British tourist drowns at Sosua Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
What a tragedy! My condolences to her grieving family who I'm sure are in shock.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Is Sosua a dangerous beach, undertow etc? I've been to the beach but never been in the water anywhere here and so wouldn't know what it's like. Drowning reports don't seem that common.

Condolences to the family.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is sad but strange in a way. Sad to say common sense goes out the window when one drinks too much. Feel bad for her family.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Is Sosua a dangerous beach, undertow etc? I've been to the beach but never been in the water anywhere here and so wouldn't know what it's like. Drowning reports don't seem that common.

I have never known of Sosua being a dangerous beach.. Cabarete beaches are an entirely different animal though.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011

I can't see the undertow being a problem because of the reef makes the ocean calm there. I would think being drunk was the reason. I give my respect to the friends and family.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Growing up on the Jersey shore, we would swim drunk all the time. The water here is much stronger than Sosuas main beach. Maybe she wasn't a strong swimmer on top of the alcohol.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006

There are sea urchins on the east end which can make for a bad week or two if you can't get the spines out cleanly. It gets deep quickly on the west end and in the center which can be the undoing of a poor swimmer or perhaps a seriously drunk person.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Just curious... Assuming that you were being sarcastic in your above comment, right? By what criteria did you decide that this was not a reputable looking kid?

You are batting a thousand so far, anything to contribute?

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
No it is a safe beach. (i have never experienced any undertow)

I've been to many beaches. The one in Sosua, unless it's changed, goes from shallow to deep very quickly. I was surprised by the steepness one afternoon and despite aquatic awareness. I can only imagine someone walking through the water's edge experiencing that sudden drop, and not knowing how to swim. Doing it at night and under the influence is real danger. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.