anyone else gonna get a chromecast?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
i just ordered two, one for each tv. if you havent heard of it yet here is a link

Google Chromecast Review! - YouTube

what it does is steams things from your computer or smartphone to your tv set and you can still do whatever you want on your device. it kind of acts like a remote.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
I've decided on the Raspberry Pi. I hooked it up to my tv and now have a "smart" tv that has it's own streaming service. Free, but the down side is on weekends the service get bogged down regardless of you connection speed.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I was going to get it to stream american version of netflix on my TV which is a sony bravia smart TV and comes with netflix app. Now I have found a new method to convert my latin american netflix into an american netflix (far more movies). I have simply configured the network of my sony bravia with american DNS settings and I have netflix USA right on my TV.
I will still get the chromecast to stream all contents of chrome browser to TV. Its a useful device if you travel a lot.
AZB

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I was going to get it to stream american version of netflix on my TV which is a sony bravia smart TV and comes with netflix app. Now I have found a new method to convert my latin american netflix into an american netflix (far more movies). I have simply configured the network of my sony bravia with american DNS settings and I have netflix USA right on my TV.
I will still get the chromecast to stream all contents of chrome browser to TV. Its a useful device if you travel a lot.
AZB

AZB are you saying that by just using a DNS server in the US you can now view US only content?

I had no idea it was as simple as changing my DNS. Figured i'd need a VPN connection at least or something like that.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
AZB are you saying that by just using a DNS server in the US you can now view US only content?

I had no idea it was as simple as changing my DNS. Figured i'd need a VPN connection at least or something like that.

its as simple as that. On apple devices, just use the new dns values on the wifi and you are all set. netflix, every once in a while will block the dns so you would have to come up with new ones. There are forums dedicated to that. The dns values are given away to US military who are over seas. on android devices just use "hola" app and you are all set for netflix and pandora hulu. On my smart TV, I have the option of configuring the network manually. I did just that with the dns values and I got my cracle and netflix in american version. The problem with american version netflix is that you can't get subtitles in Spanish or even spanish dubbed audio. So if you are watching it with your dominican friend, he / she will be out of luck. the positive point is that you will get 3 times more contents as latin american netflix.
AZB

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm using that for about a year now, but paying for American dns servers (4 dollars per month) didn't know you could get those for free as well.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Amazon has a ship date of 8/21 on the new batch. For 35 bucks how can u go wrong?

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
its as simple as that. On apple devices, just use the new dns values on the wifi and you are all set. netflix, every once in a while will block the dns so you would have to come up with new ones. There are forums dedicated to that. The dns values are given away to US military who are over seas. on android devices just use "hola" app and you are all set for netflix and pandora hulu. On my smart TV, I have the option of configuring the network manually. I did just that with the dns values and I got my cracle and netflix in american version. The problem with american version netflix is that you can't get subtitles in Spanish or even spanish dubbed audio. So if you are watching it with your dominican friend, he / she will be out of luck. the positive point is that you will get 3 times more contents as latin american netflix.
AZB

Thanks man! Had no idea it was so simple.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I use unblock-us.com. Work well with all major sites. Faster than a VPN and it has a netflix region picker, so if you want latin america, you just push the button. Less than $5.00 per month.

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I'm not sure I see what the big deal is with chromecast except they're headed on the right track. But it's not ready for prime time yet mostly because the TV industry is creating a roadblock.

Meanwhile, TiVo has just released a new model, the Roamio, which everyone is raving about. In addition to being a lot faster and having a bigger drive, it can also stream live to mobile devices. Is it available in the DR?

https://tivo.com/shop/roamio

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I almost ordered the chromecast today, but happily decided to read a review first. Chromecast hard coded the google DNS servers in the device, so, though this will give me US netflix I suppose, it won't let me use the dynamo service of unotelly that lets me switch from US Netflix to Netherlands Netflix if I want to.

I used to watch netflix via the wii console but semi bricked the wii thus can't change DNS servers on the wii anymore and the technicolor router Claro gave me doesn't let me enter far enough in the admin settings to change DNS servers there.

So either buy a new wii, Apple TV or wait a little more and buy a smart tv (hoping I can change DNS servers on tv level...)