Monkey Jungle

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Does anyone know if Monkey Jungle is still open? And if it will be tomorrow? What times? We are planning to take one of our volunteer volunteers there tomorrow but didn't want to drive all that way if it is closed. I tried calling both numbers listed on their website but one is out of service then the other goes to answering machine but then won't let me leave a message. Have tried calling back several times with no luck.

Thanks!

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Oops.. nevermind! I was able to reach them right after this post. They are open 7 days a week from I believe he said 9am until 4pm with last zipline tour going out at 3pm... if anyone else is interested in this info!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
honey, maybe you were calling the wrong number :) i just spoke to money jungle's chuck, they are open at 9am, last ride is at 3pm. phone number is 829 649 4555. it's about 15 minutes drive from the main road so keep that in mind id driving.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Great place to go. The drive is a little hard on your car but worth it. Try to get there before the tourist trucks arrive if possible if you plan on doing the Zip lines. They average 70 people every day. Sorry I don't remember the recommended times that owner, Chuck, told us. So aim for around 9 ???

If your friend has not been to the campo before? There is a little store before you get to Monkey Jungle that we stop at when riding up that way. The road is flat and another road goes to the right. At that corner on the right side is the store and you can get a cup of coffee or beverage. You can look around the place a see some real campo living and the folks there are great.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i took that road in my little capa, at full speed, because we left the house late and it was exactly 3pm when we reached the place. cursed all the way ;) it was a great fun, thou. take your own drinks. they charge 125 pesos for a small bottle of coca cola.

bizmark11

Oct 16, 2013
can you get to monkey jungle on a scooter?? Can you tell me what city it is close to? Thanks

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Yes, you can get to Monkey Jungle on a scooter or just about anything. About half way there the road is a little rocky in places so just take it slow.

East of Sosua on 5, go up El Choco road on the south side of the road between Sosua Ocean Village and the Coastal gas station. They have a large sign on 5 and several going up El Choco. You can cut/paste into Google Earth to find El Choco road: 19?46'23.22"N 70?29'44.72"W

Google Earth has upgraded so you can see Monkey Jungle: 19?42'43.47"N 70?28'19.29"W

The prices of high BUT that is how they support the medical and dental clinics and help pay for needed operations at hospitals. All goes to helping those that are in need.

Have a fun day.

Aug 19, 2004
Great place to go. The drive is a little hard on your car but worth it. Try to get there before the tourist trucks arrive if possible if you plan on doing the Zip lines. They average 70 people every day. Sorry I don't remember the recommended times that owner.

I am suprised this is so popular - do tourists think this is a Dominican wildlife reserve? As far as I am aware there are no wild monkeys in the DR.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I am suprised this is so popular - do tourists think this is a Dominican wildlife reserve? As far as I am aware there are no wild monkeys in the DR.

I don't know if monkeys where ever indigenous to Hispaniola. These were brought in and the habitat that they have created for them is very impressive. The zip lines are of top quality and to U.S. standards. The views are marvelous. The cause does good for the people.

It gets the tourist out into the country and they can see how people live while going up to M.J. and perhaps learning something other then about what is in the cheap tourist shops.

We tow our loaded horse trailer up El Choco road and do some riding. If I can haul a loaded trailer up the road, anyone can get up there. A ride we did last year in the rain so photos not so impressive and didn't take any of the monkey area or the clinic.

843.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

855.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sorry for the large size of the photos but I don't have time to change them now.

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
yeah you can take a scooter...see you tube for a vid of when they were robbed last year I think? the robbers arrived on a scooter

Great place 100% recommend

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
now they also have a gun range open, as i can see from their posters in sosua.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes all three venues are open (monkey habitat, zip lining, gun range) and you can enjoy anyone of them or all of them. Do note that ALL profits generated go to support the onsite FREE medical/dental clinic for the local poor.

A great cause.

Bob K

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Yes all three venues are open (monkey habitat, zip lining, gun range) and you can enjoy anyone of them or all of them. Do note that ALL profits generated go to support the onsite FREE medical/dental clinic for the local poor.

A great cause.

Bob K

Any details on what type or kind of shooting range?
I remember that they had/have a clay pigeon launcher for skeet shooting. Do they provide the shotgun and shells?
Do they have a place to practice with a 9mm pistol?

Thanks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Looks like they have up dated their site and shooting ranges are covered in it.
Monkey Jungle Dominicana | Benefits Projects in Dominican Republic & Haiti

yes, ringo. thanks for the link. they only mention this:
7 station target range and offensive/defensive course. MJ has two Certified Firearms instructors and teaches beginners to advanced shooters with 12 gauge Mossberg shotguns and Bersa 9mm semiautomatic pistols.
no prices updated as of yet.

i only noticed that they added shooting range when i was driving past sosua yesterday. when i went there few months ago there was no info on gun range yet.
hopefully someone will go and review the place.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
yes, ringo. thanks for the link. they only mention this:
7 station target range and offensive/defensive course. MJ has two Certified Firearms instructors and teaches beginners to advanced shooters with 12 gauge Mossberg shotguns and Bersa 9mm semiautomatic pistols.
no prices updated as of yet.

i only noticed that they added shooting range when i was driving past sosua yesterday. when i went there few months ago there was no info on gun range yet.
hopefully someone will go and review the place.

The shooting range is with reservation only. I would guess that the prices would depend on the shooters skill level and what they want to do. I'm thinking that I could use a little practice with my own gun and my wife could get a basic lesson. Perhaps next month. :)

Aug 19, 2004

A great cause.

Bob K

A great cause but why can't they use some indigenous animal or genuine aspect of the country instead. The pictures suggest monkeys are all part of the country (which they aren't), mixed with pitures of cute little children. - IMO doesn't quite add up what ever the good cause may be. Just my opnion.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
A great cause but why can't they use some indigenous animal or genuine aspect of the country instead.

look around. what local animals do you see? apart from roaches and rats, that is? DR has no endemic animals. nearly all have been hunted down and eaten. few of the surviving species are protected and rare. you could, possibly, have a cacata sanctuary but tell me, how many tourists would like to cuddle with a spider?

on the other hand, helping the poor and unprivileged seems like a decent cause to me. and hell, don't poor make a "genuine aspect of the country"? damn. maybe write a petition to the owners to rename the place "dominican jungle" and have a small park where tourist can feed dominican orphans with pieces of fruits and candy. so cute!