How much research did you do?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
How much research did you do?

For all those that have live here in the last 3-4 years, how much research did you do before you made your move?

I ask this because when I read many of the most they are soo negative that it makes me think people came here with some high expectations and are angry or in shock at what life is like here.

I asked a lot of questions before I came. I visited several times also. You can research forever but nothing is actually like living here. I read and heard a lot about the DR. I was told many years before I thought about moving here, that DR is the ghetto of the Caribbean. Having visited and seeing some of the ghetto behavior I still new DR was more than that. Maybe because having lived in a poor area myself and knowing that my "hood" was more than the stupid things that some times go on I don't upset with things that I see here.

Also how did you pick your hood/barrio when you moved here? Was your decision base on price, location? Did you check out the area at night? I know I did same as I did back in the US?

Please can only the people with 3-4 years living here respond. I understand people that have lived here longer will give a different perspective because they have seen things change. I have different question for you guys ina different thread.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
You may be right about some of that. I did a lot of research before I picked up and moved here. I have always been very careful about planning anything important. I visited the country several times as well as several other countries.

My first neighborhood was in Santo Domingo Este. I wanted to be close enough to the airport, but not in the middle of the big city and yet I still wanted to throw myself into the middle of a true Dominican neighborhood and get that whole experience. I'm glad I did.

I'm still quite happy here and can get just about anything I want the way I want it. I don't encounter as many problems as some say they do and when I do I can often get it resolved a lot easier than many say. I attribute most of that to doing the research and asking questions before I go out and do something. I don't expect anything here to be like it was for me back in the U.S. so for me anything I need to do is a learning or re-learning experience the first time I do it. But I came here expecting that and so far it has gotten me mostly good results.

I will also suggest that you probably read a lot of negativity on here because the folks who are happy here are out and about amongst their Dominican neighbors and friends doing things. The ones who have the time to post on here all day are the ones who are staying in and avoiding contact with their Dominican neighbors. So if you are positive you are out being positive and not on here to write about it.

I have posted a lot more today than you will normally see me post for a Saturday because I'm working a little extra project for one of my customers. If it wasn't for that I'd be out and about and not on the computer logged into DR1 right now.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Honestly, I did not do a lot a research on the country. I was here a couple of times for vacation and I knew that I wanted to live here. So in November 2011 I arrived at the POP airport with 4 luggages and my 2 himalayan cat for a trial period of 3 months. After the 3 month period, I went back to Qu?bec and got rid of everything I had and came back for good.

In the summer before my arrival, I researched a place to live, and I found Suncamp in Munoz where I lived for 16 months. Now I'm living in POP since last February but I miss the campo. But at the same time I like the city because everything is around my place. Let's say I'm a bit confused on that.

I never had a hard time to adjust because I accepted all the good and the bad as it is. Knowing there is nothing I can do to change it, I was the one that had to adjust. I'm not so bad. Many things bug me but what can I do ? It's their country and their way of life.

I am happy here as I left everything in Qu?bec so I have nothing to return to. I make my life here the best as I can and I can't imagine myself going back to Qu?bec and re-enter "society". I would'nt fit in, that I'm sure !

So after nearly 2 years, I still love it. Bad and good combined !

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I will also suggest that you probably read a lot of negativity on here because the folks who are happy here are out and about amongst their Dominican neighbors and friends doing things. The ones who have the time to post on here all day are the ones who are staying in and avoiding contact with their Dominican neighbors. So if you are positive you are out being positive and not on here to write about it.

Interesting observation cjp2010. I also notice that that of behavior back in the US? I would stop some of my neighbors and ask, "Did you read about blah, blah, blah on the neighborhood blog or list serve?" Most of the replies were no, didn't know there was a blog, I'm out living life , or too much negative posts to get involved.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
I'm in the middle of doing a lot of research now. This site and it's contributors are a huge asset. I can get tons of info online about what life in DR is like...but it's something quite different to talk to the folks here and get an idea of what others have gone through. I've been there twice already, but I think there is a finite amount of research you can do before you just have to take the plunge. I'm plunging very soon.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
delete post. OP only wants those with 3 to 4 years
living in the DR.[just reread the post)

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I checked the surf report online for Cabarete. Ended up moving, marrying and buying a house. Worked out fine.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have been here nearly three years and so far I am happy to be here, despite probably not doing as much research as I should have done. I bought a small apartment block in Cabarete and its location dictates where I live.

I didn't check the area at night and my only regret about that is that I didn't realize that I and my clients would be woken up several times each night by the neighbour's barking dog and the general doggy dawn chorus at 7 a.m. every day.

Apart from that, no regrets and I don't share much of the negativity of many of the jaded members of this site. Maybe I'll be like them in a few years - who knows!