Have to renew NYS driver's license

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Hey guys,

I have to renew my NYS driver's license but they are asking for an eye exam. Hope this isn't a stupid question, but does anyone have any clue whether DMV would accept an eye exam from a DR doctor?

To add to this thread...I went down to Obra Publica to see about getting a DR driver's license or the possibility of "changing" my NYS driver's license for a DR one. I ask the lady that works there and she says that they won't honor a license from the States. I felt like laughing in her face. These people have some nerve. "Que aqueroso!" LOL.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Nevermind, just saw this on their site...

You cannot renew if your form MV-619 or form MV-619R (Vision Test Report) was completed by an eye-care professional from outside the United States.

Feb 7, 2007
I ask the lady that works there and she says that they won't honor a license from the States. I felt like laughing in her face. These people have some nerve. "Que aqueroso!" LOL.

Like you think the DR government has obligation to accept US license, because you think US license is superior? Well I have some news for you. They will accept European licenses, but will not US or Canadian! Simply because the US/Canadian federal government cannot authenticate the state/province-issued license with a required Apostille, while a European country can!

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Like you think the DR government has obligation to accept US license, because you think US license is superior? Well I have some news for you. They will accept European licenses, but will not US or Canadian! Simply because the US/Canadian federal government cannot authenticate the state/province-issued license with a required Apostille, while a European country can!
Nah! I think it has more to do with them getting less money. They probably noticed how many people from the US were "trading" their licenses for DR ones and they wouldn't have to pay "a fee" to anyone that works at Obras Publicas.

May 29, 2006
Geez, when I went to renew last year here in NY, the eye exam was just read the line on a chart. It's not like it's a real exam.

Winkeladvocat

Oct 14, 2012
Hey guys,

To add to this thread...I went down to Obra Publica to see about getting a DR driver's license or the possibility of "changing" my NYS driver's license for a DR one. I ask the lady that works there and she says that they won't honor a license from the States. I felt like laughing in her face. These people have some nerve. "Que aqueroso!" LOL.

Your request to trade a dominican license for your worthless US license shows a remarkable lack of understanding of how things work here and there is no need for such a display of disrespect.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
US and Canadian licences can be exchanged quite easily -but you must surrender the one you are leaving.

RD licences are valid in both US and Canada......

I know people who return to their native country specifically to renew licences and passports.
That's what I would do....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Contrary to some above statements, you cannot exchange your US license for a DR license because the US consulate does not validate your US license, which is what would be needed to allow you to trade it for a DR license. Any comments about "useless" licenses or "the DR wants more fees" do not apply to this situation. It is the US who is not doing what is necessary for its citizens.

Having to renew a NY license in person in NY is no surprise regarding the eye test requirement.

I can easily renew my US passport in the DR ( just did that recently and it was simple), but I lost the ability to renew my California drivers license years ago. Getting a DR license after you are a resident of the DR and have a cedula is quite easy.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy - to clarify, my comments are in reference to NoAmerican transfers/exchanges..... changing a Cdn licence to US and vice versa.

You are correct about RD transactions.

My daughter just renewed a PA DL - an expired one.... but did it in person .
Submit all the info on-line and then show up for the photo, etc

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I had to go back to Qu?bec last summer to renew my driver's license AND Health insurance card BECAUSE, it was the year of the "PICTURE". Every 4 years, they take your picture to put on the license and insurance card. Cannot do it otherwise.

So OP, suck it up and go, or don't renew it.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Its no different than if you move from 1 state to another. You normally have 90 days to change your license.
I had to take a test when I moved from Kansas to Indiana, then from Indiana to Florida, and again when I move from Florida back to Indiana. Most if not all of the States won't accept another States license without a test. So whats the big deal with the DR requiring a test.