY, nowhere near NY city (thank God). My girls recieve an excellent education here and are doing very good in school.

Because I want to retire when I am 62 we are contemplating moving to the D.R. in a little more than a year when I turn 62 and can collect SS from the U.S.

We have always liked the Santiago area because of many things which it is not important to bring up. Suffice it to say we like Santiago.

Questions.....
3) In these areas what would be the cost to rent a 3-4 bedroom house, preferably with a small pool?

Sorry I can't help with your questions. However, I also am over the forbidden 60 (DR1 - Legal), and was considering adopting my wife's niece and nephew, so I'd like to here how you make out. We've already heard one instance of an exception to the adoption rules being made though (http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/131240-adoption-where-begin.html).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Also double check on the maximum age at which you can enter a DR medical insurance plan.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Paloma" is a beautiful name, and "Dove" would be a BETTER translation.
I have lived here for 18 years.
I am 66, an American,and have a dominican wife of 17 years, and we have 4 kids.
My stepson is now 21, and our kids are 16, 11, and 9.
He is MY advice.
Stay in New York!
Not for you, or your wife, but for your children.
Everything I can think of, in regards to them, is better THERE!
Education, health care, future opportunities,security, and more!
The ONLY things that might be better here, are, The Dominican extended family experience, and that depends of weather or not your wife's "Extended Family" are "Functional", Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, "DIS" Functional"?????????
The climate is MUCH Better here, unless you hate rain part of the year.
"Don't Come" to live, just come to VISIT!!!!!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012

Questions.....

1) Not sure about accreditation, but a decent bilingual school will run you between 8-15k pesos monthly (200-380$) roughly.
2) There are urbanizations of moderate cost but there is no real ex-pat community in Santiago, the area where I live has about 350 homes and I know of one house that has ex-pats (Canadian).
3) These areas don't really exist but a decent 3-4 bedroom house with a pool will run you anywhere from 25k pesos to unlimited really, depending on the location.

aguacate

Aug 3, 2013
Hi Mr. D,

I live in Santiago, and my daughter teaches at the local University here, PUCCM. There are some English schools, but I believe they are bilingual. I will research them for you. One, I believe, is Santiago Christian School. I'll get back to you, but you should google.

It does seem like the answers I get to my posts are slightly off point. I lived in NY for most of my life. We like things direct!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Hi Mr. D,

I live in Santiago, and my daughter teaches at the local University here, PUCCM. There are some English schools, but I believe they are bilingual. I will research them for you. One, I believe, is Santiago Christian School. I'll get back to you, but you should google.

It does seem like the answers I get to my posts are slightly off point. I lived in NY for most of my life. We like things direct!

Santiago Christian School is 20k pesos a month, about 530$ give or take, out of my range so I didn't even think to mention it.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, New Horizons in Las Jardines is allegedly the only other true bilingual school. Google it and call them for the current prices. I am told that while other schools have English programs but NH teaches all classes after 1st grade in English except DR Social Studies & of course Spanish course work.