breastfeeding in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
an article in diario libre sheds some light on the subject:
Rep?blica Dominicana, a la cola de Latinoam?rica en lactancia materna - DiarioLibre.com

only 8% of children are fed with breast milk in their first 6 months of life. afterwards it's down to 2.1%.
i knew it was bad but this is shocking. i understand that some mothers do not have milk. i understand that some children have allergies and cannot be breastfed. but i am at complete and total loss here. wtf is wrong? breast milk is 100% free. no charge. zero, nada, zilch. you'd think all mothers would jump at the idea seeing the prices of the formula.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
an article in diario libre sheds some light on the subject:
Rep?blica Dominicana, a la cola de Latinoam?rica en lactancia materna - DiarioLibre.com

only 8% of children are fed with breast milk in their first 6 months of life. afterwards it's down to 2.1%.
i knew it was bad but this is shocking. i understand that some mothers do not have milk. i understand that some children have allergies and cannot be breastfed. but i am at complete and total loss here. wtf is wrong? breast milk is 100% free. no charge. zero, nada, zilch. you'd think all mothers would jump at the idea seeing the prices of the formula.

Laziness.. I bet it's more prevalent in the uneducated because my wife breastfed both of ours and most of her friends do the same.. Among the educated breastmilk is WELL known to be much healthier than the powdered crap sold on the market. The uneducated are lazy and powdered milk is a quick fix and they have been indoctrinated the believe it is actually just as healthy sometimes. I'm proud to say I was breastfed and only get a cold once every few years.. hurray breastmilk!

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Laziness.. I bet it's more prevalent in the uneducated because my wife breastfed both of ours and most of her friends do the same.. Among the educated breastmilk is WELL known to be much healthier than the powdered crap sold on the market. The uneducated are lazy and powdered milk is a quick fix and they have been indoctrinated the believe it is actually just as healthy sometimes. I'm proud to say I was breastfed and only get a cold once every few years.. hurray breastmilk!

Oh ... one other thing, women after child bearing like to start stuff like cyclofemina the first month so they don't get pregnant right after having the child.. these birth control methods affect slow breastmilk production, oftentimes to a halt.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was breastfed too. my mother has an impressive set of cans (well, HAD would be more truthful) so not only she fed both me and my brother but also when i was in a hospital following my birth (pneumonia) she fed other children too. i think we were on breast milk until i was 2 or so but i was given normal food since 6 months of age when i was enthusiastically fed meatballs and potatoes (mushy) by a cousin ;)

i think laziness does not explain this. lazy is to whip a tit out for feeding. it ain't lazy to go to the pharmacy, buy that damn milk, prepare it and feed. that's actually lots of effort.

my SIL is prego now and she wants to breastfeed. so much that she asked us to get her electric titty pump. and there i was thinking a titty pump was something used on cows...

Chennifer

Oct 18, 2008
Moves to the D.R this summer
I've read comments on the forum that some think the formula is better for them (?!) and that se want to appear to have more money and so they buy them the formula. I have no idea though. I breastfed until my son was 9-10 months then I was very sick and didn't produce any more milk. I have some Swedish relatives who don't breastfeeding because they had to work, and many just don't want to. I don't understand why not either. All my argentine relatives breastfeed and so does my husband's Dominican family until the kids are 6 months, then they say they should have milk?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
We've had this discussion in the past and it's been said that Dominican women see breast feeding as something done by the poor (duh, great idea) or that breast feeding will cause sagging later in life. :rolleyes:

A Canadian friend of mine was asked why she was breast feeding her baby since she was rich. :rolleyes:

I breast fed one of my children till he was 2 years old. :eek: Hey who wants to warm up bottles in the middle of the night?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
The US compensates for this phenomenon with WIC (Women, Infant & Childrens Nutrition Program), a program that subsidizes needy families until the child is 5 years old. WIC checks can be exchanged for formula, cereal, juice, etc. This renders breast feeding in households that would be most inclined to do so due to economy a moot issue. Middle class lethargy completes the stat sheet.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
my SIL is prego now and she wants to breastfeed. so much that she asked us to get her electric titty pump. and there i was thinking a titty pump was something used on cows...

