El Robo

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
I've often read that a good strategy for protecting yourself against robbery is to carry a fake wallet. Specifically, all those credit card offers that put a fake but real looking card in the advert; place those and place a few real bills in the fake wallet. Essentially, if you're robbed, the idea being that you give over the fake instead of your real wallet and you're not out much money. Although a bit risky, it seems like sound strategy. However, I'm wondering if folks who live in DR would employ this tactic? I image that this would work best if you were only a tourist, but could have negative consequences if you lived there. The a$$holes who robbed you could potentially remember you and make you a further target. Agreed?

Just wanted to know what the locals thought.

Thanks!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
If you are getting robbed, most likely they will go through all your pockets and empty them of anything of value, so I wouldn't bother with a fake wallet. An guy I know was robbed in SD last year: he was approached by a gang of 8 or so dudes who very carefully lifted him up in the air, emptied all his pockets: phone, wallet etc, and as carefully put him back on the ground. Just don't carry more than you care to lose.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for a woman it makes zero sense, thieves will take a whole bag.

May 12, 2005
I say give the baboon everything he wants................

BQ7EnUACIAEoc9P.jpg:large

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
If you are getting robbed, most likely they will go through all your pockets and empty them of anything of value, so I wouldn't bother with a fake wallet. An guy I know was robbed in SD last year: he was approached by a gang of 8 or so dudes who very carefully lifted him up in the air, emptied all his pockets: phone, wallet etc, and as carefully put him back on the ground. Just don't carry more than you care to lose.

My cu?ada was robbed again in el millon a few days ago. She was walking to el super el Nacional and these guys pull up to her and her 2 friends on a motor and demand their phones and wallets. They didnt pull a gun but she said they had one in their pocket. Her 2 friends handed everything over, purses, an iphone, and another phone. Cu?ada didnt pull her new 4S out and got off easy. Her friends got turned inside out and she didnt get anything taken.

They most likely wont go through your pockets since they usually want to keep a distance. If in a group, wait to see what everyone else hands over and usually that'll be enough. The fake wallet isnt a bad idea but not sure if its really worth it for the 1 in a million shot of getting mugged, unless youre my cu?ada of course... She gets mugged at least twice a year, its amazing... But she's young, skinny, and doesnt pay attention to whats happening around her.

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Morning, Senor Mofongo has the right idea. No wallet have a binder clip with money you need but can afford to lose. Buy a leather money belt that has a zipper on the inside and if you need more go into a bathroom stall. Never resist and most of all never get in a car or go anywhere. Fall down and lay on the ground and cry or run like the wind.