Update on intersection armed robberies in Santo Domingo

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
A few weeks/months ago there was a lot of talk about robberies taking place in Santo Domingo in broad daylight targeting cars waiting at intersections. Has anyone heard whether this is still going on? Is the military still patrolling these intersections?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There are still a lot of MP on the streets of the capital, truely worrying for any tourists visiting wondering why they were not informed they were entering a war zone.
Car jacking/robberies etc. will probably always be an issue in the city, the lights are on red too long and the lighting is crap.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
There are still a lot of MP on the streets of the capital, truely worrying for any tourists visiting wondering why they were not informed they were entering a war zone.
Car jacking/robberies etc. will probably always be an issue in the city, the lights are on red too long and the lighting is crap.

Is the situation really that bad still during the daytime hours with all the MP around?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Yip! More PN and MP than anyone else. Maybe it is a good thing, but if they did this in a tourist area then the tourists would leave. I've been here quite a while and I still find it more worrying than reassuring. Makes me wonder if I ever really knew how bad things were.

There is a lot of violent crime, but it really does feel like driving through a war zone, or at least a significant security concern. Every street and street corner has a couple of little dudes with automatic weapons. And every colmado has a sleeping PN with his feet up on his motorbike. The UK has a different meaning of 'sleeping policeman'.

It is significant enough that I am looking for work elsewhere these days. People don't move to the Caribbean to live around this kind of thing, that is stupid. Not sure where in the country is better right now, seems to be issues all over the place.

Last edited:

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
And does it not make it safer with all the police around? I'm just trying to get from the airport to my hotel and back in a taxi safely during the daytime hours. Haven't had any issues in the past, but it is concerning to read some of the bad stories on this forum.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Your not going to have an issue, they aren't exactly busy, but it will intimidate visitors a little wondering what is going on. Don't worry about it, I'm not sure it is as dangerous as appearance would have you believe.

I did notice many MP, or popo around but just assumed it was normal. I know i did hear of them putting more out on the street.

When i was a tourist I did find it intimidating seeing popo or Security with Shotguns everywhere but preferred it to the machine gun jeeps in Mexico!! Those f%ckers scared me!! I just feel at any moment they could pull the trigger and bam 20 dead!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
the MPs (military and regular police) are seen all over the city of santo domingo, day and night time. I feel far more secured now than before. they are also clearing up johns and hookers from malecon area. I still see hookers doing business on malecon but I have also seen police grabbing men who are with hooker type women in malecon. They are patrolling malecon aggressively. they regular shake down young guys in cars and motorcycles. The white tourists are finding it hard to spend time at melecon with local women. The shake down is seen everyday.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
It was announced a few days ago that violent crimes are down by over 40% in Santo Domingo.

If I have my choice between extra military/police on the streets or getting robbed, I'll take the former. I don't see a lot of
them "heavily armed" however. Just uniforms on street corners.
dude I see them with machine guns, automatic rifles all over the city center. Nunez de casares has MP's with automatic military rifles. I was chased and stopped by 2 police men on motorcycle. I didn't stop and kept going. to my surprise, they chased me down for more than 1 KM. then when I finally stopped they confronted me with anger. I was able to talk myself out of the situation. I can see how others maybe intimidated. they thought I was a dominican and wanted a bribe.
AZB

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
A few weeks/months ago there was a lot of talk about robberies taking place in Santo Domingo in broad daylight targeting cars waiting at intersections. Has anyone heard whether this is still going on? Is the military still patrolling these intersections?

These types of robberies only occur in really bad seedy parts of town that no tourist should have any business in. With that said, windows always up, doors locked. You're in a poor country and if you give someone the oppurtunity to make you a victim, they will.

In 16+ yrs here ive heard of maybe one or two car jackings.... its pretty rare.