I had an Avent manual pump, and used it at home and work quite successflly. Just a suggestion to try a manual first, as those electrics are expensive, but sometimes necessary.

Link shows examples.

[video]http://www.usa.philips.com/c/catalog/catalog.jsp?categoryid=TOPIC_ABOUT_PHILIPS_AVENT_U S_CONSUMER&language=en&country=US&catalogType=CONSUMER&_requestid=77604[/video]

Congratulations on being an "auntie".

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Compare my experience with that of one of my sisters-in-law. We both gave birth in the same year. She in the DR, me in Europe. She was given an Avent baby bottle set as one of the gifts in her baby shower. At the SD clinic, there was no encouragement or guidance about breastfeeding whatsoever. It was just taken for granted that she would bottle feed.
Many of the country's poorest women don't breastfeed. They can't afford milk so they give them infusions, refrescos or sugar water. Baby milk companies still give out freebies in state hospitals - although there is supposedly a law against this.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Easy call", Dominican women want "Nice Tits", and don't breast feed because they care more about the "Look" of their "Tits", than the health of their children!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I was waiting outside on the patio while my wife visited an old teacher that was on her deathbed. The housecleaner sat out there with me and breastfed her baby that was probably a year plus. She had a nice tit, I assume the other one was as wel. I assume she was poor if she was the housekeeper. I believe there are also good reasons, for the woman's health to breastfeed. Helps the body return to normal, especially down below.

May 29, 2006
There are several factors, but also keep in mind that a breast-feeding mother uses about a third of her caloric intake into milk production. So if she is normally on a 2400 calorie a day diet, she would need a 3600 calorie a day diet to breast feed. Still, in subsistence cultures, it's not unusual for women to breastfeed until the age of two or three in part because it reduces the chance of another pregnancy.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I was waiting outside on the patio while my wife visited an old teacher that was on her deathbed. The housecleaner sat out there with me and breastfed her baby that was probably a year plus. She had a nice tit, I assume the other one was as wel. I assume she was poor if she was the housekeeper. I believe there are also good reasons, for the woman's health to breastfeed. Helps the body return to normal, especially down below.

It's kinda creepy to be checking out a breastfeeding mama's tit man..

Dec 26, 2011

Saunders has also posted about checking out the asses of the mothers dropping off their kids at his wife's school. And commented about going shopping for panties with his niece. You do the math.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Hard to miss when done right in front of you without a blanket and no modesty. Seems to me you're the one with the problem if you think it's creepy.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Saunders has also posted about checking out the asses of the mothers dropping off their kids at his wife's school. And commented about going shopping for panties with his niece. You do the math.

I understand you prefer men's asses but is there something wrong with noticing the attributes of adult women. As far as my nieces, it's not like they were modeling them for me. Why would YOU remember something like that? More of your passive aggressive behavior. Are you this much of an asshole in real life.
Explain your comment " you do the math".

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
There are several factors, but also keep in mind that a breast-feeding mother uses about a third of her caloric intake into milk production. So if she is normally on a 2400 calorie a day diet, she would need a 3600 calorie a day diet to breast feed. Still, in subsistence cultures, it's not unusual for women to breastfeed until the age of two or three in part because it reduces the chance of another pregnancy.

bear in mind that women managed to have children in times of war, famine and worse, for centuries. they still do. lack of nourishment is not a viable explanation. ccccc is right, this is more a question of vanity and dontgiveaf**kness than anything else but still, the number is truly shocking...

Since I live in a Barrio i think, not sure what a barrio is but i think it's behind where i live, i know for a fact the women there are told Formula is better for the kid by the DR's. My wife has tried to tell our godson's mom that BF is way better and have seen her a few times doing it. I don't in the world understand why people with NO money spend money on Formula, this is one of the weirdest things i have seen here! When you can give free food to your kid??! WEIRD!!!

Also I have noticed they don't like to hold their kids which I like since we don't have kids and babies are handed to us left right and center!!! They say it is too hot, so maybe another reason why the women in my area without A/c don't BF???!!!

STRANGER THAN STRANGE THOUGH!!!