You get used to the heat right???!!!

Summer used to be my Favorite Season, now here in the DR I HATE IT!! I can't wait for winter which I used to HATE! Funny how things change.

Seriously I will get used to the heat and humidity right? In a year or so???!!!!

I know lots here seem not to be bothered by the Heat but of those who used to, please say you don't notice it as much :)

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
You'll get used to it...but you have to get out in it! I'm orginially from Houston, Texas and it is humid as Satan ballzsack there. I never did mind the heat until I moved away and then came back to visit. You'll aclimate...give it time and get outside! lol...

Good luck!

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I think the heats getting worse. more and more unbearable. maybe its cause im overweight.....never gotten used to the heat here and im from florida.

Feb 7, 2007
You just "manage" to pass by the summertime (mid June to mid-September). Anything else is bearable and actually fine October through March.

The trick is not to be out and about on the streets between 1 pm and 5 pm, try to do everything you need to do on the streets before noon, and then take the afternoons off in summertime, If you work, work from airconditioned home office during the afternoon,s hit the streets for errands, meetups, etc. during the mornings.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
I'm actually hoping the heat helps me loose a few....you know....give me that optical inch! lol...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Summer used to be my Favorite Season, now here in the DR I HATE IT!! I can't wait for winter which I used to HATE! Funny how things change.

Seriously I will get used to the heat and humidity right? In a year or so???!!!!

I know lots here seem not to be bothered by the Heat but of those who used to, please say you don't notice it as much :)

See if you can get to 2000 posts by Sunday, and I will buy you an AC!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I love the winter, endure the summer. I try to get away for at least a month between June and October - just got back so still two more months to go before it gets bearable again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm with NV: it's hell. i love four seasons and the fact that all weather was temporary. and i loved british weather, waking up not knowing what the day is gonna be like. the summer in DR is getting worse and worse for me. i do not go out for days. i like hurricanes and winters and all those prolonged rainy seasons. heat? hate it.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I never got used to the heat, I was drenched in sweat by 9 am.I Never let my hair
out and couldn't understand how the women let their long hair out and not a drop
of sweat on them. It is hotter than hell during the summer months!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
same with hair thing. my monster in law keeps on bugging me to let my hair down - no way, jose, i'd rather shave my head.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I call my sweat glaze from July to October my summer sheen. Yes you do get used to it but it still gets damn hot on some days and nights.

Bob K

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
My problem is at this point almost anywhere north of here from October through March is COLD. I can't even stand Miami many days in January and February.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I was wondering the same thing Harleysrock.....it is constant...I move 10 feet and I start to sweat. I am not sure if I ever can get used to it but I spent way too many cold winters in Toronto and Montreal. This will always be better in my books! I still cant figure how my Dominican friends can wear long pants...even long sleeve shirts.....and socks, damn!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Like bronzie and dv8, I don't think anyone in DR has ever seen me without my hair in a ponytail - and that's in winter! I don't do well in heat, which is why I'd never be able to live in DR year round. How Dominican women wear their hair long, and both men and women are in suits - I'll never understand. And no one [except some foreigners!!] ever stinks there!!!

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Last year was my first summer here and I thought I would die. Just sitting, reading, and I was melting like a Popsicle. In August, wanted to shave my head but just cut my hair very short instead.

I thought I would be better this year.... Yeah right girl ! Still dreaming of shaving my head and wishing for an Hurricane to last 5 days with high winds and a lot of rain....

Hanging in there hoping I'll feel better in a few months...

BTW I am from Montreal...

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, One way to get around the cost of running an A/C unit is to buy a blower like the Stanley high velocity blower fan 655702, I have used one for years and it does the work of like 3 or 4 normal fans. My housekeeper uses it to auto dry clothes too. I cannot find them here so you will have to bring or have it brought.