Another robery in La Mulata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Monday, at about 8-30 PM Russian friends of mine - Alex and his wife Tatiana were attacked in their house by two dominicans. Alex was hit with "something heavy" in head. Arm was cut by machete. A few things were stolen - laptop, cell phones. Alex is recovering now.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Exactly where is La Mulata?

A burgulary is one thing. A home invasion is way over the top...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
wow, bred, sad news. and how is tatiana? was she home? was she hurt? do they have any security: alarm, dogs, bars in windows?
fill us in a bit, this may be valuable info for someone thinking about security of their own property...

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
See center of map.
International School is on the road up the hill.
Residential areas La Mulata I, II, etc are at various points up the hill.

33js4k3.jpg

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Hmm...a friend of mine told me about two guys trying to rob his house in El Batey Tuesday morning at around 2 AM. Might have been the same guys. He lives on the end of El Batey close to La Mulata. He said two Dominicans were outside behind his wall throwing rocks up on his roof probably to see if anyone was home. When he turned the lights on and went outside with his pistol they ran off.

Since it was 2 AM that seems like plenty of time for them to have finished up from La Mulata and clean up before trying to hit his place. After they ran off he called the police and gave them the best description he could but that probably isn't going to amount to much.

Seems like theft is picking up a lot in Sosua now as I guess folks are getting more desperate. Seems much better for me living out here in La Union. Thieves don't really target this neighborhood. I do worry sometimes about the few locals that I don't talk with regularly but so far so good.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Most assuredly the international Travel Agent coconut telegraph will know about this current attack in short order.

Does anyone really wonder why traditional tourism in that area is suffering?

It's ain't about fresh paint and new parks...

Seems like theft is picking up a lot in Sosua now as I guess folks are getting more desperate. Seems much better for me living out here in La Union. Thieves don't really target this neighborhood. I do worry sometimes about the few locals that I don't talk with regularly but so far so good.

You can dream as much as you like, i have lived in La Union before (yes longer than a year). I know perfectly well what kind of people that lives out there- The same ones that goes to Sosua to rob, or sell their arse to Gringos.

Sorry for pizzing on your parade.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
La Mulata, this place is getting pretty difficult to defend these days, looks like the home owners there are stuck there.

buttons66

Oct 3, 2006
At the end of the day, crime is every where, we only here about the crime in gringo areas, just go through the Noticias on here.......... Regionales, and we think we have it bad.

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
You can dream as much as you like, i have lived in La Union before (yes longer than a year). I know perfectly well what kind of people that lives out there- The same ones that goes to Sosua to rob, or sell their arse to Gringos.

Sorry for pizzing on your parade.

You are absolutely right but that is the point. The ones living out here are going to La Mulata and El Batey to rob people there much more than they consider robbing anything in La Union. I've been here 2+ years now. I'm not saying it won't happen but I've been lucky so far and I'm as prepared as I can be for when it does. I wouldn't feel any more comfortable living in El Batey and I wouldn't have any false comforts about living in a gated community with armed security neither.

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Anyone surprised?? More robberies during low season is normal here and sosua is in for a loooooooow season... It will take some time, if ever...., to attract a new type of tourists... And during this time one need to be extra careful... Not all motoconchos, chulos, tigueres, can paint the street, work with Air Dominicana or develop the Dominican Space program

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a limit to the circumstances where birds no not s**t their own nests. thieves will start hacking up "their own" when they get desperate enough. the tighter the security in sosua and el batey, the more police persecutes the guilty, the more chances those fellows will start sloshing throats of their neighbours. it's a question of time.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
You are absolutely right but that is the point. The ones living out here are going to La Mulata and El Batey to rob people there much more than they consider robbing anything in La Union. I've been here 2+ years now. I'm not saying it won't happen but I've been lucky so far and I'm as prepared as I can be for when it does. I wouldn't feel any more comfortable living in El Batey and I wouldn't have any false comforts about living in a gated community with armed security neither.

Why live under such threat at all? This is what I don't get, and no, everywhere does not have the issues that that area springs up on an all too regular basis. I presume most moving there these days have obligations they can not drop, but it's quite sad, such a beautiful area with such ugly goings on.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
wow, bred, sad news. and how is tatiana? was she home? was she hurt? do they have any security: alarm, dogs, bars in windows?
fill us in a bit, this may be valuable info for someone thinking about security of their own property...

Tatiana was not hurt, just scared. Dogs - yes, bars, walls, barb wire - yes. Do they ever help?

Looks like police is non-existent in this country.

Status
Not open for further replies.