Newbie to settle in Puerto Plata

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
Saludos,

I arrived in the Dominican Republic this past Wednesday and I am so excited to be here. I am currently staying in Sosua but I will be teaching in Puerto Plata in less than two weeks. Can anyone give me websites or contact info regarding apartments/studios, looking to move this upcoming week. Nothing really fancy, I would like to have a washer and dryer and if possible get a little dog for companionship. Thanks in advance everyone!!

Lucille

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
zlj1:
Welcome to DR1 and to the Dominican Republic....
I never use a "dryer" here ...The sun does the job .....
Good luck finding your place and your new friend.
Lucille

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
Thanks you guys! Dryer, now that I think about it that was very silly of me. I guess I was thinking of where I could dry my clothes while living in an apartment since I wouldn't have a backyard to use a clothing line. Hey, the balcony will work!! Thank you for the recommendation Derfish.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
No balconies at Pueblito and you can find much cheaper in the city of POP itself with more services included.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I would love a dryer here! Not silly! I don't think most have one though? I might get one next year.... I hate hanging stuff outside to dry, takes forever (I have no time for dat since I do nothing all day) then it rains hardcore and take 2 more days to dry!

I feel your pain..:hurt:

Plus, I am hopelessly addicted to the softness that the dryer can give. ;)

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If you ABSOLUTELY MUST have a clothes dryer here, just be SURE to buy a "Gas" dryer that will run on propane!
An electric dryer will cost Sooooooooooooooooooooo much to run, that you will use it as a "Planter"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Fabric Softener helps with the "Softness"!
Just make sure not to use it on men's under ware!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I would love a dryer here! Not silly! I don't think most have one though? I might get one next year.... I hate hanging stuff outside to dry, takes forever (I have no time for dat since I do nothing all day) then it rains hardcore and take 2 more days to dry!

HA! what did i told ya a while ago? ;) dryer is a blessing, i agree. but when the weather is nice it is better to dry clothing outside.

zlj1

Aug 1, 2013
"I have no time for dat since I do nothing all day" -Harleysrock:laugh:
I love this!! I most definitely have to use this when I visit the States! Even though I don't plan on often.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Welcome to the D.R. and dr1.....not sure if you will find yourself any help on here finding a home....but hey at least you now have the pros and cons of owning a dryer.
We simply drove around our chosen area and looked for "TO LET" signs....and to get a flavor of what may be out their we looked at possible lets on the internet...we even spoke to security guys at complexes and got help from them....in total took us 48hours to find a lovely new home and we were allowed the dogs.
On the subject of dogs....please consider a stray....puppy or otherwise....some kind and caring girls run RESCATAME....you will find them on facebook and when you are settled I am sure they would love to offer you the perfect pet.
Keep posting as and when you need help/advice.....but remember the 80/20 rule lol

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
jlz1
We retired guys here like to say,
"We Have Nothing To do, And All Day to DO IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gotta go, time to "Not do It"!!!!
"Siesta" sounds good.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC